Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Not what we wanted to hear: it's looking like a No Deal :(

Post by Dominic »

Merely the actions of a government wanting to show it is serious about leaving. Nothing is certain with Brexit until it actually happens.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

And if the Govt. didn’t have contingency plans those same people would be moaning about them being unprepared.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Rightly or wrongly I don't see why we should have to follow EU directives if we leave without a deal and by this I am not saying that a no-deal exit is a good thing.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The UK don't have to. However, if they want to have a trade agreement with them then this is the sort of thing that will have a big impact on it.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Varky wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:21 pm Rightly or wrongly I don't see why we should have to follow EU directives if we leave without a deal and by this I am not saying that a no-deal exit is a good thing.
Who says we have to? However, if we want to trade with any block, there may be restrictions within there rules, preventing certain things....

Such as delegating London as the money-laundering capital of the world, being non-congruent with some trades....
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

And just think, if only people like you had bothered to get off their arse and vote in the referendum, this wouldn't have happened. So enough with the hand wringing.
outasite

Post by outasite »

Dominic wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:04 am And just think, if only people like you had bothered to get off their arse and vote in the referendum, this wouldn't have happened. So enough with the hand wringing.

👏👏👏👏 Well said.
outasite

Post by outasite »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:23 am I really cannot believe that Johnson would stoop so low...and if true it will come back to bite him 100 times over.

The EU holds a weapon 27 times larger than the UK and will seek to punish the UK and it's citizens for any act of sabotage. It bodes ill for those of us who live and work in Europe.

Aahh yes, Robert Peston. Ever loving boyfriend of the girl with the sad case of a 20 year amnesia blockage which, hallelulah, came back just at the right time to add to the long long list of left wing actions to discredit Boris Johnson. None of which have knocked him off course.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Outasite
Preston is quoting from an article in the Spectator; he never wrote it and is just commenting on it which he has every right to do just like you.

Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Why do people have to always make it left or right? Opposing a clown like Johnson, on his unlawful acts, isn’t leftish?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Lloyd
I think you'll find it was initially leaked to the Spectator from a source within number 10 but not to worry.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:39 pm
Dominic wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:04 amAnd just think, if only people like you had bothered to get off their arse and vote in the referendum, this wouldn't have happened. So enough with the hand wringing.

And you took me to task the other day for snide comments?

On what basis do you make the assertion that the outcome would have been different had everyone 'bothered to vote'?

Had voting been compulsory, the result might have been even more in favour of Leave.
1. My comment wasn't snide. It was pretty direct.
2. Had people like you, who are against Brexit but couldn't be bothered to get off their arse and vote, actually voted, then the result would have been more in favour of remain. This is not rocket science.
3. Nobody said anything about voting being compulsory.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

IF anyone believes we are leaving at the end of the month, on a no-deal, get onto the bookies as there’s lads of money to be made....

Now, either the bookies are wrong - or we aren’t leaving.... (Paddy~Power)
5702A915-6321-4420-8151-F5F89858BB6B.jpeg
5702A915-6321-4420-8151-F5F89858BB6B.jpeg (33.46 KiB) Viewed 5727 times
42F4921A-9C32-4377-BBC2-C2362B020D9A.jpeg
42F4921A-9C32-4377-BBC2-C2362B020D9A.jpeg (17.9 KiB) Viewed 5727 times
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:52 pm
Rocket science and supposition aside, I would be interested to know how you can assert so categorically that those who didn't vote would have voted Remain.
Your trouble is you don't actually read what people say.

This is what I said:

"And just think, if only people like you had bothered to get off their arse and vote in the referendum, this wouldn't have happened. So enough with the hand wringing."

Specifically, I said, people like you. By that I meant remainers with strong opinions who didn't bother to vote. IE people like you.

You have belittled people for a long time on this forum, and upset a lot of people. So don't get the high horse when a pithy comment lands in your direction. The reason it came from me and not one of the Brexiters, is because they have pretty much given up trying to have a conversation with you.

And who can blame them?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jimgward wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:52 pm IF anyone believes we are leaving at the end of the month, on a no-deal, get onto the bookies as there’s lads of money to be made....

Now, either the bookies are wrong - or we aren’t leaving.... (Paddy~Power)
5702A915-6321-4420-8151-F5F89858BB6B.jpeg42F4921A-9C32-4377-BBC2-C2362B020D9A.jpeg
Well, they were wrong in the referendum itself, and I was watching them like a hawk then. Not because I am a gambler (I'm not) but because I found it a fascinating thing to observe.

Actually I remember the night of the referendum, when the results started coming in, at one point you could get 10:1 on leave winning, because the first results were all remain. I even considered hedging my money (we were soon going to buy a house) and betting 10K on leave, which would have easily covered what we eventually lost when the exchange rate crashed. However, I didn't, for two reasons. First betting 10K on a two horse race at those odds is just insane. Second, I wasn't even sure that the bet would be valid, me being in a different country to the bookies, and all that.

Interesting observation, thanks.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Dominic wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:18 pm
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:52 pm
Rocket science and supposition aside, I would be interested to know how you can assert so categorically that those who didn't vote would have voted Remain.
You have belittled people for a long time on this forum, and upset a lot of people. So don't get the high horse when a pithy comment lands in your direction. The reason it came from me and not one of the Brexiters, is because they have pretty much given up trying to have a conversation with you.

And who can blame them?
Pretty much sums up how it is. Sad but true.
Beechwood

Post by Beechwood »

The day the referendum result was announced I was working for 1 of the UKs largest banks. I arrived at my desk and looked around at my younger colleagues (in their 20s and 30s) who were discussing how they couldn’t believe what had just happened and how ridiculous it was. I asked them if they had voted (none had). I really didn’t need to say anymore although I made my feelings clear.

For what it’s worth my opinion is if you’re entitled to vote do so - any outcome may well affect you directly

How will it all end? Well again my opinion is that 1 or more of the EU 27 will vote against an extension. There will be an immediate vote of no confidence in the UK Tory Government. A Government of ‘national unity’ will somehow be cobbled together and in order to stop a no deal Brexit, the only option for the leader will be to revoke Article 50 (probably on October 30th)

And then we will all live happily ever after 😀
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I must agree with Lloyd; some Leavers have very short memories. If you recall I stopped posting for several months due to the vitriolic comments and personal attacks made against me by some members on here but never once retaliated or complained to Admin about it.
Many comments were acerbic to say the least but nothing was said or no one censured. Ridicule was one of their favourite weapons and was used regularly.
Leavers have no argument left so are as I've said in many posts resorting to pedantics, semantics and crying foul as another distraction.
"Let he who hath not sinned......." is a one way street by some Leavers.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The most abusive of those leavers no longer post here. They had privileges curtailed.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

And HiC, I have already answered your question. Repeating it because you don’t like the answer achieves nothing.