Pachyammos Beaches

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Pachyammos Beaches

Post by Dominic »

Just been adding some more info to the beaches directory:

https://www.paphoslife.com/directory/beach

Unfortunately the FB bug isn't letting me share the images here. But the two newest tours are here:

Pachyammos

http://www.cypruspanoramas.com/panorama ... mmos-beach

pachyammos-beach_02.jpg
pachyammos-beach_02.jpg (110.09 KiB) Viewed 3936 times

pachyammos-beach_06.jpg
pachyammos-beach_06.jpg (130.46 KiB) Viewed 3936 times
Pachyammos 2

http://www.cypruspanoramas.com/panorama ... os-2-beach

02.jpg
02.jpg (137.29 KiB) Viewed 3936 times

06.jpg
06.jpg (132.69 KiB) Viewed 3936 times
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
mike strand2

Re: Pachyammos Beaches

Post by mike strand2 »

I've never heard of Pachyammos Beaches. Where are they?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Look on the beaches directory.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

I was a little disappointed when I read this thread, as the Pachyammos beach I know is up past Pomos harbour, and one end of its headland is adjacent to the UN post guarding access to the small Turkish enclave that necessitates a major albeit scenic diversion up into the hills to proceed to and from Pyrgos.
Your description and directions for the town Pachyammos are good, thank you Dominic.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I have no idea WHY they have to call the Pachyammos Beach which is and was always next to Kokkina enclave also for their beaches in Paphos town.
Very misleading. When living in Polis area, many times I went to Pachyammos for exploring that area.
https://www.facebook.com/Pachyammos

Max
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

A pity that it is so far away from Paphos town. Though it is still technically still in Paphos District. But Paphos District looks on a map of the Island to cover the largest land area.

No doubt Pachyammos too far away for most people to be worth going there for a swim!

Dee
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Dominic wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:56 am Just been adding some more info to the beaches directory:

https://www.paphoslife.com/directory/beach
We have been going to a different beach every morning for the last 10 days or so - your directory was useful, thanks. We have almost completed all the beaches between Rikkos and the main municipality beach near Pizza hut and they all have their pro's and con's. Rikkos beach is certainly quite nice with the new facilities and much more spacious than the others, but we equally liked the Ammos and Sodap ones as well.

I noticed that on your map there is a gap between Paphos and Coral Bay - we do like the beach at St George hotel in Chloraka a lot. It has all facilities and always plenty of waves which the kids enjoy (yet it is protected by a breakwater and safe): https://goo.gl/maps/d49bsQukw965wFRe7. Similar to Corallia the car park is only a few metres from showers which is always a bonus I find.

This week and going fwd we will go to Lighthouse beach and then via Agios Georgios harbour all the way until we reach the Akamas (pic below) - where we spent some days already as the boys wanted to do some serious digging and turtle nest spotting (activties not related and not in proximity to each other).

toxeftra.jpg
toxeftra.jpg (96.08 KiB) Viewed 3495 times
toxeftra 1.jpg
toxeftra 1.jpg (83.47 KiB) Viewed 3495 times
A.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Currently the directory lists only the blue flag beaches. Once we have processed all the pics for them we shall be extending it to include other beaches. Before that though I want to get more bumf on rip tides etc so that such pages can be packed with the correct safety information as well. Blue flag beaches all have life guards. If I am going to plug non lifeguard beaches I want to make damn sure that the safety information as well as information on fatalities is available.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

And I’m glad the directory helped. It’s nice to get feedback.
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Went for an early morning snorkelling tour at the Municipal Bath today and can highly recommend it. We have seen about 50 barracudas swimming in incredible formations, plenty of other fish and also a turtle.

Later in the afternoon the barracudas were still there but the visibility is much worse compared to the morning.

Tomorrow we will be snorkelling from there across to the Sodap beach. It’s interesting to see all the submerged generations of old harbour walls.

A.
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

Wow, never realised that there was that much to see in that area, I'll give it a go next time I am over. Quick tale on barracudas.............I was snorkelling in the med about 10 years ago when all of sudden there was flash of silver in front of my face and a severe tightening of my neck chain, fortunately after a few seconds the pressure eased as the fish let go. I am guessing that the pendant on my neck chain was imitating a prey fish and a cuda went for it. Suffice it to say that I always take off my chain and pendant now before going swimming in the sea !
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

He was after your bling.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

I had a similar experience a couple of years back when a fish, assumed at the time it was a Barracuda, tried to bite off a dolphin shaped metallic logo on the side of my swimming trunks. I saw the fish approach and it quite forcefully bumped into my hip before I cuffed it.
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

No barracudas this morning but a massive loggerhead turtle. I base my assessment on the following stats:

[... The two most common species found in the Mediterranean Sea are the Loggerhead Turtle (Caretta caretta) and the Green Turtle (Chelonia mydas). Both species may be found in the Mediterranean, but each choose to nest in different regions...]

It is thought that the breeding population of Green turtles is down to around 350 females per year, while Loggerheads number around 2500 per year. Around 30% of Greens and 10% of the Loggerheads in the Mediterranean nest in Cyprus. It is estimated that nearly 80% of all Green Turtle nests in the Mediterranean are laid at just 5 key sites. Alagadi beach, just 15Km east of Kyrenia, is one of the few locations in the Mediterranean where both Green and Loggerhead turtles nest.

A.