Halloumi burgers added to Burger King menus in the UK

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Halloumi burgers added to Burger King menus in the UK

Post by memory man »

In a salad, battered with a sweet chili dip, or simply on its own, halloumi has quickly become one of the nation's favourite cheeses.
And now the popular Cypriot cheese is making its way onto fast food menus.

Burger King has launched halloumi burgers across the UK after a successful trial in Sweden.
The new BK burger features the cheese in a crispy coating, served with mayonnaise, lettuce, onions and tomatoes in a brioche bun, DevonLive reports.

And if you can't get enough halloumi - the burger also comes in a double.
It is the first halloumi burger to be served at a major UK fast-food chain.

A Burger King spokesman said: “This new addition to the menu will bolster Burger King’s meat-free alternatives.
“[It will] sit alongside Burger King’s iconic offerings, such as the flame-grilled Whopper, as either an alternative or an accompaniment.”
Setting you back £3.99 for a single burger (£5.99 as a meal), or £5.49 for the double (and £7.49 as a meal), the halloumi burger launches in Burger King stores nationwide from today (July 8).

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/what ... ng-3067862
WHL

Re: Halloumi burgers added to Burger King menus in the UK

Post by WHL »

plastic halloumi yuk
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

I've never seen the appeal of halloumi. I've tried it from both ends of the cost spectrum, from the ultra cheap to the expensive, and also tried it in the north, and can't see what the fuss is about.

Each to their own, I suppose.

As for the Swedes, they say the stuff is unhealthy: https://cyprus-mail.com/2019/07/04/swed ... -halloumi/

That article makes grim reading.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I was going to post that link, knowing from the past that the cows standing in the hundreds together in full sunshine in summer could survive only with high dosages of antibiotics.
For that reason I don't buy Cypriot milk or joghurt which I eat a lot ...

On the other hand the topic is about the UK where they produce their own halloumi perhaps using less antibiotics...

Max
smudger

Post by smudger »

I'm pretty sure they will Max, but was quite surprised at your comment re milk and yoghurt. So what milk and yoghurt do you use?? Can't say I've ever given it a thought but it bears consideration.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

They've spoiled it if they put it in a brioche bun..... just slap it in a burger bun and be done with it!
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I didn't know that the UK produces Halloumi, it always seems to read 'product of Cyprus' on the cheese I buy here.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

smudger wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:20 pm I'm pretty sure they will Max, but was quite surprised at your comment re milk and yoghurt. So what milk and yoghurt do you use?? Can't say I've ever given it a thought but it bears consideration.
Well, I used to buy a lot German UHT milk at Lidl until they changed the producer (Bulgaria). Since then I buy only condensed milk from Germany. With yoghurt I go for 1 kg container 2% which has to be from Greece, not Cyprus and I use every week two of them. I like to eat it together with Nuremberg sausages, sometimes I do a nice tzatziki or as a sweet with Cypriot honey or jam. (also my dog Lucky likes it a lot)

Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Firefly wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:49 pm I didn't know that the UK produces Halloumi, it always seems to read 'product of Cyprus' on the cheese I buy here.
Read that link and you know more about Halloumi made in UK....

https://cyprus-mail.com/2015/11/08/cypr ... akers-say/

Max
smudger

Post by smudger »

I'll certainly check specifically for Greek yoghurt now, but not sure what you mean by condensed milk?? The condensed milk I know relates back to post war which I had as a child and is very sweet and not something I could use in place of cows milk. Suspect we may not be talking about the same thing?
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

smudger wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:19 pm I'll certainly check specifically for Greek yoghurt now, but not sure what you mean by condensed milk?? The condensed milk I know relates back to post war which I had as a child and is very sweet and not something I could use in place of cows milk. Suspect we may not be talking about the same thing?
I should have said canned milk perhaps, which is available "light" or "full fat". The other one, same size, was the ONLY milk available in the '70s, came from Nestle and very very sweet. It was always subsidised then from the Gov. and for years always 30c like all the basic food: sugar, flower, rice, lentils,pasta...etc.

Max
smudger

Post by smudger »

Evaporated perhaps??? Still not something I could take in my morning cuppa! But given that's just about the only milk I have I guess I can tolerate whatever may be in it! But will definitely look for Greek yoghurt rather than Cypriot.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

CM

I'll look for it when I'm next in Sainsbury's.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.