DRIVING IN SANDALS

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
TandC

DRIVING IN SANDALS

Post by TandC »

Heard a story today of someone fined 85 Euros on the spot for driving in sandals. Anyone know if this is legit?t
memory man

Re: DRIVING IN SANDALS

Post by memory man »

Possibly the same story as this..................

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9982&hilit=flip
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I don't think there is any problem driving in Sandals, they are strapped to your feet.. As Brian mentions Flip flops are dangerous..
When you say you heard the story today... Where from ???
Trev..
TandC

Post by TandC »

The fact that it is an "on the spot" fine makes me suspicious.Normally I think you get a ticket and pay at the bank.
TandC

Post by TandC »

Heard the story just in"conversation"-could be just a Cyprus Rumour? I have seen many motorcyclists in Flip Flops!!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I think, but am not sure, that the term 'on the spot fine' means you are given a ticket with a fine on it.
You pay the ticket at any bank. If you don't pay or challenge the ticket then I think it goes to court .
Trev..
TandC

Post by TandC »

In this intance they were asked(I am told) to stump up there and then?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Wow, That is a 'new' trend... I was not aware that the police or wardens were allowed to take money (cash) off people .. I wonder if they asked for and got a receipt.. ?
Trev..
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I often drive in my bare feet, that's if I'm wearing flip flips I take them off.

Jim
WHL

Post by WHL »

As far as I know, no one takes money there and then, probably one of the , I heard it down the pub myths
JimX

Post by JimX »

No such thing as ''on the spot fines'' you get a ticket and pay at most banks, speaking from experience. :x
Jim.
memory man

Post by memory man »

trevnhil wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:21 pm I think, but am not sure, that the term 'on the spot fine' means you are given a ticket with a fine on it.
You pay the ticket at any bank. If you don't pay or challenge the ticket then I think it goes to court .
I agree with Trev.

What if you don't have enough cash on you
or a credit card! then you cannot pay an 'on the spot fine'.
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

In the summer when I'm over I always carry a pair of trainers in the boot. Or drive bare foot which is not as easy as you think.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

But I still feel there is nothing at all wrong with driving in Sandals. The ones I wear, and drive in, have two Velcro straps that keep them on my feet..
Trev..
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

It must have been flip flops sandals are fine
David
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, I drive wearing good sandals which have 3 velcro straps, 2 over the foot and one around the heel. They are fine, never move. But I would not drive wearing flip flops or with bare feet. It’s common sense.
Dee
Ams

Post by Ams »

When a friend of a friend was stopped last summer, the policeman told her that it was illegal to drive here in any shoes that don't have back, so sandals with a strap round the heal are fine, but sandals with nothing to hold it in place at the back are not. She was also told that you are not allowed to drive barefoot here - the policeman wouldn't let her drive home, in her sandals or barefoot, she had to call her husband to bring her some shoes.

I can't say for sure this is true, as I didn't hear it directly myself, and it's never happened to me, but my friend was told it directly by the person it happened to. I can't remember if she was actually fined, or just given a warning.

I don't agree with the backless aspect myself, there are plenty of sandals that don't have a back but have good straps across the foot that keep it firmly in place. I keep a spare pair of shoes with a back in the boot, just in case...
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Driver ‘wearing flip flops’ ploughs VW Golf underneath Nissan Qashqai in horror crash in Birmingham

https://www.trendswide.com/driver-weari ... irmingham/
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

This is an old post resurrected, but it does indeed say the driver of the Golf was wearing shorts and flip flops
But nowhere in the account does anyone mention that wearing the flip flops contributed to the crash.
In fact there seems to be no reason given for the crash.
Like Dee in an above comment, I drive wearing sandals with no problems at all .
Trev..
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

As I understand it, driving in flip flops, sandals or bare feet is illegal as is eating when driving, I'm not sure if that includes drinking any liquid as the article in a UK paper never differentiated.

Jim