Cyprus has fifth most expensive bread, cereals in EU28 (table)

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Cyprus has fifth most expensive bread, cereals in EU28 (table)

Post by memory man »

Cyprus had the fifth most expensive bread and cereals in the European Union in 2018 according to figures published by Eurostat on Friday.

These showed that last year the price of bread and cereals across the EU was more than three times as high in the most expensive Member State than in the cheapest one.

When price levels in countries are compared with the EU average price level index of 100, the results show that in 2018, the price of bread and cereals was highest in Denmark (with a price level index of 152), followed by Austria (135), Luxembourg and Finland (both 127).

Cyprus and Sweden were the fifth most expensive (both 123).

In contrast, the price levels for bread and cereals in 2018 were lowest in Romania (with a price level index of 54), followed by Bulgaria (62) and Poland (68).

https://in-cyprus.com/cyprus-has-fifth- ... u28-table/
WHL

Re: Cyprus has fifth most expensive bread, cereals in EU28 (table)

Post by WHL »

Swings and roundabouts, meat/ fresh veg, is cheap.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Is it a surprise? Here, you have wheat grown in fields no bigger than a pocket handkerchief, so small a combine harvester would be bigger! Within 5 km of here, I've seen 7 patches of wheat ranging, by eye, from estimated 100 m² to 300 m². Where is the economy of scale in that?
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

I have always found bakery products priced well in places like Alpha and years ago the bakery in Orphanides was so cheap
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I have noticed that many types of breakfast cereals are considerably more expensive here than in the UK. There seem to be all sorts of excuses for this.Ranging from Cyprus is a small market, shipping is expensive etc. However many food items are bought and distributed by a single wholesaler, who presumably can set the local wholesale prices. Then it is up to the individual store or supermarket or kiosk to set their own retain price.. or maybe that is controlled by another body?
Also the prices of health and vitamin products in Pharmacies here are often up to 2 to 3 times what they are sold for in the UK, say. I don’t buy these in Cyprus, getting things I need either by on line ordering or on a visit to the UK.
Dee
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I'm quite happy to pay for my Weetabix, about 10 c per piece.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:44 pm
Kili01 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:15 pmThere seem to be all sorts of excuses for this.Ranging from Cyprus is a small market, shipping is expensive etc.
Aren't those valid reasons though? Mass market = cheap prices, limited market = higher prices?

Do you know how much it costs to bring a container from the UK to Cyprus? It runs into thousands. Do you know how many packs of bulky boxes of full-of-air cereals you get in a container? Not a lot, compared with other retail commodities.
You hit the nail on the head
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Malta too is small, but their price for bread & cereals is lower! Surely what goes for Malta, should go for Cyprus!?
WHL

Post by WHL »

I can get a large sliced loaf of white bread for one euro, hardly expensive, or six large pitta breads for 99c, no rip off there, if you want the Uk frozen bread then dont moan if they charge two or three euro, or what ever they charge
WHL

Post by WHL »

This is a good read, and personally why I give the cereal rubbish a wide berth.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... y-lawrence

WHL

Post by WHL »

Austin7 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:50 am
WHL wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:08 am This is a good read, and personally why I give the cereal rubbish a wide berth.
Interesting? Maybe, but I got bored less than half way through it! :lol:
Watch the Video, Dr Kellogg's made his cornflakes to try and stop people masturbating, man did he get that wrong, :shock: :lol:
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

If you paid for foodstuff by taste, bread in the UK supermarkets should be 5p a loaf. Fruit and Veg should be free and Pork 50p a Kg.....
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Jimgward wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:02 am If you paid for foodstuff by taste, bread in the UK supermarkets should be 5p a loaf. Fruit and Veg should be free and Pork 50p a Kg.....
ha ha ! :lol:
Louise :)
Lucky Lady

Post by Lucky Lady »

Pay cheap, get rubbish - we pay 1.80 euros for excellent whole grain bread - worth every cent. Why would I want bland, white, awful stuff for 30p from Tesco. 😀
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

WHL wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:53 am
Austin7 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:50 am
WHL wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:08 am This is a good read, and personally why I give the cereal rubbish a wide berth.
Interesting? Maybe, but I got bored less than half way through it! :lol:
Watch the Video, Dr Kellogg's made his cornflakes to try and stop people masturbating, man did he get that wrong, :shock: :lol:
So basically you are saying you are a corn flake munching w@nker :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
WHL

Post by WHL »

No mate I dont eat cornflakes, but please carry on enjoying your.....Snap, Crackle and Pop, ;)
jeba

Post by jeba »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:44 pm Do you know how much it costs to bring a container from the UK to Cyprus? It runs into thousands.
This can only be a minor part of the reason. A prime example that comes to my mind is the price of Lidl for identical products they´re selling here and in Germany as well. E. g. their home brand artificial sweetener is € 1.99 in Cyprus but 0.99 in Germany. And there are many examples like that. These differences cannot be explained by shipping costs. My guess is lack of competition is the main reason. They simply can get away with it.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Another factor no one has mentioned is, in the UK as well as other countries, bread and milk are used as lost leaders to bring in the customers.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I Think the supermarkets in the UK, particularly Tescos, have ravaged the retail economy and perpetrated a drive for cheap at the cost of quality and taste. Fat, round tomatoes that taste of nothing. Bread that’s bland and last for a week, soft and springy, but tastes awful and is bad for you.

An example of their effect is Inverness. Pre Tescos, there were something like a dozen independent butcher shops in Inverness. Now there is one left. Tesco bought out two competitive stores and built more. There are now 4 Tescos, 1 huge store, 2 Large and 1 metro. In a “City’ of less than 50,000 people. There was even talk of it becoming a Tesco Town, with houses owned by Tescos and more.....
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Jimgward wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:38 pm Fat, round tomatoes that taste of nothing.
That reminds me of M&S being taken to task a few years ago for labelling some of their tomatoes as "grown for flavour" :roll: