Campaign to promote Paphos as domestic tourism destination

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Campaign to promote Paphos as domestic tourism destination

Post by Paphos Life »

A targeted campaign to promote Paphos as the top destination to spend summer on the island has been launched.Aimed at domestic tourists, the Paphos regional board of tourism announced the drive which will run until August 5....

Read the article and chat about it below...
galexinda

Re: Campaign to promote Paphos as domestic tourism destination

Post by galexinda »

It would help if accommodation charges were reduced for domestic holidaymakers - in some cases I have looked at a stay of approx 5-7 nights and it worked out cheaper for someone to fly from the UK (similar accommodation and flights included) than to book direct with the hotel. Far better to have a higher bed occupancy over a longer period of time.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Modern hotel chains suck. When we had to stay the night in a Heathrow Hotel, we phoned the number of the hotel, as their Google maps entry was wrong. The person answering was in the US, and unable to provide us with any directions.

Regarding direct hotel prices, perhaps they are high so the hotels can offer a discount to the tour operators? I agree though, that is the first thing that needs to change.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

The tour operators buy a percentage of rooms at a “price “ which is amazingly low, so the hotels sell to the rest at a premium depending on supply and demand .......
I always have a look at trivago but prices everywhere are inflated in school holidays....
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

You can get some great deals for Paphos on the bookcyprus.com website.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:48 pm As with flights, the secret to getting a cheap hotel booking (or rather a good hotel cheap) is to book yonks in advance. If you book at or around the time you intend to stay, you will get screwed.

A couple of years ago we stayed at an on-airport hotel in Brussels. We booked months in advance and paid something like €90 for a double room, which was actually very good value. While we were staying there we looked online to see what the current rate was (as they still had availability) and it was well over €200 for the same room.

For anything more than a couple of night's stay we use Airbnb. Last Feb we got an Airbnb apartment near Cambridge c/w with it's own bathroom, sitting room, bedroom and kitchen, all furnished to a very high modern standard, c/w washing machine, tumble dryer, oven, microwave etc; £240 for 6 nights.

Son-in-law's brother has just come out for a week's holiday and he has booked an Airbnb apartment in Paphos. I suspect this is the way the market will go over time, in the same was as package holidays are slowly but surely giving way to tourist booking their own flights and accomodation online.
Years ago my wife bought a flight for the UK a few months before the date, €140... a week before the flight I had to go with her , it cost me €575, I kid you not, felt as sick as a parrot, sitting next to her, knowing what she had paid.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yioula wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:38 pm The tour operators buy a percentage of rooms at a “price “ which is amazingly low, so the hotels sell to the rest at a premium depending on supply and demand .......
I always have a look at trivago but prices everywhere are inflated in school holidays....
They aren't inflated during school holidays. They are reduced during off-peak times.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Dominic wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:18 am
Yioula wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:38 pm The tour operators buy a percentage of rooms at a “price “ which is amazingly low, so the hotels sell to the rest at a premium depending on supply and demand .......
They aren't inflated during school holidays. They are reduced during off-peak times.
I think Dominic should change his name to Michael O'Leary :lol:
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

But don't forget the other side of the coin, so to speak... The Hotel providing A I is a local business.
Trev..
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Yioula wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:38 pm I always have a look at trivago but prices everywhere are inflated in school holidays....
We didn't charge more because of school holidays. We charged more to cover increased use of air con during the summer months. April (Easter) was one of our cheaper times. As was October (half term). We decided to close over the winter months for two main reasons: firstly, we needed time with no guests in order to carry out any maintenance or upgrades, and secondly we felt the cost of gas for the central heating would push our prices too high.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

mike strand2 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:00 pm
Dominic wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:18 am
I think Dominic should change his name to Michael O'Leary :lol:
You can laugh all you want, but if, for instance, the EU passed a law stating that there should be a uniform price throughout the year, do you think the price would be closer to peak times or off-peak times?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Flossie wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:51 am I know for a fact that an awful lot of domestic tourists sit around their accommodation watching TV - my husband has to ensure all the TVs in the rooms/apartments/maisonettes where he works have good local TV reception as opposed to the oodles of satellite ones preferred by the Russians and israelis!!

The aerials are cheap enough from Jumbo....you'd be amazed how many 'disappear' at check out..!
I'm sure that's not all they do. But I can fully understand the practice during the middle of the day. When we holidayed here with small kids, an afternoon siesta was pretty much essential.

We had to ban our boy from watching the TV on his own though. He would otherwise find the channels which advertised Arabic sex chat lines. It was really weird. Almost like spoof tv.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Well, siestas in the med countries are not exactly uncommon. It makes sense, too. Get up early and go exploring. Rest during the hottest part of the day and go out again when it gets a bit cooler.
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Flossie wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:53 am There are even some who bring all their washing from home to use the electricity and water in their apartments instead of run up their home bills... I kid you not!
I find that very hard to believe. How do they get all that laundry and the clothes, shoes etc. that they use on holiday in one allowance (each) suitcase?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Flossie wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:59 am This article is about DOMESTIC tourism so it's those who come from Nicosia etc etc!!!
People bringing their dirty laundry ,on holiday with them , as to save a few cents on electricity, nah not buying that,
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Lofos-Jan wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:46 am You can get some great deals for Paphos on the bookcyprus.com website.

Jeanne
This is my favourite site, although I do look at others but have found their payment methods more complicated.
Now get 10-15% off most bookings after the publicised offer price because I use booking.com regularly for short on-island stays in hotels and self-catering.

Last experience earlier this year for self-catering was that the items listed in the room were included on the site but on arrival at the establishment the owner wanted a deposit for the hairdryer, a deposit for the adapter to use the clock radio,etc.(said this was listed on site and that he had to make a charge because so many were taken - however, told him if I had known I would have packed my own hairdryer etc - resulted in him letting me have the 'extra items' at no charge) many of the facilities were out of date eg taverna on-site advertising snacks during the day and evening meals was just used for breakfast - and had been like this for the past two years. I complained to booking.com about this and they have given me a €25 voucher towards my next holiday (no expiry date), and they have been in contact with the owner and amended the details on their site.
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Flossie wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:35 pm Please feel free to pm me for details of people you could confirm it with! Have you ever been involved with the hospitality business? I was raised in it and trust me you couldn't make up half the stuff that happens!
But you could make up the other half….. ;)

I suppose if you end a sentence with an exclamation mark then it must be true.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Flossie has asked me to delete her account and posts. This will not delete quoted posts, so the above thread may look a bit odd.
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

That’s a shame. I’m going to miss her.
A.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yes it is. Personally I think that if you are fed up with a place you should just take a breather for a while. But if somebody requests that their account and posts are deleted, I am legally bound to honour that request.