Cypriot serial killer given seven life sentences

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
lionelcyprus

Cypriot serial killer given seven life sentences

Post by lionelcyprus »

The sentence, passed on Monday, is the toughest ever imposed by the Cypriot justice system.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... -two-girls
Very sad. Hard to believe this happened in Cyprus.
Dominus illuminatio mea
mike strand2

Re: Cypriot serial killer given seven life sentences

Post by mike strand2 »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:17 pm Words still fail. What's surprising is that the killer had two kids of his own. I wonder how he would have reacted had someone had killed his ex-wife and then bumped his kids off.

One can only hope that, karma-like, his kids never want anything to do with him again.

Remarkable too how quick this case went to Court and he was judged and punished with 7 life sentences. Other countries could take note.
He didn't have a lawyer Lloyd!
Ams

Post by Ams »

It seems as though because he pleaded guilty the judge could just pass sentence without a full court case. It's not clear how much of the evidence the police have been gathering for the last few months was actually presented in court. I would guess that if he pleaded not guilty and had a lawyer defending him it would have taken much longer.

Words fail me too. That he did this, and that he got away with it for so long because the police didn't care about the missing people reports.

And while I really feel for the family and friends of his victims, I feel for his family too. Can you imagine what it must be like to be his parents, brother or sister, ex-wife, in such a small society as Cyprus? And his poor children. I think they're still young so the family may be able to shelter them from gossip to a certain extent, but that won't last long.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

mike strand2 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:46 pm
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:17 pm Words still fail. What's surprising is that the killer had two kids of his own. I wonder how he would have reacted had someone had killed his ex-wife and then bumped his kids off.

One can only hope that, karma-like, his kids never want anything to do with him again.

Remarkable too how quick this case went to Court and he was judged and punished with 7 life sentences. Other countries could take note.
He didn't have a lawyer Lloyd!
He didn't WANT a lawyer !
Louise :)
smudger

Post by smudger »

Justice; her name is woman.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

I think folks missed my point about Lloyds comment that 'he didn't have a lawyer' & that the legalities were wrapped up so swiftly.

If had appointed a top lawyer I'm sure the lawyer would have dragged the case into 2020. ;)
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Wonder if this mans 7 life sentences will actually run con currently? If this is so, at a later date, will he able to apply for remission of his sentence because he is sorry for what he did and is a reformed character?
For the sake of women and children on this island I hope not.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

A bullet to the back of his evil head, would do for me.
WHL

Post by WHL »

On a side note can anyone remind us what led to his arrest ?.
memory man

Post by memory man »

Does this help at all?

The case came to light on April 14 with the discovery of the bound body of 38-year-old Filipina Mary Rose Tiburcio down a flooded mineshaft near the lake.

This triggered a homicide investigation that led to Metaxas’ arrest before a second body, believed to be that of fellow Philippino lady Arian Palanas Lozano, 28, was found in the same spot on April 20.

https://greekcitytimes.com/2019/05/01/c ... -children/
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:55 am Wonder if this mans 7 life sentences will actually run con currently? If this is so, at a later date, will he able to apply for remission of his sentence because he is sorry for what he did and is a reformed character?
For the sake of women and children on this island I hope not.

Dee
https://cyprus-mail.com/2019/06/24/five ... al-killer/
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

I wonder how he will be treated by other prisoners (& warders?) whilst in prison. I would not be surprised if he gets murdered!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I doubt he will be Murdered... It will just be an Accident ;-)
Trev..
memory man

Post by memory man »

Mitsero serial killer eligible to apply for parole after 25 years behind bars

The statement read out by convicted serial killer Nicos Metaxas to Nicosia Criminal Court could act in his favour when – 25 years from now – he is entitled to apply for parole, criminologist Yiannis Polychronis told Radio Active on Tuesday.

Metaxas, a 35 year old army officer, was handed down seven life sentences after pleading guilty to killing five women and two children. Five of the life sentences are consecutive and two are concurrent.

Under Cyprus law, as the life sentences are consecutive, Metaxas must serve 25 years before he can apply for parole – without this meaning that parole will be granted.

Had the life sentences been concurrent, he would have been entitled to apply for parole after serving 12 years behind bars.

Polychronis told Radio Active that Metaxas’ statement to the court – when he burst into tears, apologised and showed regret, combined with the fact that he cooperated with authorities, pleaded guilty and did not seek lengthy court proceedings, will be in his favour should he apply for parole in 25 years times.

But all will depend on his rehabilitation and behaviour in prison he added.

The criminologist said that the fact that Metaxas had recognised he had a problem and put himself at the disposal of researchers so that similar tragedies can be avoided in future also worked in his favour.

In his statement after pleading guilty, Metaxas had apologised to the families of the victims, the souls of the victims, his own family and to Cyprus society which he said must wonder how anyone could commit such abhorrent crimes.

“The same question is tormenting me too, but I have still not found the answer,” he said.

Polychronis said that legal circles had expected the trial to last about 15 days, yet it was over within a few hours.

He added that the conditions under which lifers are held in prison differ from those of other prisoners.

After eight years, Metaxas will be allowed an eight hour prison furlough, always accompanied by four prison wardens. This is conditional on his behaviour in prison and how dangerous he is considered.

Polychronis said that it was up to prison management to protect the convict as the nature of his crimes were abhorrent to other prisoners.

He added that each convict is assigned to a specific prison wing depending on how dangerous he is and on how much danger he faces from other prisoners.

https://in-cyprus.com/mitsero-serial-ki ... hind-bars/