So...will the Remainers predictions come true?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgward

Re: So...will the Remainers predictions come true?

Post by Jimgward »

Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

And? Many of us did and to realise that there will be problems. Still it gives Remainers something to do, posting these articles.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Latest polls say that 70% of people are against a hard-Brexit - democracy anyone?

Also, HAD the referendum been legal, rather than advisory, it would have been declared void due to illegalities. Since it was only advisory, the courts couldn't Take those steps. May treated it as legal, as does Boris.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:20 pm And? Many of us did and to realise that there will be problems. Still it gives Remainers something to do, posting these articles.
Master of the understatement heh!! Alan?

I read two really good quotes the other day about democracy
"When politicians lie, democracy dies"
And
"Democracy is about more than just a vote".

It appears Leavers are quite happy to see our country and people irrevocably damaged just to get their own way; sad.
Please don't suggest project fear, it's already happening.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim B wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:59 pm
Jimgym wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:20 pm And? Many of us did and to realise that there will be problems. Still it gives Remainers something to do, posting these articles.

And

It appears Leavers are quite happy to see our country and people irrevocably damaged just to get their own way; sad.

Jim
I'm a master of many things Jim, but unlike many on here I am no good at constantly whingeing about how bad they see things. Remainers are only happy when they see something negative to post, hence I rarely respond. Lloyd, the master of acting like an old woman seems to have absolutely nothing better to do. I guess he deserves my pity. It appears retainers have absolutely no interest in democracy, and are in fact appalled and horrified by it. Such a shame......
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:57 pm Latest polls say that 70% of people are against a hard-Brexit - democracy anyone?

Also, HAD the referendum been legal, rather than advisory, it would have been declared void due to illegalities. Since it was only advisory, the courts couldn't Take those steps. May treated it as legal, as does Boris.
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar ... and-no-cor
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Les Bean wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:09 pm
Jimgym wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:06 pm
Jim B wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:59 pm

And

Jim
I'm a master of many things Jim, but unlike many on here I am no good at constantly whingeing about how bad they see things. Remainers are only happy when they see something negative to post, hence I rarely respond. Lloyd, the master of acting like an old woman seems to have absolutely nothing better to do. I guess he deserves my pity. It appears retainers have absolutely no interest in democracy, and are in fact appalled and horrified by it. Such a shame......
RepeatIMG_20190816_085536.jpg
Oh please! Can you actually come up with a coherent argument rather than merely copying and pasting soundbites?
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jimgym wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:12 pm
Jimgward wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:57 pm Latest polls say that 70% of people are against a hard-Brexit - democracy anyone?

That's the winner of the most-stupid polls contest! Corbyn isn't even in the discussion by people. Most labour voters don't want him, so bringing him into an argument on leave, is simply subterfuge to paper over cracks.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

You're using option polls to bolster your stance now. Well here's a fact for you. Opinion polls predicted a Remain victory and we all know how that went!
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Les Bean wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:55 pm
Jimgym wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:13 pm
Les Bean wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:09 pm

RepeatIMG_20190816_085536.jpg
Oh please! Can you actually come up with a coherent argument rather than merely copying and pasting soundbites?
Quotation of soundbites is not intended as any sort of argument, just indicating how we cannot believe anything that is said by the government hard line Brexiteers
As opposed to Party leaders who have openly stated they won’t accept the result of another referendum UNLESS it is the one they want.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Them sticking by such an anti democratic stance really isn’t something to boast about. In fact I’d say it’s the exact opposite.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Les Bean wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:35 pm Right or wrong(and I think in this instance they are wrong btw), honest statements are to be applauded, especially in an arena where they are a rarity
Applauded? 🤣Certainly not!
panoscouse

Post by panoscouse »

Jimgward wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:44 pm
Jimgym wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:12 pm

That's the winner of the most-stupid polls contest! Corbyn isn't even in the discussion by people. Most labour voters don't want him, so bringing him into an argument on leave, is simply subterfuge to paper over cracks.
Yet the VAST majority of Labour members voted for Jeremy Corbin as leader. TWICE.
I do wish you centrists would realise the days of blairite policies are rejected by the majority of the uk population.
Either you have the right wing Johnson policies and all that entails or the left wing (your words not mine) of Jeremy Corbin.

The future is always defined by the youth and so it should be.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

What makes you think most people don't want centrist policies? There isn’t a shred of evidence...
panoscouse

Post by panoscouse »

The shred of evidence is the amount of members enlisted to the Labour party since Jeremy Corbyn (with the help of said members) became leader. Ignore it at your peril. Or joint the Lib Dems like your predecessors.
Back your Democratic leader or leave.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Les Bean wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:18 am
Jimgym wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:02 pm
Les Bean wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:35 pm Right or wrong(and I think in this instance they are wrong btw), honest statements are to be applauded, especially in an arena where they are a rarity
Applauded? 🤣Certainly not!
Honest statements not to be applauded 😞. Are dishonest ones to be then???
That is entirely your choice, as is applauding those who wish to ignore democracy.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Les Bean wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:55 am Not at all. I am saying that honest statements as opposed to lies should be applauded, not commenting on the content of those statements. You seem to think the opposite.
Part of your sentence is correct, I do think yes.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

panoscouse wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:15 pm The shred of evidence is the amount of members enlisted to the Labour party since Jeremy Corbyn (with the help of said members) became leader. Ignore it at your peril. Or joint the Lib Dems like your predecessors.
Back your Democratic leader or leave.
Labour has what, 485,000 members - the Conservatives 180,000, SNP 125,000, Lib Dems 115,000

Am I to assume, that SNP policies are favoured by more people in the UK, than Lib-Dem policies, because they have more members? Nonsense
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I found the below article relating to the influence the media had on the referendum result that was written in the Financial Times an interesting read.

Jim

https://www.ft.com/content/ffdb6e8c-c5c ... 6ca66511c9
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I couldn't read it.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.