Some Cyprus flights cancelled as BA pilots begin 48-hour strike

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Some Cyprus flights cancelled as BA pilots begin 48-hour strike

Post by Paphos Life »

Three daily scheduled flights from Heathrow to Larnaca and Larnaca to Heathrow on Monday and Tuesday and one from Gatwick to Paphos and back on Monday have been cancelled due to a two-day strike by British Airways pilots. "The flights are cancelled, unless the situation changes" a spokesperson of the airline confirmed on Monday morning....

Read the article and chat about it below...
emgee

Re: Some Cyprus flights cancelled as BA pilots begin 48-hour strike

Post by emgee »

Terrible people.

Alan
harveywinning

Post by harveywinning »

BA pilots, according to UK papers earn £167,000 per year plus allowances plus free accommodation plus they receive free or heavily discounted (90% discount) fares for themselves and family.

I know they have responsible jobs with lots of training involved but so do many other trades/professions - and these people receive nothing like the pay of BA pilots.

Something wrong somewhere but am I missing something?
WHL

Post by WHL »

harveywinning wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:52 pm BA pilots, according to UK papers earn £167,000 per year plus allowances plus free accommodation plus they receive free or heavily discounted (90% discount) fares for themselves and family.

I know they have responsible jobs with lots of training involved but so do many other trades/professions - and these people receive nothing like the pay of BA pilots.

Dont believe everything you read in UK papers.
memory man

Post by memory man »

Commercial Pilot: Salary Guide 2017

https://blog.aviationjobsearch.com/comm ... ary-guide/
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

No ''lessons have been learned'' since at least 2010 when my holiday part using BA flights was messed up due to the threat of a BA strike which was eventually called off the day before the actual flight. Had to cut short one leg of the journey to accommodate this threat in order to be in the right place at the right time for the onward connection at extra cost for rearranging BA flight (which I found ironic as it was BA that forced me to change it).
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Pilots salaries are dependent on their qualifications, experience and ability, and time on the job. The figure quoted is likely to be for a senior Captains salary, new first officers earn substantially less. Even so, as others have said BA pilots salaries are Known to be very generous compared to many independent airlines, and they have excellent perks! I don’t feel very sympathetic to their cause, but their union is a very strong one. So these negotiations will be done by them.
Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

I think the BA pilots are entitled to strike for more money, they all took a pay cut, when BA were in financial trouble, now they have made very good profits, its not unfair that the Pilots, want their wages back to former levels.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

I have always been against strikes and striking but in this case I think it’s justified considering all of the talks to reinstate the salaries to the original levels have failed.
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

Greed
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

WHL wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:05 pm
harveywinning wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:52 pm BA pilots, according to UK papers earn £167,000 per year plus allowances plus free accommodation plus they receive free or heavily discounted (90% discount) fares for themselves and family.

Dont believe everything you read in UK papers.
That's right WHL,the Guardians reporting will favour the pilots striking and the Mail will not be in favour of it. :?