Privacy concerns after video of verbal racist attack goes viral (Updated)

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Privacy concerns after video of verbal racist attack goes viral (Updated)

Post by Paphos Life »

Police said on Monday they were examining video evidence and CCTV footage of a verbal racist attack by three Greek Cypriot women against a Russian woman in a Larnaca car park on Saturday night, while Child Commissioner Despo Michaelidou said she was deeply concerned because a minor was also at the scene....

Read the article and chat about it below...
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: Privacy concerns after video of verbal racist attack goes viral (Updated)

Post by cyprusmax47 »

here the video on YouTube and quite funny for the ones understanding some Greek language (Cypriot!)... :)

Max
WHL

Post by WHL »

I wont call them ladies, I just hope these scum bags, get the the full force of the law thrown at them, low life no more no less.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

It would not surprise me at all if the police pay more attention to the filming of the event by the Russian lady. It is a ridiculous law in Cyprus that stops the filming of an illegality! Is the camera in my car a waste of time?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

That law is not just in force in Cyprus. Lots of countries have privacy laws.

People who don't know the full story (me included) need to be careful here. There is an increasing tendancy for these cases to end in suicide.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
josef k

Post by josef k »

Hopefully the new Chief of Police will see this as an opportunity to show the new ethos of the police force in treating everyone the same, Cypriot or not.
I am pleased to see the outrage from Cypriot society and the fact that one of the women has lost her job. We must remember these women do not represent the majority of Cypriots.

Of course, the Orthodox Church will remain silent, as their stance towards foreigners echos that of the women.
WHL

Post by WHL »

josef k wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:09 pm Hopefully the new Chief of Police will see this as an opportunity to show the new ethos of the police force in treating everyone the same, Cypriot or not.
I am pleased to see the outrage from Cypriot society and the fact that one of the women has lost her job. We must remember these women do not represent the majority of Cypriots.

Of course, the Orthodox Church will remain silent, as their stance towards foreigners echos that of the women.
Good post until you had a pop at the Church, cheap shot.
josef k

Post by josef k »

I do think my "pop" at the church is justified, and by no means a cheap shot. A Christian church, whatever denomination, should base their words and actions on the basis that all people are equal (as God's children)and part of their wider "flock". Similarly, they should base silence and non-action in the same way.
It is apparent that the Cyprus orthodox church does not do this. Their support of extreme right wing views, their views on LGBT people, their views on Turkish Cypriots etc have been reported in local media for a number of years.
There are many Cypriots who still treat the word of the church, as uttered by the Archbishop and Bishops, as the word of God and therefore adopt the same views as the church. Their treatment of non-Cypriots etc can be seen as flowing from this.

There is a great opportunity for the church to condemn the women as being un-christian in their words and action. It is unfortunate they have not chosen to do this, and this is why I made my original comments.

Nevertheless, thanks for the complement on the majority of my post.
WHL

Post by WHL »

josef k wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:38 pm I do think my "pop" at the church is justified, and by no means a cheap shot. A Christian church, whatever denomination, should base their words and actions on the basis that all people are equal (as God's children)and part of their wider "flock". Similarly, they should base silence and non-action in the same way.
It is apparent that the Cyprus orthodox church does not do this. Their support of extreme right wing views, their views on LGBT people, their views on Turkish Cypriots etc have been reported in local media for a number of years.
There are many Cypriots who still treat the word of the church, as uttered by the Archbishop and Bishops, as the word of God and therefore adopt the same views as the church. Their treatment of non-Cypriots etc can be seen as flowing from this.

There is a great opportunity for the church to condemn the women as being un-christian in their words and action. It is unfortunate they have not chosen to do this, and this is why I made my original comments.

Nevertheless, thanks for the complement on the majority of my post.
You fail to mention all the good work the church does for migrants and refugees, daily feeding them clothing them etc, my wife often volunteers to help out in the kitchens, as for gay right etc, the orthodox church holds the view that homosexuality is an abomination, so im not suprised if we dont see them going on pride marches etc.... generalising on anything is not a good idea in my book.
josef k

Post by josef k »

I agree that there is much good work being done by churches for migrants and refugees. However, my belief is that this is only being done by non-orthodox churches. I may be wrong, and I am sure you will correct me if I am.
I recall a post on here by someone who approached the Archbishop for help with Muslim refugees and they reported that he got angry and said something along the lines of "we don't help Muslims". Again, my memory may be at fault, but perhaps others remember this.

Whether I am right or wrong, we are still left with the fact that the orthodox church has made no public comment regarding these women's behaviour. So, of course, people make assumptions and draw conclusions.
WHL

Post by WHL »

josef k wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:27 pm I agree that there is much good work being done by churches for migrants and refugees. However, my belief is that this is only being done by non-orthodox churches. I may be wrong, and I am sure you will correct me if I am.
I recall a post on here by someone who approached the Archbishop for help with Muslim refugees and they reported that he got angry and said something along the lines of "we don't help Muslims". Again, my memory may be at fault, but perhaps others remember this.

Whether I am right or wrong, we are still left with the fact that the orthodox church has made no public comment regarding these women's behaviour. So, of course, people make assumptions and draw conclusions.
It would be better if you tried doing a bit of research, before posting things that you 'assume' and are not correct, my wife for years now has been doing voluntary work, going with our Cypriot neighbour to cook, serve and clean up, for migrants and poorer people in need, It is the Orthodox Church that organises this and fiances the work....
josef k

Post by josef k »

WHL wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:03 pm
It would be better if you tried doing a bit of research, before posting things that you 'assume' and are not correct, my wife for years now has been doing voluntary work, going with our Cypriot neighbour to cook, serve and clean up, for migrants and poorer people in need, It is the Orthodox Church that organises this and fiances the work....
I did say it was my belief, and therefore not a proven fact. Nevertheless, I am delighted to stand corrected. I therefore assume, and please correct me if wrong, that this help also covers Muslim refugees (as most of them are).
WHL

Post by WHL »

josef k wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:15 pm
WHL wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:03 pm
I did say it was my belief, and therefore not a proven fact. Nevertheless, I am delighted to stand corrected. I therefore assume, and please correct me if wrong, that this help also covers Muslim refugees (as most of them are).
The Majority of them are indeed Muslims, most are middle eastern, but lately im told there are more Africans also coming to be fed.
josef k

Post by josef k »

WHL wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:36 pm
The Majority of them are indeed Muslims, most are middle eastern, but lately im told there are more Africans also coming to be fed.
Then that is excellent news and a welcome ray of sunshine.