New pub peyia

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Varky

Re: New pub peyia

Post by Varky »

LouiseCastricum wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:19 am I learned that the 30,000 Cypriots served in the British Army in WW2, because they were promised independence.
Cyprus was offered independence by Britain in 1916 if they would support the war against Germany, Turkey etc., but the Greek Cypriots were not interested.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

There are other charities on the island that also help people who were in the forces and many smaller groups and individuals offer their support. Large organisations don't suit everyone. Such a shame that it is necessary for veterans to have to depend on charity.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

My son in law in the states is a US army veteran.When I am over there and go to stores with him,when we get to the till he shows his veterens card and more often than not gets between 5 and 15% discount.It brings tears to my eyes when the checkout girl usually says " thank from all at this store for serving our country"...…..And in the UK?????.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jimgward wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:10 am Queen and ~Country - my goodness, there are a growing huge number who see the Royalty as there are, parasites who feed on the money of others. Harry, who I though might have been down-to-earth, takes 4 private’s jet flights in 2 weeks, 2 to lecture us all about global warming. These people dont need our loyalty and support, they need our condemnation, Including faux loyalty like the other ‘celebrities’ who attended Harry’s bare-footed speech.
I had time for the Queen, Anne, Charlie and his boys before, but that’s disappeared. Parasite is the best work for them.
Great post, spot on, in every respect.
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Chaddy wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:38 pm My son in law in the states is a US army veteran.When I am over there and go to stores with him,when we get to the till he shows his veterens card and more often than not gets between 5 and 15% discount.It brings tears to my eyes when the checkout girl usually says " thank from all at this store for serving our country"...…..And in the UK?????.
???

So if your s-i-l went to a foreign country would you expect him to be given a discount there?
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Austin7 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:38 pm
DavidatLWH wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:10 pm
Chaddy wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:38 pm My son in law in the states is a US army veteran.When I am over there and go to stores with him,when we get to the till he shows his veterens card and more often than not gets between 5 and 15% discount.It brings tears to my eyes when the checkout girl usually says " thank from all at this store for serving our country"...…..And in the UK?????.
???

So if your s-i-l went to a foreign country would you expect him to be given a discount there?
I think you are totally missing Chaddy's point. All he is saying is that in the USA their veterans are respected and treated accordingly whereas in the UK the opposite is often seen to be the case!
Agreed. That’s how I read it also.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I will never agree with those who decry the Queen and the Royal family. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions of course. But who would prefer a president like Boris or Trump or Corbyn for that matter? The Queen and her successors are A-political, which doesn’t stop her advising PM’s when asked to do so. Apparently, her council is very wise and is respected. Despite her age, she has given the country stability over the years and has seem Govt’s and PM’s come and go. Furthermore, other countries until recently(!) looked at the British system of Govt as a model. Imagine what the country would be like in this current political upheaval without our Queen.
Despite what some people think some of the Royals are busy carrying out all sorts of public ebgagements. They have an ingrained sense of public duty. These days a number of the Queens engagements are carried out by other members of the Royal Family, like Prince Charles and Prince William. Other members of the Royal family work for a living,
The same sort of people knock the Royal Family as well as those ordinary citizens who support the various service welfare clubs and Associations. Why do these charities need public support? Because the Govt is unwilling to provide the financial support which some people need.
Its well known that of the richer world countries the British pension is like the poor relation in comparison with other EU countries like Germany, France, Scandinavian countries and much poorer than the support retired American service personnel and retirees generally get.
Dee
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Austin7 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:38 pm
DavidatLWH wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:10 pm
???

I think you are totally missing Chaddy's point. All he is saying is that in the USA their veterans are respected and treated accordingly whereas in the UK the opposite is often seen to be the case!
No I'm not - far from it. This posting is about UK veterans in a foreign country, which was once a colony. US veterans in the US is irrelevant.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Dee, my better half is a royalist, so we often have to disagree not push each other too hard... I am not 100% anti, but when I see the sort of treatment of us all, that Harry expects us to put up with.... most laughing at the peasants as he flys around the world, telling us to only take one flight a year and stop taking selfies!

I respect the Queen, Anne and the work ~Charles does, but disagree with everything he says. William ain’t bad. Most of the rest are the parasites and I’d like to know those who work....
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jamboal

Post by Jamboal »

I have all the respect in the world for British army veterans but can’t get my head round why there needs to be a British legion pub in Cyprus, the Pegia area is being slowly strangled by English type bars, cafes and restaurants etc and has lost its Cypriot identity and I’m so glad I don’t live near it.
emgee

Post by emgee »

They are all owned and rented out by Cypriots, they don't seem to mind.

Alan
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Jamboal wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:38 pm I have all the respect in the world for British army veterans but can’t get my head round why there needs to be a British legion pub in Cyprus, the Pegia area is being slowly strangled by English type bars, cafes and restaurants etc and has lost its Cypriot identity and I’m so glad I don’t live near it.
That is why it is called "Little England" :mrgreen:
All things are possible
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

WHL wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:59 am Hypocrites R us

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rance.html
Yes,,the powers that be who introduced the rent act do not rent out houses.The powers that be who introduced employment legistlation did not employ people,the powers that be who introduced no smoking in bars and public places are non smokers etc,,etc,,etc,,,
cactus

Post by cactus »

[quote=Lincoln post_id=94839 time=1566225730 user_id=87]
[quote=Jamboal post_id=94820 time=1566218326 user_id=135]
I have all the respect in the world for British army veterans but can’t get my head round why there needs to be a British legion pub in Cyprus, the Pegia area is being slowly strangled by English type bars, cafes and restaurants etc and has lost its Cypriot identity and I’m so glad I don’t live near it.
[/quote
If by "Cypriot Identity" you mean bars that sell imported vodka that makes you go blind and present nightly ear-splittingly loud karaoke because that is "what the English like" then I feel there is an enormous gap in the market for a professionally-run bar and restaurant that caters for the needs of locals who have just about had enough of all that nonsense.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

There was originally a British Legion themed venue in Limnaria Gardens - about 4-5 years ago which proved popular at the time and was in a good location for many to use its facilities. Not just for the RBL but I remember having a lunch and there was a regular group that went there for a few hours each week and had lunch there and the place could be hired for private events.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, that was the place near Limnaria that I was referring to in one of my earlier posts. It seemed to fulfill a members need in the British Expat community. The new place is probably also rented from a Cypriot. Personally, I think that some of the comments on here about the new place are just unfortunate. If someone dislikes the place for their own reasons why go there?

Dee
tonee

Post by tonee »

The RBL does a great job raising funds for ex-servicemen and families,many with terrible injuries,lost limbs etc,cannot believe some of the comments on here,theres a charity here that also offers holidays for disabled servicemen.
Do the Cypriots get upset about this?Of course not.
How many servicemens lives were lost in NI?Should we be opposed to St Patricks Day?
Do you wear a poppy?
Sometimes I despair as how someone can look down on an organization or premises that is trying to make people lives better.All Voluntary.
Terrible!
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Funny thing is that the RBL give massive yes massive salaries to there top echelon. When I probed a little deeper I was most disappointed. So I no longer support the RBL in any way. I give freely to two other selected charities.
All things are possible