UK - NHS doctors vote to stop charging overseas patients

Got something to share that isn't strictly related to Cyprus? Post it here.
galexinda

UK - NHS doctors vote to stop charging overseas patients

Post by galexinda »

Doctors have voted to stop billing foreign patients for NHS care.

Health tourism is thought to cost anything from £200million to £2billion a year. The BMA, which is one of the country’s most powerful trade unions, will now lobby the Department of Health to overhaul the charging system. Although the Government sets the rules, they function only if doctors follow them.

‘Most people would expect our NHS services to be reserved for those who are living here permanently and who are contributing to our system.’

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... itals.html
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: UK - NHS doctors vote to stop charging overseas patients

Post by Dominic »

Fundamentally, this is why the NHS is in such bad state.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

This is misleading, but then it is the Daily Mail. Health 'tourism' estimated to cost up to £180m a year.

The majority of the costs are either from EU nationals visiting, that can be recoverable - around £500m and

Migrants or those who are temporarily here and cannot or won't be billed. This can be very high costs and can include - Expats living abroad - £95m etc. etc.

Just to clarify;

"If you are moving abroad on a permanent basis, you will no longer be entitled to medical treatment in the UK under normal NHS rules. This is because the NHS is a residence-based healthcare system. Most people will also not be entitled to use a UK-issued EHIC card to access healthcare abroad."

The decisions, should not fall to doctors, but to bean counters in hospitals. There is no mechanism for a GP to charge.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

After Brexit, whenever it happens, what are ex pats supposed to do if they fall ill when visiting the UK ??
Trev..
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

This is the rules pre-Brexit. Maybe they will change post-Brexit, but maybe not.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Sheer lunacy. Have they no notion of the difficulties the NHS is already in?? Why in Gods name should the UK foot the bill for overseas health seekers??
The logic defeats me.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Trev, unless there is a reciprocal agreement in place by then - as prior the EU - I would imagine it's an insurance matter, but hey, who knows ??
smudger

Post by smudger »

I have a friend, resident here for 14years, actually in the UK at the moment seeking serious cancer treatment. She has been there almost 7 weeks now and no treatment has begun, she is now being questioned about her income and the value of her house.
Something I have never come across before - she has also had to see a dentist regarding any possible treatment prior to any treatment applicable to the cancer begins.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

smudger wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:30 pm I have a friend, resident here for 14years, actually in the UK at the moment seeking serious cancer treatment. She has been there almost 7 weeks now and no treatment has begun, she is now being questioned about her income and the value of her house.
Something I have never come across before - she has also had to see a dentist regarding any possible treatment prior to any treatment applicable to the cancer begins.
That is seriously Bad News :-( But I wonder why she did not seek the cancer treatment in Cyprus
Trev..
smudger

Post by smudger »

Good question Trev and one which many of us have questioned, and as time goes on continue to do. She was persuaded by her siblings in the UK that she needed to be with her family. But all tests and examinations had been done here and treatment was all set to commence the day after she left Cyprus for the UK. So not good, particularly as she is being questioned on her financial situation. So so sad.
But it does show that there is not necessarily a right to treatment in the UK once we have left so worth bearing in mind.
jeba

Post by jeba »

I´m not sure about the situation for expat Brits back in the UK but I read that your EHIC card (I guess she has a Cypriot one) by default only covers unexpected treatment in a member state you´re not resident in (like a travel insurance). You can´t simply choose to get treatment in another EU country without prior approval (unless you´re prepared to pay for it out of pocket). Germany voluntarily waived that part of the EU regulation for expats seeking treatment in Germany but that´s above and beyond what EU rules are requiring. So I´m guessing that unless the UK has a similiar waiver in place she would need authorisation by her Cypriot public health insurance. Maybe worth checking this out and asking for it?
smudger

Post by smudger »

Thanks for that Jeba, we did all caution her on this before she went, but her family was telling her that she would be entitled to treatment so she went along with them. Seven weeks later the uk NHS are still prevaricating, their prerogative. She just wasn't prepared to listen to reason, had she stayed here she would be 7 weeks into her treatment now. Instead of which, she has had nothing, and still more prevaricating. As I said, such a sad situation.
jeba

Post by jeba »

smudger wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:25 pm Thanks for that Jeba, we did all caution her on this before she went, but her family was telling her that she would be entitled to treatment so she went along with them. Seven weeks later the uk NHS are still prevaricating, their prerogative. She just wasn't prepared to listen to reason, had she stayed here she would be 7 weeks into her treatment now. Instead of which, she has had nothing, and still more prevaricating. As I said, such a sad situation.
Wouldn´t hurt to ask GESY for authorisation now at least. Better late than never. She could argue she is in the UK already where she can get help by family and that that in itself is of therapeutic value. She should also be aware of the risk that her condition might deteriorate to such an extent that she will no longer be fit to fly - especially once chemotherapy has started. That had become an issue for my late mother when she wanted to go back to Germany for treatment.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

A little late I know, but I had cancer treatment in Nicosia, it was the best, cleanest hospital I have been in for a very long time. The treatment was first class, and everyone was so kind. That was ten years go now, and touch wood all seems to still be ok. I would recommend treatment in Cyprus to anyone.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

My wife too has had treatment there, and I agree it is a brilliant, extremely well run hospital..
Trev..