Fridge engineer wanted for Polemi

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
trevnhil

Fridge engineer wanted for Polemi

Post by trevnhil »

Hi folks.. Twice now in recent weeks our tall fridge has had ice on the back plate... This is a tall fridge only, and the ice melts and drains into a tray that overflows. We have done all the emptying and cleaning etc..
I have just restarted it again after the second drain down an clean...

If it freezes again it would be good to have the name / number of a good fridge man that would come out to Polemi We do have the number for Marios, but he was ill last time I heard about him
Trev..
trevnhil

Re: Fridge engineer wanted for Polemi

Post by trevnhil »

Thanks David, I will print that one out.. I am still hoping for more choices..
Trev..
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Trev - Ice build up on the backplate is something that you really cannot do much about - If it builds up on the inside backplate this occurs when the door is not shut properly or has been open too long caused by the warm external air meeting the cold backplate and freezing - If it occurs on the external backplate or condenser grill this is normally due to high humidity and will not happen all of the time only when very humid but can build up over a period of time
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

My Samsung fridge freezer has a design fault whereby it does not completely defrost, and over a period of some years, ice builds up behind the internal back cover, eventually blocking the fan. Petros Sofocleous came out and got my fridge back working again, both last month and several years ago. His shop is just off the traffic lights at the bottom of Mesoghi Avenue, close to ShipShape, tel 26937264 and 99632841.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thank you both for your advice.. I will keep the phone number on file..
We emptied the tall fridge this morning after turning it off. We left the door open and the frost melted and drained away. I pulled the fridge out and emptied 900ml of water out of the drain trays.
In normal times water that goes into the first tray should evaporate with the heat from the motor...
But there is too much water and the second and third tray are filling and then spilling over.

As far as we are aware the seal is a good fit.. The door is not left open more than normal.. However because of visitors the fridge has been very full, so maybe when air can circulate round it will work better.
Time will tell, it is on now and we will put food in tomorrow if there is no frost on the inside of the backplate
Trev..
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

Is it a new fridge, perhaps it's not rated for Cyprus. Look at the rating plate, should be on the left inside of the fridge, you get:
SN, N, ST, T these mean where in the world they should be used, I'm guessing these a bit as I don't fully remember :
SN (Sub Normal) is 10c to 32c,
N (Normal) is 16c to 32c,
ST(sub Tropical) is 18c to 38c
T (Tropical) is 18c to 43c
For Cyprus, unless you have the air-con all the time you should have an ST or a T
Gary.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Could be too much food preventing air circulation inside the fridge, combined with warm stuff being put in the fridge, plus the door being open more often and possibly for longer than usual.
However, you say your drip trays that collect the defrost water are filling and spilling, rather than evaporating. You are a good DIYer, Trev, could you rig up some sort of pipework from the trays so that you could periodically empty the trays into a bucket without having to keep moving the fridge out from the wall? I am thinking a length of, maybe, irrigation hose with a stopper on the end ...
Kay
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thanks glang3000, but it is not a new fridge it was bought here in 2006, and has worked well in different properties.

Kay may well be on the right track when she says that there may be too much food put in without room for air to circulate around..
I may look at the possibility of extending the drain pipe as well..

But the fridge has been on now more than 12hrs and no sign of any moisture or frost. Now to put food in it, ha ha
Trev..
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

Just a general tip for anyone, a freezer works better when full, a fridge works best when empty. Odd I know.

Gary.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Our tall fridge is back running now with only a few items in it... But water is still running out of the 'extended drain pipe.. And yet I can see no frost at all inside the fridge. It seems to be cold and is set (as always) at 5c
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Well that is a possibility that I had not overlooked ... But a replacement will not be cheap as it a 6 foot tall one... I will probably contact a fridge man tomorrow or next week and and see what he says..
Trev..
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Trev, when you had your fridge empty and switched off, did you remove the internal back panel in order to see how iced up the workings were? If not, it may be an idea for you to try before incurring a call-out charge.
Kay
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

No, I didn't Kay... i may be handy with some things, but others are best left by me to the fridge man ;-)
Trev..
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Ah, a man who knows when he doesn't know! 👍🙂

IS 5C cold enough? I thought fridges were usually run between 2C and 5C? Or maybe this is your drinks fridge, stocked with iced tea, juices and water of course with hardly any room for the odd beer or three and a bottle of white vino! 😀
Kay
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

5c is the setting it has been on since we first got it, with no problems at all.. No it is not a drinks fridge, although it does of course have drinks in it... It is a 6 foot tall larder fridge... I will look into contacting someone today about it.. Fortunately we have another fridge that we are using as well. :-)
Trev..
vic 1

Post by vic 1 »

trev this fridge is set to high should be 3 or four the tray cannot cope
with this amount of water hence over flow take it down a notch and see we had the
same problem and when we took it down all ok.
Vic
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thanks for all the help on this.. An engineer has been this afternoon and checked the Fridge. He tells me that all is running OK now and that the water produced should evaporate with no problems..
Trev..
daveg

Post by daveg »

So what did the engineer say the problem was?....
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Well he didn't really.. He suggested that the door maybe had not been shut properly... And also seemed the thin it was not good to really fill every square inch with food..
He saw that I had extended the drain pipe into a separate container, and I showed him the water that had collected in 2 days.. He seemed to think that was normal and had it been going into the designated collection tanks then it would evaporate... Time will tell as I will keep checking .
We also found out this morning that finding a replacement 6 foot tall Larder fridge would not be easy..
Trev..