operated without a licence last year

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paul

operated without a licence last year

Post by Paul »

Just found this on the Cyprus Mail web site.
https://cyprus-mail.com/2019/10/04/most ... d-in-2018/
trevnhil

Re: operated without a licence last year

Post by trevnhil »

I wonder if this means that the majority of hotels are unsafe in one way or another...
Trev..
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

here the reverse side of the medal from ex Elia Hotel, where I played tennis in the 80th....
https://cyprus-mail.com/2018/10/09/latc ... e-wrangle/

Max
boycott

Post by boycott »

I wonder what the tour operators make of the hotels that do not have the required licence(s)? And why have they not checked and if not why not? Or if they did check why have they ignored it?

I wonder what would happen when an insurance claim was made against the hotel, what would the response be by the insurance company?
emgee

Post by emgee »

In all honesty, I don't think that the Cypriots care. Only the Brits do.

Alan
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, but Brits aren’t the only tourists who stay in these hotels, I expect that German tourists and maybe other nationalities will also care whether their hotel is operating correctly and is properly licensed.
Also after all the fairly recent fuss about communal pools being operated safely and with a lifeguard, why should hoteliers be exempt from these regulations?

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

emgee wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:55 pm In all honesty, I don't think that the Cypriots care. Only the Brits do.

Alan
How many of those moaning, or the rest of us haven't, added bits to their properties making them illegal. closed a carport to make another room?, maybe closed a veranda to make it into another room, use a spare room to run a commercial business,, increased the height of a dividing wall, etc etc etc, I know most that live in my area have.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

WHL, I think there's a VAST difference between a private home getting some kind of illegal amendment, and a public service building that 'could' endanger many lives....

I had to take insurance on my property n Cyprus, through Intasure, as no Cypriot insurance company would cover me for 3rd-party liability more than 100,000 euros at the time. I wonder if hotels in Cyprus have appropriate insurance either?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, but Brits aren’t the only tourists who stay in these hotels, I expect that German tourists and maybe other nationalities will also care whether their hotel is operating correctly and is safe and properly licensed. But if they are traveling on an AI deal perhaps they assume their tour company has checked?
Also after all the fairly recent fuss about communal pools being operated safely and with a lifeguard, why should hoteliers be exempt from these regulations?

Dee
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I'm copying Erica's comment, as this, if true, is absolutely shocking.

--- ADMIN EDIT ---

If people want to read the comment, it is on the Cyprus Mail article. They have lawyers. We don't.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Its really worse than in Egypt... I doubt that very much.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, but Brits aren’t the only tourists who stay in these hotels, I expect that German tourists and maybe other nationalities will also care whether their hotel is operating correctly and is safe and properly licensed. But if they are traveling on an AI deal perhaps they assume their tour company has checked?

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jimgward wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:39 pm WHL, I think there's a VAST difference between a private home getting some kind of illegal amendment, and a public service building that 'could' endanger many lives....

I had to take insurance on my property n Cyprus, through Intasure, as no Cypriot insurance company would cover me for 3rd-party liability more than 100,000 euros at the time. I wonder if hotels in Cyprus have appropriate insurance either?
Can you please tell me how moaning on a forum , will change anything to do with Hotel Licences, will the majority of us check to see if a particular Hotel has all the up to date, licences before we go for a dip in their pool,, a drink in their bar, or stay a night, at a guess I doubt anyone of us will, but hey ho another day another moan, if any of you intend to research if a hotel has all the licences before visiting it then I apologise to you.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

WHL, why are You being so negative about every single post I make? It does make a difference as more notice of the infractions come to more peoples’ attention - the word spreads, posts appear on social media, MPs get involved and so on it goes....
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

WHL wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:51 pm
Jimgward wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:39 pm WHL, I think there's a VAST difference between a private home getting some kind of illegal amendment, and a public service building that 'could' endanger many lives....

Can you please tell me how moaning on a forum , will change anything to do with Hotel Licences, will the majority of us check to see if a particular Hotel has all the up to date, licences before we go for a dip in their pool,, a drink in their bar, or stay a night, at a guess I doubt anyone of us will, but hey ho another day another moan, if any of you intend to research if a hotel has all the licences before visiting it then I apologise to you.
WHL whatever we write or moaning as you call it on a forum will end up on other social media at some time. That is the world we live in & as a tourist I could give some good examples of where moaning has resulted in a positive result although I would prefer to call it constructive criticism
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jimgward wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:39 pm WHL, why are You being so negative about every single post I make? It does make a difference as more notice of the infractions come to more peoples’ attention - the word spreads, posts appear on social media, MPs get involved and so on it goes....
Nothing personal, thats just how the posts are, tomorrow I might be liking your posts, its just what comes of living here for thirty odd years, Ive got a feeling we will be discussing, the same thing in many years to come.
WHL

Post by WHL »

jagwheels wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:33 pm
WHL wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:51 pm

WHL whatever we write or moaning as you call it on a forum will end up on other social media at some time. That is the world we live in & as a tourist I could give some good examples of where moaning has resulted in a positive result although I would prefer to call it constructive criticism
Apologies moaning wasnt the correct word I should of used another word
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

It really doesn't surprise me at all....

Here's a little link for you to peruse..... it provides a .pdf file for each of the hotels / tourist establishments by location.
If you see the letter "L" by the side of the name, the property is licenced - if it has a letter "P" the licence is still Pending.
Better watch your Ps and Ls ;-)
https://www.visitcyprus.com/index.php/e ... -pdf-lists
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, thanks for the link, most interesting to see how few hotels are properly licensed as they all should be. What were the CTO when they existed, thinking about?

What they should do is to pass a law stating that each and every hotel should display its operating license on the wall in reception in full view of those new arrivals registering to stay there. Thus helping to motivate hotel owners to make sure that their hotel is up to scratch,
Dee
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Wholeheartedly agree with you there, Dee!
"Have Camera, Will Travel"