Where to buy real saffron?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Happy in Cyprus

Where to buy real saffron?

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:20 am

Many moons ago we were wandering through a village in the Troodos mountains (think it was Omodos) and we came across a herb shop selling what we were told was real saffron, as opposed to pseudo Saffron. We bought some as a gift for a friend in America and she was over the moon to receive it, as the real stuff is incredibly expensive in supermarkets.

Does anyone know where real saffron can be bought in the Paphos area?

Aargent

Re: Where to buy real saffron?

Post by Aargent » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:54 am

Are you sure it was real Lloyd.
It is so expensive because it is an extremely labor-intensive crop.The buds developed to complete flowers in the fall. Each flower has three threadlike thing in the center. ... more than 80,000 crocus flowers must be grown, cared for, hand-harvested and processed to make one pound of saffron. Can cost up to € 5000 a pound.
In a previous life I used to supply the kitchens at Gleneagles Hotel and the Chef kept the Saffron in the safe.
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum

Jamboal

Post by Jamboal » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:50 pm

I believe Smarts stock it, also it would be worth contacting Catherine at the Spice House in Peristerona as I’m sure she sells it as well.

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:06 pm

Thanks both. Yes Aargent I am aware of the reasons for the scarcity and price of real saffron...but I found your observations really interesting. I was told that what we bought was real, and because it came from a herb shop up in the mountains I was inclined to believe what I was told, but who knows? I suppose the only sure fire way to know real saffron when you see it is by the price being charged.

PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:52 pm

Many people sell saffron as the genuine article when in fact it's a mix / blend and will change colour to yellow immediately you pour water over a little of it.

A nice little video here about it and how to test if it's real or fake:

I don't think a trip to Iran may be in the offing...
It is I, LeClerc :lol:

PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:56 pm

I did find this place which sells online and says they source from Persia / Iran and they do ship to Cyprus:
https://www.thepersiantrader.com/

jagwheels

Post by jagwheels » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:29 pm

I found this interesting. As a Cornishman saffron is often used in cakes & a cousin once asked me if we could buy it in Paphos as it was very expensive. Found some in the old market, yellow in colour & inexpensive. Never did hear how it went but she never made me a saffron cake again. Not sure if a vendor would allow you to perform the tests in Photolady's video to check if real :shock:

Austin7

Post by Austin7 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:02 pm

I buy REAL Spanish saffron in AlphaMega usually under the brand name Vilux. It is usually in small plastic boxes (but sometimes in very small glass jars) and the contents in the box is 1 gram. From memory costs approaching 5 euros. It is, of course, where all the other spices are located. Like one box of these:- https://www.augustenoel.co.uk/vilux-bes ... 2x27184836

Kili01

Post by Kili01 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:20 pm

I saw some Saffron in the large herb and spices section at Papantinou yesterday in small glass bottles, but can’t vouch for its quality,. It was in the Chloraka store,

Dee

Kili01

Post by Kili01 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:22 pm

I saw some Saffron in the large herb and spices section at Papantinou yesterday in small glass bottles, but can’t vouch for its quality,. It was in the Chloraka store,

Dee

Austin7

Post by Austin7 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:21 pm

If it's not expensive you can guarantee it's not real saffron.

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:11 am

Thank you to everyone, and in partticular to Photolady and Austin7. Video was most informative and revealing.

I had assumed saffron was just a food colourant, but it seems it has many properties: https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingre ... 44/saffron

PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:29 am

Welcome 😊

I found jagwheels response highly entertaining and I reckon it explains why no more cake ever appeared 😉