Peyia police investigating burglary of holiday villa

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Peyia police investigating burglary of holiday villa

Post by memory man »

Burglars broke into holiday villa in Peyia and made off with cash, jewellery and other valuables, the Cyprus News Agency reports.

It said that a family of British holidaymakers had reported the burglary of their villa in Coral Bay on Sunday.

Police who went to the house found that the burglars had gained access by breaking the aluminium living room window.

They took 3,000 pound sterling in cash, electronic goods worth 2,500 pounds and jewellery worth about 1,000 pounds, it added.

Peyia police are investigating.

https://in-cyprus.com/peyia-police-inve ... day-villa/
Yioula

Re: Peyia police investigating burglary of holiday villa

Post by Yioula »

What always puzzles me ......doesn’t matter what area whether Limassol or Paphos these burglars always know which properties have the €€€€€ & 💍💍💍💍💍 they never fail with their hit............is there a pattern!!!!!
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Why do people take so much money on holiday? It's not as if there aren't ATMs and banks here and many cards offer good exchange rates.

Must admit when I go away I don't take any credit cards, just a pre-loaded card set up so I receive a SMS whenever it is used, easy to track any unauthorised payments in event it was lost/stolen.
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

galexinda wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:52 pm Why do people take so much money on holiday? It's not as if there aren't ATMs and banks here and many cards offer good exchange rates.
Quite. 3000 sterling is just what was left in the villa when they were out. Add that to what they had with them and it's a staggering amount of cash to take abroad.

Unless of course it's an insurance scam......
daveg

Post by daveg »

Who on Earth brings £3000 CASH with them these days...why would you.?
Seems suspicious to me, and as mentioned, how come the burglar's got lucky?.....
manxie

Post by manxie »

when I come for a 5 week stay normally bring about 2to3 thousand sterling good ex rate on harbour I carry card only for emergencies you would have to very lucky to find my hiding places I even fox my self some times sms home to tell where stashed in my opinion its not so much small apt and town houses its the villas the low down scum go for locks are only made to stop honest people out
emgee

Post by emgee »

If its there, it can be found.

Alan
daveg

Post by daveg »

Suggest Manxie you look into a pre paid card like Revolut... excellent exchange rates + you can get limited cash out.....
Carrying vast amounts of cash is asking for trouble...
daveg

Post by daveg »

Further to my last post Revolut is giving €1.11 to £1 ,whereas ,down at the harbour it was €1.09 today.....
No monthly/ joining fees...
manxie

Post by manxie »

They want to be in and out I do not think they are very interested in lower priced complex properties not worth the risk for a few portable electronics ido not want to sound to unconcerned but times have changed from 4or5 years ago when times were tighter I will look into revolut card' is their a time limit on when you have to use all the credit on the card how much can you load on to it or is it not that sort of card
daveg

Post by daveg »

No time / amount limit.....Just read up about it or others to see if it suits you .....
Have used the card all over Europe and of course in the UK...
WHL

Post by WHL »

Mate of mine Holidays in Vegas every year an takes a bundle of cash with him, never ever takes a credit card, he likes a flutter and when his spent the cash that's it, if he had a credit card he would be tempted to spend more.
WHL

Post by WHL »

daveg wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:53 pm Who on Earth brings £3000 CASH with them these days...why would you.?
Seems suspicious to me, and as mentioned, how come the burglar's got lucky?.....
Three thousand isn't that large amount for a family holiday, nowadays.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

daveg wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:46 pm Suggest Manxie you look into a pre paid card like Revolut... excellent exchange rates + you can get limited cash out.....
Carrying vast amounts of cash is asking for trouble...
I currently use a prepaid or P Card issued by Hellenic Bank and it is used like a Debit Card up until the amount of credit on the card at that time.
No other account there. Pay €5 for the card which is valid for 2 years. No other charges involved. Just had to show Passport or MEU1/3 and a utility bill. All utility bills are in my husband's name and this was accepted as I am a family member.

Was told it is very popular with Cypriots who have children overseas studying. I have used it overseas and from here internet shopping, booking hotels, paying in supermarkets etc. It is 'contactless', so use a pin code for transactions €20 plus. I have it set up so each time it is used I receive a SMS message.

I'm sure there is a maximum amount but I usually just put enough on for my needs at the time.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Galexinda
Thanks for the information; our daughter is working in the UK and a card like the P Card would be ideal.
Again many thanks.

Jim