What is. A VPN?

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
Cheshire Lad

What is. A VPN?

Post by Cheshire Lad »

I’m hearing/ seeing a fair number of adverts telling me that I should have a VPN

What is a VPN? Should I have one? Would it interfere or restrict my IPTV supply in any way, or constrain the supplier ( one of the companies known to this board who operate in the Paphos area)

What are the benefits?

Confused
CL
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: What is. A VPN?

Post by Dominic »

VPN stands for Virtual Private Network.

It is a private network (so nobody else knows what is on it) that exists within a bigger network (in your case, the internet).

For your purposes, you would connect to the VPN and from it, access whatever it is you aren't supposed to be accessing or want kept hidden. So for instance, if you connected to a VPN in the UK, you could access the BBC website, and they would think you were in the UK.

The downside is that the output from the BBC would first get sent to the VPN before being routed to your PC.

The VPN we recommend is Nord. We are affiliates to them, and anybody signing up to them through the link below will help Paphos Life.

Yay!

https://go.nordvpn.net/aff_c?offer_id=1 ... url_id=263
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Re "Would it interfere or restrict my IPTV" My Internet and IPTV supplier tells me that when a VPN is switched on it does reduce your bandwidth..
Trev..
JimX

Post by JimX »

I have used a ''virtual private network'' and yes it does reduce bandwidth, for security they maybe worth the money if you do not use a free VPN, plenty out there, my daughter never uses any streaming devices other than a PC she misses nothing regarding TV shows and films etc, easy enough to do once you get used to watching any TV without a MAG unit, I prefer the ease of use with my MAGs and you do not need any VPN, of course if you try to run several Internet streams at the same time through the same Router inevitably it will reduce MB speed.

Free TV no VPN needed
https://tvmucho.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwuNbs ... PIEALw_wcB

https://www.google.com/search?q=free+uk ... e&ie=UTF-8
Jim.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

More and more people are using VPNs now, as they object to particularly Google, Amazon’s and Facebook using data collected about them.

Google even broke the law multiple times, by having Safari on Apple devices to allow them to track people’s browsing. The UK is prosecuting them.

These companies only make money from selling on your browsing history. Ever wondered why you can look at an ad on Facebook and suddenly similar items are all over web pages? Or something discussed in a room with Alexa, suddenly appears on your browser?

These companies are now far too powerful. I’d argue that Facebook has actually made society worse. Amazon shopping is a terrible experience. They have a massive range, but try dealing with them when something goes wrong months down the line and the seller has buggered off. Don’t assume amazon take any responsibility for your purchases and warranties. They’re not a retailer in the true sense. They’re a bonded warehouse with other people’s goods.

So, a VPN can offer you more privacy and also protect you from snooping.
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

Using a free VPN is a crazy idea.

How do you think the companies make money?

Answer: by selling your data - simple.

Many videos on YouTube about this.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

The same applies to free anti-spam, free hosting, in fact free-anything (or low-cost). I willingly pay for security.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jimgward wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:40 am More and more people are using VPNs now, as they object to particularly Google, Amazon’s and Facebook using data collected about them.

Google even broke the law multiple times, by having Safari on Apple devices to allow them to track people’s browsing. The UK is prosecuting them.

These companies only make money from selling on your browsing history. Ever wondered why you can look at an ad on Facebook and suddenly similar items are all over web pages? Or something discussed in a room with Alexa, suddenly appears on your browser?

These companies are now far too powerful. I’d argue that Facebook has actually made society worse. Amazon shopping is a terrible experience. They have a massive range, but try dealing with them when something goes wrong months down the line and the seller has buggered off. Don’t assume amazon take any responsibility for your purchases and warranties. They’re not a retailer in the true sense. They’re a bonded warehouse with other people’s goods.

It's all a consequence of people wanting the internet to be free. Businesses have to get money from somewhere, and if people aren't going to pay to subscribe how else can they get money but advertise?
JimX

Post by JimX »

merchant_banker wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:40 pm Using a free VPN is a crazy idea.

How do you think the companies make money?

Answer: by selling your data - simple.

Many videos on YouTube about this.
I bet you think man did not go to the moon? I do not use a VPN have no need now, I get my TV through a couple of MAGs but if you feel the need just pay up...Conspiracy theories are rife on the Internet, they always have been. :)
Jim.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Dominic wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:26 pm
Jimgward wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:40 am More and more people are using VPNs now, as they object to particularly Google, Amazon’s and Facebook using data collected about them.

It's all a consequence of people wanting the internet to be free. Businesses have to get money from somewhere, and if people aren't going to pay to subscribe how else can they get money but advertise?
Very true. Personally I’d rather pay than be spied on and then sold out!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Most people say that but when given the option keep their wallets in their pockets.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I must admit during the small percentage of the time that we need one we use a free one.

We have in the past used a 'paid for' one, but it did not cure the geographical restrictions on some programs we wished to use..
Trev..
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I still use a free one from time to time - mostly for things like GoT etc.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
JimX

Post by JimX »

http://www.freeintertv.com/Main/?fbclid ... FpZ3PxJwgc

This is an excerlent free TV site.No VPN needed at all.
Jim.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I checked out that TV site a few weeks ago. Unfortunately most of the UK programs are powered by Filmon. This means that when you are watching BBC1 for example, every 4 minutes or so it goes to a black screen for 10 seconds and then restarts / re boots ..
Trev..
emma0103

Post by emma0103 »

thanks for the informationclick here
JimX

Post by JimX »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:58 am I checked out that TV site a few weeks ago. Unfortunately most of the UK programs are powered by Filmon. This means that when you are watching BBC1 for example, every 4 minutes or so it goes to a black screen for 10 seconds and then restarts / re boots ..
Not sure what is going on Trev, but I use it on a fairly regular basis to listen to Sky news on my PC, it never goes off for me? Oh well..
Jim.