Trump's Latest Pearls of Wisdom

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
PhotoLady

Re: Trump's Latest Pearls of Wisdom

Post by PhotoLady »

He did what he was told, according to the report. Someone else we assume, has leaked the information and if anyone's head should roll, it's theirs.
Our man should stay in his position and let it be yet another reminder to Trump that everything he says and does is still being watched and listened to - and that he has a serious job to do.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Unfortunately, it is almost sure that Trump will declare him persona non grata and he will be forced to leave.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:04 pm Surely he could have reported his findings/opinions verbally.
You obviously have no idea how the FO works. :( :(
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

No unlike everyone else on here, I do not.

Some of you appear to be like a pack of wolves, just waiting to pounce, enjoy.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

This headline made me laugh today.... commented by one who's extremely good at being rather stupid himself:

Trump says UK ambassador 'a very stupid guy
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48921243
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

The UK Ambassador has resigned, he has lost his job albeit his choice. How's that for bizarre and eccentric :roll:
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

That is a shame. I would hardly see his actions as bizarre and eccentric. The person who should get the boot is the person who leaked confidential correspondence.

I certainly don't want a situation where ambassadors are afraid to say what they really think in their reports back home. That could set a very dangerous precedent.

I hope there is an enquiry to whoever leaked the document. They have done the UK no favours.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Already, strong rumours that one of Boris’s group, leaked the correspondence.....
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Dominic

It was part of my post that he may lose his position due to his written words, I was accused of having bizarre and eccentric views, seems not.

As for the charlatan, the lying, cheating, unprincipled buffoon, aren't you glad you don't live here. Your view of him Lloyd, but you tend to be very descriptive in an unflattering manner, just your way I suppose.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:53 pm It was part of my post that he may lose his position due to his written words, I was accused of having bizarre and eccentric views, seems not.
Wrong end of the stick, again. He did not lose his post, he resigned. Also, not because of what he wrote, which has been largely accepted (except by Johnson) but the fact that some third person saw fit to make it public which is a very severe breach (probably criminal) of public service etiquette.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Also, he resigned because a buffoon of a president said things that were unbecoming of a politician, never mind president. He made his position untenable, which should never have happened. Other Presidents would have had a word with May.....
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I thought your bizarre view was that the ambassador should only communicate verbally.

For a start, how is that any safer than written communication?

Secondly, if he only communicates verbally, there is no record of what is said, so how would any data be maintained by London?
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

What goes on in London, non of us will ever truly know, even though some posters seems to think that they do. Why would the Ambassador's words need to be maintained about the Trump administration ? I expect one or two on here will know.

Devil, if he hadn't written those words, he would still have a job, so in effect, that was the cause of him no longer being Ambassador, which ever way you spin it.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Correspondence has to be maintained in any business. It isn't anything controversial, just standard practice everywhere.

This is also why meetings have written minutes. So everybody can be sure what was said. If you relied on word of mouth it would be utter chaos.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Obviously Dominic, but I did specify the Trump Administration.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

What do you mean?
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

It’s amazing how the media has moved this into a castigation of the ambassador, rather than the whistleblower. If GCHQ cannot get to the bottom of the leak, then something is far wrong. I cannot imagine that an ambassador’s communications are distributed outside the top echelons of the Firesign office and no. 10. Was Boris foreign office minister when these communications were sent?
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:06 pm Devil, if he hadn't written those words, he would still have a job, so in effect, that was the cause of him no longer being Ambassador, which ever way you spin it.
No! Those words were written a long time ago and were not the cause of his retirement. Because some person saw fit to publish them, probably illegally, was the cause. I suspect that the 'some person' was politically motivated to discredit the ambassador. Who?
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I totally agree that whoever leaked the information has a lot to answer for, who ? we may never know, nor what the motive was.

Some consider my views to be bizarre and eccentric, so be it, but they are my views. I respect all posts whether I agree or not, please afford the same courtesy to mine. Your disagreement does not mean that you are right, nor I.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I watched it Lloyd and it showed what a pair of chancers they are. If they were in the private sector they wouldn't last five minutes. As I've said many times, you reap what you sow.

Jim