2021 opening planned for Neo Chorio theme park

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

2021 opening planned for Neo Chorio theme park

Post by Paphos Life »

Greens say planning permit would never have been issued under current legislationA large-scale theme park, "Mythos", is planned for Neo Chorio in Paphos and should open to the public in 2021, according to the project's investors from Cyprus and Hong Kong....

Read the article and chat about it below...
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: 2021 opening planned for Neo Chorio theme park

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Great idea and another reason to hurry up with the motorway towards Polis. It will change the whole area to awake from a deep slumber it is since >30 years I can remember. Obviously the ugly looking new hotel nearby knew already about it...

Max
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Well at least this project is apparently outside the Natura 2000 conservation area, though not far away.... I wonder how long it will be before there is a rash of ‘new and sustainable ‘ concrete development within that area?
The name ‘Mythos’ seems to ring a bell. Does anyone remember the plan for such a theme park to be built at Aphrodites Rock a number of years ago? Fortunately the tide of public opinion about despoiling this beautiful landmark was so great that this plan was turned down or shelved. But is this a similar idea in another place with an association with her?
Dee
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I find the new Hotel on the skyline very attractive and a vast improvement on the existing network? of Hotels.
All things are possible
Asteri

Post by Asteri »

I think it is very sad to wake up this sleepy area with such developments! I love the natural beauty and think this area should be protected as much as possible!
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:00 am Great idea and another reason to hurry up with the motorway towards Polis. It will change the whole area to awake from a deep slumber it is since >30 years I can remember. Obviously the ugly looking new hotel nearby knew already about it...

Max
what is the name of that hotel?
Louise :)
Galini

Post by Galini »

Asteri wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:44 am I think it is very sad to wake up this sleepy area with such developments! I love the natural beauty and think this area should be protected as much as possible!
Hear Hear - I couldn't agree more !
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Lincoln wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:07 pm Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I find the new Hotel on the skyline very attractive and a vast improvement on the existing network? of Hotels.
The hotel is not even opened, and among other things the ugly looking wooden construction is one of the reasons that there is no permit issued yet...a "nice" :roll: photo at this link:
https://in-cyprus.com/latsi-hotel-licen ... emolished/

Max
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Oh yes I've seen that very ugly block. Really terrible.
Louise :)
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

LouiseCastricum wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:18 am
cyprusmax47 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:00 am Great idea and another reason to hurry up with the motorway towards Polis. It will change the whole area to awake from a deep slumber it is since >30 years I can remember. Obviously the ugly looking new hotel nearby knew already about it...

Max
what is the name of that hotel?
As far as I know, the name will be announced very soon as finally the permits will be issued within days...

Interesting the article from Cyprus Tourist board explaining also the delays... a typical Cypriot story... :lol:

""Questions have been raised over a four-storey hotel that has sprung up in the Latchi area of Paphos, taking up a prominent place on the small community’s seaside hills.
As reported by Philelefheros on Thursday, the authorities have acknowledged the hotel was built without a relevant permit but noted one had now been approved and would be issued within the coming days. The paper also revealed that the authorities did not take legal action to prevent construction and allowed the hotel to be built to a height of four storeys even though the majority of other buildings in the area are no more that two storeys high.

Polis Chrysochous Municipal Engineer Spyros Spyrou confirmed that the hotel was built without a building permit but said one had been approved and would be issued in a matter of days. He revealed the permit had not been issued earlier because the official handling the inspection of the hotel’s biological waste facilities was arrested as part of the Koshi (Hyti) Landfill scandal.

On why the municipality did not take legal action to prevent construction from continuing in the meantime, Spyrou said that similar efforts in the past had failed to bring about the desired results. He also explained that by the time the court would have been able to view the case, the hotel would have in any case already have been built.

Paphos district Town Planning official Elena Christofidou, meanwhile, told the paper the head of the Town Planning Department had approved two additional floors being added to what would have originally been a two-storey development.

The structure, which according to Phileleftheros is owned by a Russian national and a Greek Cypriot, was also reportedly awarded a higher building co-efficient in line with a Cabinet-decision to support..."

Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

So, this is the area of the planned theme park. I personally prefer this future business more than the existing messy looking sheep farms, green houses or abandoned cars (not to talk about the dumped rubbish everywhere) which one can recognize on this screen shot from Bing.

Max
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

What a pity turning productive farmland into a mainly concrete covered tourist site. If the theme park proves popular it certainly seems likely to spoil both the peacefulness and the natural beauty of this area. Why won’t the planners realise that not all tourists who choose to take their holiday here want the distraction of a noisy water park or theme park both of which are available in most countries they come from.. Some come to enjoy the scenery as they explore the island and want to stay in a secluded *5 star hotel with a nice beach which offers them peace and seclusion.. This could include the celebs who want to stay at the Anassa which is also close to this area.
Dee
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:44 pm What a pity turning productive farmland into a mainly concrete covered tourist site. If the theme park proves popular it certainly seems likely to spoil both the peacefulness and the natural beauty of this area. Why won’t the planners realise that not all tourists who choose to take their holiday here want the distraction of a noisy water park or theme park both of which are available in most countries they come from.. Some come to enjoy the scenery as they explore the island and want to stay in a secluded *5 star hotel with a nice beach which offers them peace and seclusion.. This could include the celebs who want to stay at the Anassa which is also close to this area.
Dee
I would suggest that you have a little ride to that specific area and realise yourself that there is NO natural beauty left. Next to the photo I posted above is in 500 m distance a messy quarry as well as plenty barren land. The area where the park will be erected is 1 km away from the beach and the harbour and no tourist would have the idea to explore that river valley now. By the way: the Anassa Hotel is in 4 km distance and not as you mentioned close to this area. I lived more than 20 years nearby and even did organic farming until my lease contract expired, so I know a little bit about this environment.

So here a screen shot from the quarry-like activities, on the left hand side part of a training area the Cypriot Army is using as well - beautiful!

Max
Asteri

Post by Asteri »

Rubbish can be cleaned up, a farm is by far, more important than a theme park! For goodness sake the world is full of these places. Leave the natural beauty as it is and let the people who enjoy peace and quiet have something too! It’s diabolical that we take from nature for the financial gain of a few!