Debenhams

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Post Reply
User avatar
josef k
Posts: 675
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:15 pm
Location: Emba

Debenhams

Post by josef k » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:19 pm

The word on the street (and in the staff canteen at the store) is that the Paphos Debenhams will be closing in March. It will be replaced by something else as yet unknown. The one in Nicosia has already been replaced by H&M, so it may be something similar.

Not so dramatic as it sounds as the store is, in fact, owned by the Shacolas group who have a Debenhams franchise. They also own Superhome Centre and have the franchises for Next, OVS,and Zako

Kili01
Posts: 2283
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:41 am

Re: Debenhams

Post by Kili01 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:30 pm

When I was in the UK at Christmas the media were hinting that Debenhams stores weren’t doing well and that some or all of their stores might have to close as some other department stores have already. It’s sad but true that there are increasing numbers of empty shops on many British high streets. So maybe that is why Shacolas are looking around for another franchise.

And the increasing use of internet shopping is one of the main causes... It seems that many potential buyers use shops on the high street like display centres, but then return home to order their intending purchases there using the internet. Which is very unfair on shops who are deprived of sales which are needed to pay staff salaries and other overheads like rates and electricity bills.

Dee

boycott
Posts: 282
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:25 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: Debenhams

Post by boycott » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:33 pm

The Debenhams in the tourist area in Limassol is closing down I think next year as the land has been sold to redevelop into luxury office/apartments as Limassol does not have enough luxury empty offices and apartments.
No idea if they are relocating the shop.

User avatar
Happy in Cyprus
Posts: 5034
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:08 am
Location: Ha Potami, Kouklia
Contact:

Re: Debenhams

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:19 am

Kili01 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:30 pm
Which is very unfair on shops who are deprived of sales which are needed to pay staff salaries and other overheads like rates and electricity bills. Dee

You can't, Canute-like, change the rapid evolution in shopping habits.

It's up to retailers to evolve and embrace the internet revolution. Some retailers have, very successfully; those that don't face a miserable future.

Kili01
Posts: 2283
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:41 am

Re: Debenhams

Post by Kili01 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:15 am

Yes, I agree with you to a degree Lloyd. But there are still a lot of people who aren’t
good with computers , particularly, but not exclusively older people.
It is also quite depressing to see all the empty shops along the high street in towns in the UK. The internet is useful for ordering some things, but not clothes. But this means that you have no opportunity to see something before you have paid for it.
I don't like ordering clothes on line, as there is no guarantee that your usual size will in fact fit, or that the style or cut of the garment will suit. That’s a good reason for trying things on first in a store...
Dee

User avatar
Dominic
Site Admin
Posts: 10027
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Polemi
Contact:

Re: Debenhams

Post by Dominic » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:43 am

Happy in Cyprus wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:19 am

You can't, Canute-like, change the rapid evolution in shopping habits.
This is a terrible slur on King Cnut!

He wasn't trying to change anything! He was demonstrating to his fauning sycophants that he COULDN'T turn back the tide.

The story of King Cnut is a classic case of perfectly accurate reporting being misinterpreted by the masses. You only have to read any history book to see that he was demonstrating he couldn't turn back the tide, yet he is forever represented as some pompous, bumbling fool who thought he could do anything.

Poor unlucky Cnut.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.

User avatar
Happy in Cyprus
Posts: 5034
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:08 am
Location: Ha Potami, Kouklia
Contact:

Re: Debenhams

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:32 am

Kili01 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:15 am
I don't like ordering clothes on line, as there is no guarantee that your usual size will in fact fit, or that the style or cut of the garment will suit. That’s a good reason for trying things on first in a store...Dee

Agree with you about clothes Dee, but if you are familiar with a brand's sizing and it's consistency, it is ok to buy online, and I do. Shoes is another case in point where trying on in a shop is better. But we are all moving over to internet shopping, to a greater or lesser degree. Same for travel: I can think back to the bad old days when we had to queue at a travel agent simply to book flight or hotel or car hire.

But whatever you and I think, buying clothes online has really taken off, with evening viewing swamped with online clothes retailer ads. This Guardian article https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... t-predicts suggests that by 2028 over half of shopping will be onine, driven mainly by the younger generation's acceptance of and desire for it. Like I said, retailers will have to adapt to survive.
Last edited by Happy in Cyprus on Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cookie
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 9:57 am

Re: Debenhams

Post by Cookie » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:39 am

Kili01 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:15 am
Yes, I agree with you to a degree Lloyd. But there are still a lot of people who aren’t
good with computers , particularly, but not exclusively older people.
It is also quite depressing to see all the empty shops along the high street in towns in the UK. The internet is useful for ordering some things, but not clothes. But this means that you have no opportunity to see something before you have paid for it.
I don't like ordering clothes on line, as there is no guarantee that your usual size will in fact fit, or that the style or cut of the garment will suit. That’s a good reason for trying things on first in a store...
Dee
As you say, it might be a generational thing but my son & daughter (30 & 20) do most if not all of their shopping online. They see nothing in ordering something and if they don't like it or doesn't fit sending it back for a refund, especially with the buy and return systems being pretty efficient and straightforward these days. Why would they go into town where parking expenses can be horrendous given some councils actively discourage people using their cars when they can sit at home and order online. They can try things on in the comfort of their own home and sometimes have a better idea of what something looks like in natural light rather than in a pokey little dressing room.

As HiC said, that's just the way things are now and businesses need to adapt their processes or wither on the vine :(

kansas
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:38 am

Re: Debenhams

Post by kansas » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:20 am

My wife does both, buying on line and going to stores. However, whilst I get what Lloyd is saying about being "familiar with a brand's sizing and its consistency" this doesn't always work out. So many of the stores have changed the style and cut, have started using cheaper material and are now less than generous with the sizing. My wife is a size 12 but is having to buy size 14 in M & S. She bought two identical tops this week, same sizing, one fitted perfectly, the other was too tight and had to be returned. Just saying.....

Kili01
Posts: 2283
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:41 am

Re: Debenhams

Post by Kili01 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:01 pm

Yes, Kansas I agree with what you wrote about some stores inconsistent sizing of many of their garments. M & S, for example, are a company which have this problem. Once upon a time (say several years at least) the companies quality of both materials used, and the actual sizing. could be guaranteed. Once I had established my size according to trying garments in store, I could then select garments across their range, in my size as being very likely to fit.
But no more, if you read some of the reviews on their own web site, other customers are making the same comments about both their quality, fit and sizing,
Which is why although I would rather not, I like to try a selection of new garments in store and buy there and then, knowing that I won’t have the bother of returning things which aren’t Suitable.
So I hope that enough people will continue to visit town center stores to help keep them open.
Young people in well paid jobs can afford to buy on line and faff about deciding what to keep.
Many retired people, may not be confident using a computer & don't want to do this. Both sides should respect each others views.
Dee

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 2160
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:56 am
Location: Chloraka

Re: Debenhams

Post by Lincoln » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:45 pm

I have very rarely ever ordered anything online. In fact only twice in the time since we moved in 2003. We love to mooch around the shops try things out/on and then make the decision wether to purchase or not.
All things are possible

User avatar
mike strand2
Posts: 1053
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:30 am
Location: Kissonerga

Re: Debenhams

Post by mike strand2 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:12 am

I personally dislike clothes shopping, but do not believe that the option is ordering on-line for the reasons stated by others above; sizing, quality, colour, etc..

galexinda
Posts: 1181
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:47 am
Location: Paphos

Re: Debenhams

Post by galexinda » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:49 pm

Bad enough going to the shops and trying to find clothes and shoes that fit - tend to take at least 2 different sizes of the same item into the changing room and as for shoes just show the salesperson my feet and take it from there! Used to order items through the post when I lived in the UK, but not keen on sharing my financial details with too many companies or payment systems and in fact use a stand-alone system (ie not linked to any other account) for my shopping purchases.

User avatar
Diocletian
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:08 pm
Location: Neo Chorio.
Contact:

Re: Debenhams

Post by Diocletian » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:40 pm

A huge part of the problem in the UK with regard to the traditional High Street, is the astronomical business rates that are applied. There are now piecemeal moves by both Local and national Government to reverse the trend in the High Streets dying. Only time will tell but a useful weapon is, buy locally.

Jim B
Posts: 1884
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am

Re: Debenhams

Post by Jim B » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:16 pm

High streets are thing of the past. We've moved on to buying on line. Our family buys most of our wants and needs on line. Recently we bought a new Samsung induction hob from Amazon that was half the price of anything we could find in Paphos. Debenhams is overpriced and has a limited size range so why bother going shopping.
Jim

kansas
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:38 am

Re: Debenhams

Post by kansas » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:24 am

Well if shops are going to be a thing of the past, let's hope the postal and courier services improve!

mouse
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:22 pm

Re: Debenhams

Post by mouse » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:20 pm

Hic I don't disagree about embracing the internet shopping, but delivery/posting companies need to embrace it too , most of all Cyprus post, although i suspect it's the unions , as usual chucking a spanner in the works. Personally I far prefer traditional shopping, i like to look, pick it up and shake it before purchase.

User avatar
josef k
Posts: 675
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:15 pm
Location: Emba

Re: Debenhams

Post by josef k » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:57 pm

Back to the subject.

The word is that Debenhams in Paphos will be renamed ERA and will be much like it is now in terms of categories of stock. However the Debenhams branding and associated brands (e.g. Red Herring) will not be stocked, being replaced with more mainstream brands. Some are already in place.
The change-over is due during March.

User avatar
mike strand2
Posts: 1053
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:30 am
Location: Kissonerga

Re: Debenhams

Post by mike strand2 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:20 am

josef k wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:57 pm
Back to the subject.

The word is that Debenhams in Paphos will be renamed ERA and will be much like it is now in terms of categories of stock. However the Debenhams branding and associated brands (e.g. Red Herring) will not be stocked, being replaced with more mainstream brands. Some are already in place.
The change-over is due during March.
This will be the 4th change of name in my 11 years in Cyprus. F W Woolworth, Ermes, Debenhams & now ERA. All owned by the Shacolas Group.

If interested to read the profile of Nicolas Shacolas click here https://premiere-magazine.com.cy/nicola ... t-success/

Post Reply