So...will the Remainers predictions come true?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgym

Re: So...will the Remainers predictions come true?

Post by Jimgym »

Wouldn’t let me read it without subscribing Jim.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:05 pm Wouldn’t let me read it without subscribing Jim.
That's strange Alan, I don't subscribe.

Basically it was saying that since the boycott of the Sun on Merseyside after Hillsborough the view on the EU changed from being negative to positive which gave 58% in favour of remaining against 42% who voted to Leave. The researchers suggested that most Sun readers switched to the Daily Mirror which supports Remain and also put forward the theory that if the same boycott of the Sun had happened in London most readers would have switched to the Daily Mail and quite possibly London would have voted Leave.
The research showed that people are influenced by the media rather than making objective decisions themselves.
I will try and fine the article and copy and paste.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Interesting reading Jim. I for one am grateful that the people of Merseyside still boycott that turd of a newspaper after the disgusting lies they printed. Sorry slightly off topic there. If you could copy and paste that would be great. Thanks.
jeba

Post by jeba »

The following is the deepl.com translation of an article from a German news-website (https://www.n-tv.de/wirtschaft/Englands ... 25001.html) I came across today. Seems as far as the automotive industry is concerned quite a few predictions have come true already.
James Bond pushes the gas pedal of an Aston Martin again in 2020. But the British car industry could already be history. More and more manufacturers are laying off employees and closing factories. How did this happen?

Since last year, car production in England has been in reverse. In the first half of 2019, a new low was reached with 666,000 cars, a decline of one fifth compared to the same period last year. Only about two months before the Brexit, the situation for the industry continues to deteriorate.

No wonder. Since the vote in June 2016, the investments of automobile manufacturers and their suppliers have fallen by 80 percent. Honda closes its only plant in Swindon and turns its back on the island forever until 2021; 3500 jobs are lost, thousands more at suppliers and service companies. Nissan, the largest car manufacturer in England with 7,000 direct employees and a major employer in the weak Sunderland region, begins to relocate parts of its production to Japan. In 1984 Nissan - like the other Japanese manufacturers - moved to the island because Britain was seen as a stepping stone into the EU single market. But a good 30 years later, Sunderland, the impoverished industrial city in the north-east of England, had voted for Brexit with 61 percent.

Toyota, the third major Japanese carmaker on the island, has announced that it will "review its location" in Burnaston by early 2020. These three Japanese manufacturers alone account for half of the total English automobile production. The situation is made more difficult by the fact that all Japanese supplier companies are on the verge of a leap.
Savings programs at all locations
Frank Mahlmeister Investment Check.JPG
Investment check 21.08.19
Investment check How Brexit is burdening the financial markets

But the rest of the industry is also on the lookout. Mini, BMW's automobile subsidiary and the third-largest manufacturer on the island, is planning closures and relocation of production to South Africa. Jaguar Land Rover, which was rescued from bankruptcy in 2008 by Indian steel magnate Ratan Tata and has since risen to become the new star of the British car industry under German management, has announced a massive austerity program and the elimination of 4500 of the 9100 jobs.

At the same time, Jaguar has massively built up capacity in the EU country Slovenia. Ford is shutting down parts of its engine production and wants to "rethink" its future in the UK as well. PSA boss Carlos Tavares has threatened the withdrawal of Opel Astra production from the Vauxhall plant in Ellesmere Port and its relocation to Southern Europe in the event of a hard Brexit; this would be the end for the location - and for many suppliers all around. Major suppliers such as ZF, Schäffler and Michelin are already closing, others will follow.

The end of the British automotive industry, more precisely: the automotive industry in Great Britain, is approaching with great strides. A "hard" Brexit without a free trade agreement with the EU is destroying the automotive location Great Britain. It becomes unprofitable, because the car industry is heavily dependent on exports. Every year, around 80 percent of cars are exported, more than 60 percent of them to Europe. Conversely, 80 percent of all supplier parts are imported from Europe, some of which cross the channel up to five times in finishing traffic. The introduction of WTO customs tariffs of ten percent would deprive Great Britain of its basis for profitability: Export cars would become about 3000 euros more expensive, and supplier parts would have to be imported at higher costs.

Everything used to be different. The most beautiful and valuable cars in Great Britain were built for auto-aesthetes over decades. Rolls Royce, Bentley, Triumph, Jaguar, Land Rover, Aston Marin, MG - all icons of automotive history. A Jaguar XK 150 already has more than 250 HP and disc brakes in 1958. And the Aston Martin DB5 (1963-1965) became the company car of James Bond, with which he saved the world in the service of Her Majesty with 300 HP and four litres cubic capacity (1964 "Goldfinger"; 1965 "Feuerball").

This era of mostly eccentric automotive engineering came to an end with EU accession in 1973 at the latest. More and more imported cars with better quality and technology pushed their way to the island in the mass segment, and the import quota rose from 7 to 33 percent. In German motorist circles, in connection with the British Leyland car group, people only spoke of "British misery" or of the need to buy a Jaguar only in a package of two: a car for the road, one as a spare parts store or as a workshop car.

British automakers, children of the Empire, have never learned to seek customers on the world market, at best to serve them mercifully. What remained were small exclusive sports car manufacturers - and the eccentric itself
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I saw this one yesterday, 98 Companies have moved to the Netherlands with another 325 Companies in talks on relocating.

Jim

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2019/08/b ... therlands/
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Keep trying you lot- I think you’re wasting your time. If you think you’re going to pull off some Ben Stokes “victory from the jaws of defeat”, and somehow reverse the will of the majority, you’re going to be disappointed!
I’ve just bought more shares in Kleenex.
Jon.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Of course not. It never is. They just trot out the tired "democracy" argument, yet are dead opposed to an actual vote on a no-deal Brexit.

Presumably because they fear the will of the people...
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
jeba

Post by jeba »

kingfisher wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:14 am Keep trying you lot- I think you’re wasting your time. If you think you’re going to pull off some Ben Stokes “victory from the jaws of defeat”, and somehow reverse the will of the majority, you’re going to be disappointed!
How do you know it was the will of the majority to leave the common market and the customs union? Was that asked in the referendum?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

kingfisher wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:14 am Keep trying you lot- I think you’re wasting your time. If you think you’re going to pull off some Ben Stokes “victory from the jaws of defeat”, and somehow reverse the will of the majority, you’re going to be disappointed!
I’ve just bought more shares in Kleenex.
Jon.
Jon
As I said many moons ago; it's not over till the fat lady sings. And it's not over yet, Blojo will bottle it.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Dominic wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:45 am Of course not. It never is. They just trot out the tired "democracy" argument, yet are dead opposed to an actual vote on a no-deal Brexit.

Presumably because they fear the will of the people...
Does democracy ever become tired? Only when you're on the losing side of a vote it seems. Remainers fear the will of the people hence their repeated attempts to block Brexit. I often marvel at the irony of Remain voters citing democracy whilst trying to block it.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

jeba wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:58 am
How do you know it was the will of the majority to leave the common market and the customs union? Was that asked in the referendum?
The will of the majority who voted was to leave the EU. They answered the question asked.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I just cannot get my head round why people are prepared to gamble on the ruination of our country and the death of our citizens just to prove a point.

Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Because the ones who are have the least to lose
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:39 am Because the ones who are have the least to lose
Your proof of that is what exactly?
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim B wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:21 am I just cannot get my head round why people are prepared to gamble on the ruination of our country and the death of our citizens just to prove a point.

Jim
Jim, I understand what you area saying, however those who did vote leave are probably wondering the same about remain voters. Obviously different context but same sentiment.

On another note, did you among to get the article that I couldn't read due to not being a subscriber? I would be interested to read it. Thanks in advance!
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Hi Alan
I'm waiting for the article to reappear as they usually do. I have scrolled through but as you're aware there's so many posts it's difficult to find what you're looking for.
In your response to my question; By remaining the opportunities that are available will still be available as would the jobs that we are presently losing to other EU countries. There's every possibility that the drug shortages that are already being experienced according to the media, wouldn't be happening, the fall of the pound is one that is affecting all of us.
Leavers are gambling with the wellbeing of the country and people's lives that everything will turn out fine in the end, Remainers aren't.
The question is how far Leavers are prepared to let the country sink and for how long are you prepared to wait. What's the acceptable number of deaths of people reliant on life saving drugs, this is the gamble Leavers are taking.
Brexit is all about saving the Tory Party, not about saving the country and always has been.

Jim
jeba

Post by jeba »

Jimgym wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:19 am The will of the majority who voted was to leave the EU. They answered the question asked.
Which means they never voted to leave the common market / customs union.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

jeba wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:36 pm
Jimgym wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:19 am The will of the majority who voted was to leave the EU. They answered the question asked.
Which means they never voted to leave the common market / customs union.
Not exactly, they voted on the question that was presented to them. The voters did not offer an opinion, nor cast a vote on any other question but there was enough publicity to advise people what they were voting for.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jimgym wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:25 pm
Jimgward wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:39 am Because the ones who are have the least to lose
Your proof of that is what exactly?
The vast majority who were retired, voted leave
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The majority of over 65s voted to leave; fact.
Least to lose= over 65s
Job opportunities, education opportunities, most retirees are not interested in them wereas the young are.
Workers protection like limited working hours, safety in the work place; retirees, least to lose. Blojo has stated all the laws that protect the working people will not be written into UK law; retirees, least to lose.
Jim Ward was spot on.