Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jim B

Re: Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Post by Jim B » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:44 am

Lloyd
I don't think Jimgym is so much a pro-Brexiter as believes the democratic process would be damaged if we don't leave; please correct me if I'm wrong Jimgym.
I disagree with him because I think the system is broken already; especially when paying a billion pound bung to an insignificant political party keeps a minority party in power but we're all entitled to our opinion.

Jim

Jimgym

Post by Jimgym » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:42 am

Happy in Cyprus wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:17 am
Go on Jim B, ask jimgym the magic question that we all want the answer to. He won't talk to me ;)
Oh do grow up. You have alienated many on here with your pathetic behaviour yet you continue. How very sad.

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:18 am

How convenient that you choose to insult me each time, rather than answer the question Remainers await with baited breath; what are the positives to arise from Brexit?

I think we'll take that as a "No, there are none".

JimX

Post by JimX » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:13 am

How and why did people vote to leave without an inkling of what would happen? I have always found this amazing, at first I thought it was just a racist vote brought about by that fool Farage, but no, I do not think that is a valid reason, I await the future with trepidation of what the UK has done to itself, of course if some brexiters here could maybe say why and what leaving EU is good for us all? maybe you still think Britain is a world power :D
Jim.

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:58 am

I saw this Tweet recently Jim. Perfectly encapsulates the sentiment:

Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:05 am

Happy in Cyprus wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:18 am
How convenient that you choose to insult me each time, rather than answer the question Remainers await with baited breath; what are the positives to arise from Brexit?

Believe what you want, but the truth is you have just been so obnoxious to the opposing side in this debate that they choose not to respond with any sensible answers. Nobody can blame them for that.

I gave one a while back though. Not having to abide by CAP.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:29 am

I have also asked for any reasons for leaving and nothing. Anyone I know or who have heard asked about it have come out with the usual garbage of EU policies, protecting our borders, sovereignty, but when it came down to it, many were purely down to anti-immigration and some pure racism, or imperialist attitudes.The immigrants are blamed for overwhelming the NHS. 99% of the immigrants are working age or kids. Most users of the NHS are retiral age. I wonder if over a million retirees from the EU - ex pats - were to be sent back, how would the NHS cope then?
Last edited by Jimgward on Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jim B

Post by Jim B » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:42 am

Dominic wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:05 am
Happy in Cyprus wrote:

Believe what you want, but the truth is you have just been so obnoxious to the opposing side in this debate that they choose not to respond with any sensible answers. Nobody can blame them for that.

I looked up CAP and initially the cost of CAP was 85% of budget, now it's 37% so it hs dropped considerably. I suppose that's what happens when you're on the inside changing things rather on the outside looking in with no input.
No one said or even suggested the EU is perfect.

Jim

Devil

Post by Devil » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:18 pm

Jim B wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:42 am
Just exactly like the UK will be imperfect, no matter the outcome.

Les Bean

Post by Les Bean » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:33 pm

Jimgward wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:29 am
I have also asked for any reasons for leaving and nothing. Anyone I know or who have heard asked about it have come out with the usual garbage of EU policies, protecting our borders, sovereignty, but when it came down to it, many were purely down to anti-immigration and some pure racism, or imperialist attitudes.The immigrants are blamed for overwhelming the NHS. 99% of the immigrants are working age or kids. Most users of the NHS are retiral age. I wonder if over a million retirees from the EU - ex pats - were to be sent back, how would the NHS cope then?
Spot on Jim, those who are in favour of leaving are long on generalities and short on specifics. We are all inherently selfish (to varying degrees), so when I ask myself the question"How will I and my family, here and in the UK have our lives improved and enhanced when we leave the EU " I fail completely. If anyone can give any answer I'm more than ready to accept it

Jimgym

Post by Jimgym » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:45 pm

Dominic wrote:
Happy in Cyprus wrote:

Thank you Dominic, it's exactly why I don't wish to debate with him. As to why people chose to vote leave, that is up to them and they don't need to defend it to anyone on here. Leave won, Remain lost and that is it.

The Aquila

Post by The Aquila » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:56 pm

As I previously asked HiC and he chose to ignore it. Do you think it right that Ford should have been able to use EU funding to build a Transit Factory in Turkey thus closing the Southampton Factory making over 3000 redundant plus the knock on effect with subcontractors and the local economy?

To me, that’s one good reason why the people of Southampton areas voted to leave!

Ok, it’s not the question you asked but for every reason I can see to remain, there is another to leave.

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:52 pm

Aquila - no knowledge of the Ford issue, but if true, totally wrong.

However, in the greater scheme of things, it pales into insignificance when we look at the negatives of leaving.

Les Bean

Post by Les Bean » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:00 pm

Jimgym wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:45 pm
Dominic wrote:
Happy in Cyprus wrote:

Thank you Dominic, it's exactly why I don't wish to debate with him. As to why people chose to vote leave, that is up to them and they don't need to defend it to anyone on here. Leave won, Remain lost and that is it.
I don't think anyone is asking people to defend their reasons for voting leave. We are asking how are lives are going to be better when we do leave

Devil

Post by Devil » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:34 pm

The Aquila wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:56 pm
Do you think it right that Ford should have been able to use EU funding to build a Transit Factory in Turkey thus closing the Southampton Factory making over 3000 redundant plus the knock on effect with subcontractors and the local economy?
This is obviously a corporate decision to move the plant, for whatever reason, and has little relevance to 'looking like a No Deal'.

Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:38 pm

Jim B wrote:
Dominic wrote:
Happy in Cyprus wrote:

I looked up CAP and initially the cost of CAP was 85% of budget, now it's 37% so it hs dropped considerably. I suppose that's what happens when you're on the inside changing things rather on the outside looking in with no input.

Jim
The question wasn't "Is the EU perfect?". The question was asking for positives to leaving. Not having to abide by CAP is one of them.

There is no point people saying that people cannot post positives for leaving, if any positive is just ignored.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:23 pm

CAP might be seen as a positive for staying - I’m sure many farmers would agree.....

Jim B

Post by Jim B » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:27 pm

Dominic wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:38 pm
Jim B wrote:
Dominic wrote:

Jim
The question wasn't "Is the EU perfect?". The question was asking for positives to leaving. Not having to abide by CAP is one of them.

There is no point people saying that people cannot post positives for leaving, if any positive is just ignored.
I never ignored it, I made an observation that it's not as much a drain on the budget as it once was. I would guess if you're a farmer losing the subsidies the CAP brings then it would not be positive.

Jim

Jim B

Post by Jim B » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:40 pm

Devil wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:34 pm
The Aquila wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:56 pm
Do you think it right that Ford should have been able to use EU funding to build a Transit Factory in Turkey thus closing the Southampton Factory making over 3000 redundant plus the knock on effect with subcontractors and the local economy?
This is obviously a corporate decision to move the plant, for whatever reason, and has little relevance to 'looking like a No Deal'.
This link confirms Devils comments, It was a corporate decision.
I can remember International Harvester doing exactly the same in Liverpool, shut down production and moved to another country where production was cheaper and subsidies better and that was before the EU.

JIM

https://infacts.org/eu-not-paying-uk-firms-outsource/

Jimgym

Post by Jimgym » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:58 pm

Les Bean wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:00 pm
Jimgym wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:45 pm
Dominic wrote:

I don't think anyone is asking people to defend their reasons for voting leave. We are asking how are lives are going to be better when we do leave
Les, I can post many reasons why people feel things will be better, I could do the same for staying in the EU. A cursory google search will pull up many sites extolling the virtues of both. As I never voted leave, which incidentally I mentioned in one of my first ever posts on here, I can't answer for anyone who did vote that way. My point, and I've said it many times is that the people voted (for whatever reason) to leave, and that should be respected. Neither side is going to back down so it becomes a pointless exercise trying to defend your position and convince the other side that you are right and they are wrong. Sadly, some have become so incredibly unpleasant, and then sought to blame others when they retaliate in the same manner. A sad state of affairs in many ways.