Confused dot com

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgward

Re: Confused dot com

Post by Jimgward »

Ian Duncan Smith (IDS) Spoke yesterday, about how YellowHammer was all innacurate and how the port of Calais had built a holding are 40 miles from Calais, so not flow interruption would occur. IDS claimed that meant no lorries would be held up, so medicines and goods would have smooth entry.

He didn’t have the brains to realise that this would only affect goods going into Europe and not goods coming into the UK, where congestion would be had at Dover and Calais. He is either stupid or a liar. I know for a fact, that goods will not flow under no-deal, as they do know. It’s impossible for that to be the case.
K Turvey

Post by K Turvey »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:26 am In any business which imports and exports, a No Deal will have a BIG impact, particularly if that business is located in the UK.

One of our significant manufacturers is located in the UK and we anticipate their prices to us rising by at least 10% in the event of a no-deal: 6% Import Duty in Cyprus + costs associated with import and Customs clearance. A speedy 3-4 days transit without paperwork now will turn into something much more troublesome. To that end we are now actively sourcing elsewhere. I have asked our manufacturer what their intentions are in the event of a No Deal...but did not receive a reply. As they are a colossal exporter to Europe, a No Deal will have a very significant impact on them.
So Brexit its the end of the road for Lidl and Aldi in the UK, although I can't remember see anything as such on their TV adverts

The only place that still asks for paperwork is good old Cyprus, everywhere else the modern world does everything electronically, so in reality that is a myth that Brexit will prolong importation due to paperwork

The bottom line is those of us who live outside the UK and do not pay any to the HMRC will not be directly impacted by Brexit.
K Turvey

Post by K Turvey »

Jim B wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:49 am Maggie
Our daughter recently started work as a research scientist at Oxford University joining a team looking into cures for Alzheimer's. She was on the phone the other night to her Mum bemoaning the fact that Brexit is affecting their team and they may be shut down.
It's just a little insight into how Brexit is affecting lives.
If the UK leaves on the 31st October that's not the end of it, it's the start of years of austerity. I lived through that in the fifties and sixties and cannot comprehend why people would want to go back to the way many of us had to live then.
Can anyone who supports Brexit, hand on heart tell me how they were personally detrimentally affected by the UK being a member of the EU, there's nothing tangible I can think of. My life at work was improved, the area where I lived received investment that we would never have received if left to the UK government.
The only person who can answer your question is yourself.

Jim
Has your daughter been told her department is closing officially due to Brexit
Personally the 70's were far worse with power cuts, Unions and Glam Rock
Its not so long ago this country "Cyprus" was on its knees, but recovered.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

K Turvey wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:29 am
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:26 am In any business which imports and exports, a No Deal will have a BIG impact, particularly if that business is located in the UK.

One of our significant manufacturers is located in the UK and we anticipate their prices to us rising by at least 10% in the event of a no-deal: 6% Import Duty in Cyprus + costs associated with import and Customs clearance. A speedy 3-4 days transit without paperwork now will turn into something much more troublesome. To that end we are now actively sourcing elsewhere. I have asked our manufacturer what their intentions are in the event of a No Deal...but did not receive a reply. As they are a colossal exporter to Europe, a No Deal will have a very significant impact on them.
So Brexit its the end of the road for Lidl and Aldi in the UK, although I can't remember see anything as such on their TV adverts

The only place that still asks for paperwork is good old Cyprus, everywhere else the modern world does everything electronically, so in reality that is a myth that Brexit will prolong importation due to paperwork

The bottom line is those of us who live outside the UK and do not pay any to the HMRC will not be directly impacted by Brexit.
You seem to ignore the fact that the UK would have NO trading agreement with the EU so EVERY shipment would need additional paperwork for WTO rules and payment of tariffs on all goods to conform. These tariffs vary from 10% to 50% as far as I can see.... so do you think customs can wave everyone through, as they do now?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

K Turvey wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:48 am
Jim B wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:49 am Maggie
Our daughter recently started work as a research scientist at Oxford University joining a team looking into cures for Alzheimer's. She was on the phone the other night to her Mum bemoaning the fact that Brexit is affecting their team and they may be shut down.
It's just a little insight into how Brexit is affecting lives.
If the UK leaves on the 31st October that's not the end of it, it's the start of years of austerity. I lived through that in the fifties and sixties and cannot comprehend why people would want to go back to the way many of us had to live then.
Can anyone who supports Brexit, hand on heart tell me how they were personally detrimentally affected by the UK being a member of the EU, there's nothing tangible I can think of. My life at work was improved, the area where I lived received investment that we would never have received if left to the UK government.
The only person who can answer your question is yourself.

Jim
Has your daughter been told her department is closing officially due to Brexit
Personally the 70's were far worse with power cuts, Unions and Glam Rock
Its not so long ago this country "Cyprus" was on its knees, but recovered.
Yes. Simple answer. Just Google Job Losses due to Brexit and see what pops up; nearly half a million and we haven't left yet.

I don't know where you get the idea about paperless customs clearance and to suggest those of us who live outside the UK won't be directly affected; are you serious? Ask all those people running round trying to get MU3 documents If they're affected. Or the pound losing over 12% of its value, has that not had an affect?

Jim
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

I think it’s like this Maggie:

Remain Voters = we’re all doomed
Brexit Voters = don’t worry, about a thing, every little thing gonna be alright.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Remain voters = Meerkats
Leave Voters = Lemmings
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Looking at all this another way.

If you go to your doctor because something is wrong with you, and you then have a prescription for medication, it will have a listing of possible side effects. In the main some will not affect you at all, some lesser ones might, some may make you ill, or rarely even very ill. Do you then take the medication or not ?

As with Brexit, the voters were given a choice of put up with it, i.e. remain, or do something about it, vote leave. We did vote leave, now do we look at the side effects with horror, because taking the medication, i.e. actually leaving the EU MIGHT make us very ill, ( albeit a rare side effect ) or do we take it in the belief that at the end of the day, it will make us better with very little problem at all ? Because if you do not take the medication, your condition will get worse.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Firefly wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:36 pm As with Brexit, the voters were given a choice of put up with it,..........
Jackie
Please would you clarify what you "put up with", did it keep you awake at night; was it sovereignty, immigration, the European Court?

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Nothing kept me awake at night, I never implied that anything did.

I, and millions of others, are sick of EU rules and regulations that we, in the UK must live by, rather than our own laws, made by our government. Sovereignty, immigration, the European Court, all included.

Millions paid into the EU when it should fund our failing NHS amongst other things. it's our money, tax payers money, it should be spent here.

We are slaughtering badgers, I know, a minor thing to most, (even though most TB is spread from cattle to cattle) BUT, I understand from my M.P. that the EU will not allow vaccination of cattle against TB. How many more minor 'regulations' are there that the average person knows nothing about.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

More rubbish re EU regulations - most of which we contributed to;

Re TB in ~cattle, read this - https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -bovine-tb

It confirms we are developing inoculations for cattle..... they are NOT banned by the EU.... just like bendy bananas and the other lies propagated.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jimgw

I had to laugh, the article you refer to states.

"Use of cattle vaccination will also require acceptance by the EU. While those negotiations are outside the scope of evidence, further research and development will be required to support the case for acceptance of this control measure e.g. data from its use under UK field conditions."
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:14 pm BUT, I understand from my M.P. that the EU will not allow vaccination of cattle against TB.
Simply because a) the vaccination has not proved effective in all cases and b) a cow with the disease prior to the vaccination can transmit it to other beasts for weeks before it can be detected. Horrible, yes, but slaughter of a herd is the most effective control and this is not forbidden by the EU.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jackie
The white paper also statès the vaccine isn't 100% effective that's the reasoning behind the reluctance of both the UK and the EU to use it, not bloody mindedness.
Which EU Laws adversely affect your living standards; I can list several off the top of my head that actually improved both my personal and working life.
Yes we do pay money into the UK but we get a lot of it back to spend on projects that benefit areas all across the country and not just the South East. Yes, some of that money could go to the NHS and so could all the tax avoidance money that's being moved offshore every year by the Mega Rich, the EU was introducing legislation to stop it; one of those laws that you don't like.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

LB

Some politicians share your view :lol:

Jim B

Not being 100% effective is no reason not to use it, we use it on people. Which vaccines are 100 % effective ?

Devil,

yes I agree that tests for TB in cattle are only appox. 50% reliable, maybe time to improve those.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Firefly wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:24 pm LB

Some politicians share your view :lol:

Jim B

Not being 100% effective is no reason not to use it, we use it on people. Which vaccines are 100 % effective ?

Devil,

yes I agree that tests for TB in cattle are only appox. 50% reliable, maybe time to improve those.
Jackie
I think Devil explained the reason why quite clearly don't you think?

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim

Yes he has, and so did I, some cattle which having been TB tested, and found to be clear, then go on to develop TB. Too late when they have been purchased by another farmer.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Firefly wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:27 am Jim

Yes he has, and so did I, some cattle which having been TB tested, and found to be clear, then go on to develop TB. Too late when they have been purchased by another farmer.
Jackie

If as Devil stated there's no guarantee the vaccine will work it's a bit pointless relying on it don't you think? There's no guarantee that a vaccinated cow won't go on to develop TB after being purchased by another Farmer.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim

Ok, if I accept all the above, does it not follow that killing badgers will not stop TB in cattle. It is a ploy by the Government to placate the farmer.

So we have to accept that we will never eradicate TB in cattle, so why spend money trying to do it ?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jackie

I have no idea.
A quick read up on it suggests there's no scientific evidence that badger culling works and any benefits are minimal.
Possibly just a case that Defra are seen to be doing something.

Jim