Another Remain Loser

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgym

Another Remain Loser

Post by Jimgym »

A man who crowdfunded to take Boris Johnson to court over alleged lies told regarding the NHS has lost his court case. I've posted the whole article from the Telegraph. Those poor, increasingly desperate anti democracy Remainers really are running out of options now, I'm happy to say.

Boris Johnson has won a High Court challenge against a court summons to face allegations of misconduct in a public office over claims made during the referendum campaign that the EU receives £350 million a week from the UK.

The claims were disputed during the referendum campaign and voters could choose to ignore them, the High Court heard earlier.

Giving the court's decision, Lady Justice Rafferty, sitting with Mr Justice Supperstone, said: "We are persuaded, Mr Darbishire, so you succeed, and the relief that we grant is the quashing of the summonses."

Lawyers for Boris Johnson told senior judges the MP, who is currently the front runner in the Conservative Party leadership contest, he denied acting improperly or dishonestly when campaigning to leave the EU ahead of the historic 2016 vote.

The former foreign secretary challenged a summons for him to attend Westminster Magistrates' Court, where campaigner Marcus Ball was attempting to prosecute him for three allegations of misconduct in public office.

Marcus Ball
Marcus Ball
Adrian Darbishire QC, for Mr Johnson, told a hearing in London on Friday that the £350 million a week figure was disputed "as soon as it was said" and remains the subject of public debate.

He said: "It was just a political claim open to, and available for, contradiction and debate, and it was, and is, for the good sense of the electorate to discount it if they choose so to do.

"It is not for the CPS, judge and jury to determine the misconduct of this claim and it is not for the interested party either."

Lady Justice Rafferty and Mr Justice Supperstone, hearing the case, were being asked to quash the decision of District Judge Margot Coleman, made on May 29, to issue a summons.

Mr Darbishire submitted the judge's decision was an error of law and said the attempt to prosecute Mr Johnson was "politically motivated".

He told the court: "This case clearly represented on the face of it - I will be neutral - a politically-originated ... attempt to prosecute a senior politician using a common law offence for false statements in the course of public debate, a use to which that offence had never been put in this country or any common law jurisdiction."

He added: "Standing on the hustings is not the exercise of state power, and doing something naughty on the hustings is not capable of being an abuse of state power."

The barrister said an attempt to use the criminal justice system for "a political purpose" was an "extremely grave and troubling thing to do".

In written submissions before the court, he said: "In drawing upon freely-available public statistics for the purpose of a political argument, Vote Leave, and those who supported and spoke for that campaign, were clearly not acting as public officials, nor exercising any public power.

"They made no claim to special knowledge of the sums expended by the UK, they exercised no official power in promoting that message and the assessment and publication of the level of the UK's total EU spending formed no part of Mr Johnson's official duties."

He added: "It is abundantly clear that this prosecution is motivated by a political objective and has been throughout."

Mr Ball's lawyers contended Judge Coleman's decision was not unlawful and say the attempted prosecution of Mr Johnson is a matter of "significant public interest".

Jason Coppel QC, for Mr Ball, said in written submissions: "The prosecution raises an issue of significant public and political interest, interest which has been heightened by recent political events - including the candidacy of the claimant for leadership of the Conservative Party.

"But that does not establish that the motivation of the interested parties as prosecutors is improper, whether because it is a purely political motivation or otherwise.

"The entirely proper motivation for the prosecution is to hold to account a high-profile politician and holder of public office for what is alleged to be significant misconduct in relation to an issue of great public importance."

Boris Johnson and the Vote Leave bus
Boris Johnson and the Vote Leave bus
Referring to the £350 million figure, the barrister told the court: "There is ample evidence that (Mr Johnson) did know it was a false and misleading figure."

Mr Johnson did not have to appear and did not attending the current hearing.

Mr Ball, 29, claimed Mr Johnson lied during the 2016 referendum campaign by saying Britain gave £350 million a week to the European Union.

He crowdfunded more than £300,000 through an online campaign to bring the prosecution.

Speaking to reporters before the hearing, he said: "I've spent three years of my life working ridiculous hours for, per hour I believe, the minimum wage to bring this case because I believe in the merits of it.

"Somebody who was doing this to create a stunt would not act like that."

In a written decision on May 29, District Judge Margot Coleman said she was satisfied there was a proper case to issue a summons.

The £350 million figure was emblazoned on the red campaign bus used by Vote Leave during the referendum, with the slogan saying "We send the EU £350 million a week, let's fund our NHS instead".
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Another Remain Loser

Post by Dominic »

Did you actually bother to read the article you posted?

It didn't say he didn't lie. It basically said that he's a politician so he's allowed to.

If you want to claim that as a victory it is pathetic.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jimmy said "A man who crowdfunded to take Boris Johnson to court over alleged lies told regarding the NHS has lost his court case. I've posted the whole article from the Telegraph. Those poor, increasingly desperate anti democracy Remainers really are running out of options now, I'm happy to say...."

Hmmm. - polls state that 70% of the country are against a hard-brexit - so is that democracy? The referendum was advisory (that means not law) so it was passed to parliament to find a way through it and they haven't - and now the people do NOT want a hard-brexit under any cirumstances - so should Johnson be removed for attempting it? It would appear so and the correct decision.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Dominic wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:24 pm Did you actually bother to read the article you posted?
It didn't say he didn't lie. It basically said that he's a politician so he's allowed to.
One could say that of all politicians even the remainers.
However what it did infer was that intelligent people could make their own minds up as to what was being said. Again you could say this of all 'politicians'.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Dominic wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:24 pm Did you actually bother to read the article you posted?

If you want to claim that as a victory it is pathetic.
Weirdly Dominic I did. I'm not claiming any victory, merely posting what happened. Did you actually understand the article? He lost, I said that.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:40 pm Jimmy said "A man who crowdfunded to take Boris Johnson to court over alleged lies told regarding the NHS has lost his court case. I've posted the whole article from the Telegraph. Those poor, increasingly desperate anti democracy Remainers really are running out of options now, I'm happy to say...."

Hmmm. - polls state that 70% of the country are against a hard-brexit - so is that democracy? The referendum was advisory (that means not law) so it was passed to parliament to find a way through it and they haven't - and now the people do NOT want a hard-brexit under any cirumstances - so should Johnson be removed for attempting it? It would appear so and the correct decision.
Opinion polls predicted a Remain victory, what is your point?
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

The coward Cameron said that the referendum would be the decision of the people whether to leave the EU or remain in it, he did not say that it was 'advisory' he also said that if it was a leave vote, which it was, that he would trigger article 50 immediately, there's no bigger liar than him.

Seems he's done ok out of lying through his teeth. :evil:
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
panoscouse

Post by panoscouse »

Firefly wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:30 pm The coward Cameron said that the referendum would be the decision of the people whether to leave the EU or remain in it, he did not say that it was 'advisory' he also said that if it was a leave vote, which it was, that he would trigger article 50 immediately, there's no bigger liar than him.

Seems he's done ok out of lying through his teeth. :evil:
J. I remember the exact same thing. But you have to remember the statement was made by a politician.
They all lie and yet some people still vote for them. The lesser of two evils is still an evil.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jimgym wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:15 pm
Jimgward wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:40 pm Jimmy said "A man who crowdfunded to take Boris Johnson to court over alleged lies told regarding the NHS has lost his court case. I've posted the whole article from the Telegraph. Those poor, increasingly desperate anti democracy Remainers really are running out of options now, I'm happy to say...."

Opinion polls predicted a Remain victory, what is your point?
The point is democracy is going by the majority - who do not want a hard Brexit....
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Yes we do.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

No the majority don't. Hard Brexit was not what was offered to the electorate at all. Not in the slightest.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:44 amYes we do.
Yes, YOU do, but not most thinking people.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

If you do not reside here, you are not aware of the mood in the country for Brexit. Have a look at the social media.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Firefly wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:23 am If you do not reside here, you are not aware of the mood in the country for Brexit. Have a look at the social media.
Jackie
It all depends on what social media you read; if you read the Telegraph etc. there's a biase towards Brexit, read the Independent and the readers favour remain.

Jim
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Jimgward wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:55 pm
The point is democracy is going by the majority - who do not want a hard Brexit....
I recall being asked In or Out, but don't recall any mention of a hard or soft Brexit in the referendum.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

When and who by ?
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

While we're waiting, Jackie, let's remind ourselves of the promises made by our remainer friends:

Firefly

Post by Firefly »

OMG, politicians lying ? NEVER.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Les, we all agreed that politicians lie, why believe any of it, pointless really.

who is behind this 'leave group', it gives no names, nor does it appear to be produced by the government.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

:lol: :lol: