Law allows Brits to live in Cyprus in case of no deal Brexit

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Law allows Brits to live in Cyprus in case of no deal Brexit

Post by Paphos Life »

The plenum on Friday unanimously passed legislation regulating the right of UK nationals and their families to move and reside freely in the Republic of Cyprus in the event of a no-deal Brexit....

Read the article and chat about it below...
smudger

Re: Law allows Brits to live in Cyprus in case of no deal Brexit

Post by smudger »

Sanity reigns, praise the Lord.
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

smudger wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:25 pm Sanity reigns, praise the Lord.
If only some of it could return to the UK...
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

It only comes into law if it's reciprocated by the UK government so just clarification of the EU position.

Jim
jeba

Post by jeba »

Does that mean Brits with a S1 form can join GESY even in case of a no-deal scenario without having to pay contributions?
smudger

Post by smudger »

Jim B wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:16 pm It only comes into law if it's reciprocated by the UK government so just clarification of the EU position.

Jim
Don't think there's a lot of doubt about that given the number of Cypriots in the UK!
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

It's up to the 27 members of the EU to decide, Cyprus is just one of them. There are nearly three times the number of Irish in the UK as there are Cypriots and the same goes for Polish people so we will have to wait and see if Cypriots are given favourable treatment.

Jim
smudger

Post by smudger »

Don't think it's favourable treatment, just a continuation of a long standing agreement which predated EU.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

I found the headline of this news article a little misleading. As said, this is just in line in line with what every other EU country is doing - that is, affording the rights to UK citizens BUT with the addition of a reciprocity principle as a pre-requisite. Therefore if the same rights are not offered in the UK to their country's citizens then they are not obliged to implement the law.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Does this mean that people who have been applying for MEU(1) or MEU(3) have been wasting their times and money? :shock:
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

No doubt we will hear from immigration if we need to apply for the MEU 2 form ( residence permit for non EU citizens) to live in Cyprus. Personally, hope not having been through all the rigmarole recently to get my MEU3!
Anyway, the UK is in a state of great uncertainty, especially if Boris wins....

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

smudger wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:41 pm
Jim B wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:16 pm It only comes into law if it's reciprocated by the UK government so just clarification of the EU position.

Jim
Don't think there's a lot of doubt about that given the number of Cypriots in the UK!
There are less then twenty thousand Cypriots living in the UK mostly students
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Well, maybe many of the brexiteers in Cyprus, should thanks their lucky stars, that Cyrprus isn’t set upon being anti-immigration and immigrants, as many in Blighty are! They realise immigration makes a country richer and better!
JimX

Post by JimX »

''There are less then twenty thousand Cypriots living in the UK mostly students''

Not according to these statistics. https://www.google.com/search?q=how+man ... e&ie=UTF-8

And this is just Greek Cypriots this does not include the Turkish Cypriots.
Jim.
WHL

Post by WHL »

JimX wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:03 am ''There are less then twenty thousand Cypriots living in the UK mostly students''

Not according to these statistics. https://www.google.com/search?q=how+man ... e&ie=UTF-8

You keep bringing this up , but you are 100% wrong, the numbers you keep bringing up, are not Cypriot citizens, but British citizens of Cypriot descent, just the same as Irish, Afro Caribbean, etc etc, they were born in Britain and are as British as you and me, one more time they are not Cypriot citizens, and if any deal is done after Brexit re health etc, only the twenty thousand CYPRIOT citizens living in the UK will be in that equation.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Jimgward wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:04 pm They realise immigration makes a country richer and better!
Not sure the American Indians or Mayas would agree. Or Australian aborigines. Just to name a few.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Good point JEBA, but that is going back a bit..... however, modern countries would almost all accept that migrants who work in a country, or are self-sufficient and spend in a country, contribute enormously. The horrible view that the media has perpetrated in the UK, has been that the country is being overrun with migrants who don't work and who steal jobs - Farage even showed a horrible poster of brown and black faces, as though this was the immigrants legally from the EU, who were contributing enormously. We then made them feel like outcasts.
JimX

Post by JimX »

WHL wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:38 am
JimX wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:03 am ''There are less then twenty thousand Cypriots living in the UK mostly students''

You keep bringing this up , but you are 100% wrong, the numbers you keep bringing up, are not Cypriot citizens, but British citizens of Cypriot descent, just the same as Irish, Afro Caribbean, etc etc, they were born in Britain and are as British as you and me, one more time they are not Cypriot citizens, and if any deal is done after Brexit re health etc, only the twenty thousand CYPRIOT citizens living in the UK will be in that equation.
Your correct WHL or what ever your real name is, in twenty years of Cyprus related forums I have mentioned it at least three times, you are wrong and those links prove it. Not that I have any problems with those real figures as I never go back to the UK, also half my local family are indeed Greek Cypriots.

Jeba is also right immigration in-riches most country's, as of course do the Brits here...less we forget.
Jim.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:37 am
mike strand2 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:06 pmDoes this mean that people who have been applying for MEU(1) or MEU(3) have been wasting their times and money? :shock:
With respect Mike, that's as daft as asking if you wasted money insuring your home or car, but did not make a claim during the insured period :roll:

I'd rather have a belt and braces strategy than not make any provision...and then live to regret it afterwards. I and our family now have an inalienable right to reside in Cyprus, whatever calamities arise as a consequence of Brexit.
If you think those pieces of paper give any of us irrevocable rights to live and work in Cyprus, think again! Admittedly, it would take a change in the law, but that's within the right of the Cyprus government. In the 1970's my passport had a visa from the American government that said I could have free passage into the USA for life. On one occasion I presented it on entry to an immigration official who promptly used a big red stamp with the word 'REVOKED'. I was furious, but it was explained that the government had simply changed the rules! :x
WHL

Post by WHL »

JimX wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:36 pm
WHL wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:38 am

Your correct WHL or what ever your real name is, in twenty years of Cyprus related forums I have mentioned it at least three times, you are wrong and those links prove it. Not that I have any problems with those real figures as I never go back to the UK, also half my local family are indeed Greek Cypriots.

Jeba is also right immigration in-riches most country's, as of course do the Brits here...less we forget.
With respect, you are talking rubbish, The three hundred thousand Cypriots you keep banging on about, are British Citizens, born and bred in the UK, it doesn't matter how many times you say it, you are 100% wrong..... there are less than Twenty thousands CYPRIOT CITIZENS living in the UK , the vast majority are students studying at UK universities. and if there is any deal re Brexit, only those CYPRIOT CITIZENS will be in the mix,,,,,, try getting someone to explain it slowly to you, because facts go way over your head. :roll: