landlord/tennant dispute.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Chaddy

landlord/tennant dispute.

Post by Chaddy »

The tenant has rented the apartment for around 10 years.There has never been a contract signed.He has always been behind in paying the rent.The rent he is paying ( when he does pay ) is about about 60% of the going rate for that type of apartment in the area.It must be said that he is now elderly and claims he his broke living hand to mouth waiting for his state pension from the UK.
The property has fallen ( due to the tennants age ) into a state of disrepair.He claims that he simply can not afford to move mainly to the low rent he is paying.

The landlord needs the property back for the reason that he badly needs the funds from the sale of it for an emergency due to genuine unforeseen circumstances and he knows he will have to spend a lot of time and money putting it saleable.

It has been suggested to the landlord that he sells the property as is,with a sitting tenant but he knows that with the low rental income and its state of repair he will struggle doing that.

Yes,a sad saga, can anyone offer some advice which would be greatly appreciated.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: landlord/tennant dispute.

Post by Dominic »

The landlord should either register as a charity or get an eviction order I guess.*

* This is idle speculation and personal opinion.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
darrow

Post by darrow »

Whoever the landlord is, it seems he is is being taken for a ride! People who come here, or at least it was so for us, get interviewed to assess their ability to live here independent of the state. There is a minimum amount you have to prove that you have access to before you can live here! He probably has finance in U.K. that he doesn't draw on! In any case it is not the landlord's responsibility to sub his lifestyle! Time to review the situation, and do what is best for themselves not the tenant. A lawyer experienced in rentals should be able to advise.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Have recently been looking at how well rental leases compare and even some of them are not as they seem - not spoken to a Lawyer but do have direct contact with some rental agents who are often queried over tenants rights when the landlord wants his property back. So the fact there is no lease, rental payments have not been made on time, the property has fallen into disrepair must all be considered. However, as HIC states in an earlier comment, only an expert in this particular field of law can give the correct advice as, who knows, the tenant may have rights eg not allowed to be made homeless due to his age. Darrow, there are people living on a UK State Pension as their only source of income!
jeba

Post by jeba »

What about allowing him to sublet part of the property or look for a housemate he can share the rent with? Maybe that would allow him to pay rent and would make the place more sellable without exposing him to undue hardship?
darrow

Post by darrow »

galexinda wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:18 pm Have recently been looking at how well rental leases compare and even some of them are not as they seem - not spoken to a Lawyer but do have direct contact with some rental agents who are often queried over tenants rights when the landlord wants his property back. So the fact there is no lease, rental payments have not been made on time, the property has fallen into disrepair must all be considered. However, as HIC states in an earlier comment, only an expert in this particular field of law can give the correct advice as, who knows, the tenant may have rights eg not allowed to be made homeless due to his age. Darrow, there are people living on a UK State Pension as their only source of income!
I am well aware that there are people in UK who have only state pension. However we have been here 10 years and were required to show our income sources. I believe at that time a minimum of €12000 per couple was required to live here and €8000 for a single person. Of course it requires an expert to assess the situation, but if he is struggling then it is still not the landlord's responsibility is it? Perhaps there are organisations who could help him? I know the Anglican church help several poor families in the Paphos area. If we are using UK as an example, age does not give protection from eviction. It was not too long ago a man of 82 was turned into the streets, because of rent arrears, in UK, not his fault, but due to that awful universal debacle that meant he never got his money on time. There was an uproar at the time.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Many thanks to all who have responded so far,but I must state again that the landlord ( and I know him ) does not want to aquire back and sell the apartment for no other reason that he is now desperate for the funds from a sale due to unforeseen financial needs and quickly....Thanks again.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Darrow - ''I am well aware that there are people in UK who have only state pension. However we have been here 10 years and were required to show our income sources''.

My comment refers to people living here (Cyprus) on a UK State Pension. We live on my husband's UK State Pension - and do well on our small income and we pay rent. Only had to prove income when registering for MEU1 a few years ago and are now MEU3 document holders.

I used to belong to three ladies groups in Paphos and at that time there were a two widows who owned their properties but when their husbands died found that their only source of income was their UK state income due to the way certain pension schemes were set up in those days.

It was not our intention to live in Cyprus when we retired but more than happy to be here when circumstances beyond our control made the decision for us.

Last edited by galexinda on Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Chaddy wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:07 pm Many thanks to all who have responded so far,but I must state again that the landlord ( and I know him ) does not want to aquire back and sell the apartment for no other reason that he is now desperate for the funds from a sale due to unforeseen financial needs and quickly....Thanks again.
Can you explain this a bit more clearly please, as I can't work out what you mean.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Dominic,the landlord,needs the property back urgently so he can sell it.He needs the money from the sale to pay some unexpected bills which he must pay soon..I feel sorry for both the tenant and the landlord but that's life I suppose..Hope this explains it.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

My layman's opinion is that you need to look at eviction. However you really need proper legal advice, as that isn't necessarily easy.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Dominic wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:45 pm My layman's opinion is that you need to look at eviction. However you really need proper legal advice, as that isn't necessarily easy.
Chances are it won´t help in the short run. A lawyer I know told me he´s been trying for 12 years to evict a non-paying tenant of his.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Flossie wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:53 am Evictions are rare here, which is why savvy landlords keep the water in THEIR name as a form of leverage in that they can disconnect it as a last resort when there are disputes!
You can not deprive a household of water. just because you want them out. as long as the water bil is being paid, the water board will not cut the water off.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Chaddy wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:16 am The property has fallen ( due to the tennants age ) into a state of disrepair.He claims that he simply can not afford to move mainly to the low rent he is paying.
Surely the repair of the property is the responsibility of the owner/landlord, not the tenant, if he/she has neglected that its their own fault.
David
WHL

Post by WHL »

Flossie wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:37 am Sorry WHL you are wrong and they will! I haven't ever had to do it to my tenants but I know people who have and it worked on getting rid it trouble making vandals!
No you are wrong, you can't deprive a family of water, just because you want them out of the property.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Flossie wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:18 pm What a Utopian world you live in!
It's called the real World,
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Uncle D wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:29 am
Chaddy wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:16 am The property has fallen ( due to the tennants age ) into a state of disrepair.He claims that he simply can not afford to move mainly to the low rent he is paying.
Surely the repair of the property is the responsibility of the owner/landlord, not the tenant, if he/she has neglected that its their own fault.
Uncle D,maybe I used the word disrepair wrongly..The tenant is a heavy smoker,stained walls and ceiling ruined curtains,junk scattered around outside,broken plant pots etc.The neighbours say he is devaluing their property,s due to the
WHL

Post by WHL »

Flossie wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:16 pm OK if these tenants were in breach of contract, owed rent or were vandalising the place what would you do?!!!

Quote Evictions are rare here, which is why savvy landlords keep the water in THEIR name as a form of leverage in that they can disconnect it as a last resort when there are disputes!

What you Posted was wrong , no more no less, that's it.
June

Post by June »

WHL you said water cannot be disconnected so long as the bill is paid. If the OWNER keeps the water in their name and stops payment???
WHL

Post by WHL »

June wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:35 pm WHL you said water cannot be disconnected so long as the bill is paid. If the OWNER keeps the water in their name and stops payment???
It makes no difference the Water board will not cut the water off while a family is living there,
the tenants have rights, if the owner wants to remove a tenant, then they have to go the legal route through the courts, you can't just cut someone's water off to force them out,