Photovoltaic electricity

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
mike strand2

Photovoltaic electricity

Post by mike strand2 »

I'd be interested to hear from other Forum members who have installed photovoltaic panels.

I have received 2 quotes for a 3KW system comprising 11 panels. Specifications appear similar. What concerns me is the massive difference in the cost; One is €3,080 more than the other!
Jimgward

Re: Photovoltaic electricity

Post by Jimgward »

I had a 5kw system fitted in February. I went for a system that allows you to generate electricity, even when one or more panels are in shadow. It is rare to have all panels perfectly positioned, with no shadows from chimneys, trees or even birds. They are known as “Power Optimisers” that effectively turn a system linked in series, into a parallel circuit.

Supplier is one of the sponsors of the site
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The system Jimgward refers to is more expensive than the cheapest options available, however it produces better results. So prices for a 3KW system can vary depending on what sort of system you are getting.

Our system is the cheaper variety, but our panels are on the ground, rather than on a rooftop, as we had sufficient space. Even so, I have to ensure that hedges are trimmed so that no shadows are cast over the panels. And if I deliberately wave my arm over the panels, to create s small shadow, you can see a significant drop in electricity production.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We have had a 3 kw system for 3 or 4 years now, and it cost roughly €5,000. It is on the roof and there is nothing to cause any shadows on it.. It faces South East, rather then directly South.. It is very rare for us to have to pay for any electricity at all now, we just pay the standing charges every two months. At the moment these charges are around €33 for two months.
Trev..
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Mike, if you do a search on the forum for net metering, photovoltaic, solar panels and any other key words you can think of, you will find more than one thread. Several of us have net metering systems, if you want to see how mine is after installation several years ago, pm me. Best investment (after house purchase) made by my late husband and I. 🙂
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

mike strand2 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:06 pm I'd be interested to hear from other Forum members who have installed photovoltaic panels.

I have received 2 quotes for a 3KW system comprising 11 panels. Specifications appear similar. What concerns me is the massive difference in the cost; One is €3,080 more than the other!
More information about net-metering you can find here:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1154

Max
RES consultant
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I just realized that it is necessary an update of my post 2 years ago:

Update:
Since March 2019 there are subsidies from the Gov., maximum 1000 Euro per installation (250 Euro per kWp) and also it is possible now to apply for a 10 kWp system.

Max
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

A subsidy from the government is always welcome.. But I doubt the AVERAGE person would ever need a 10kWp system..
Trev..
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:48 pm A subsidy from the government is always welcome.. But I doubt the AVERAGE person would ever need a 10kWp system..
Max didn't say that Trev. He said also available for a 10Kwp
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Max said... Quote " and also it is possible now to apply for a 10 kWp system. " unquote....
I just replied that the average person (in my view) would not need a 10 kWp system... I have a 3 kWp system and usually that supplies all we need for a large 4 bed bungalow..
Trev..
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:02 pm
I just replied that the average person (in my view) would not need a 10 kWp system... I have a 3 kWp system and usually that supplies all we need for a large 4 bed bungalow..
Yes, but as far as I know you have no swimming pool, which is the largest consumer in a private household if you run it properly (in summer 6-8 hours), next to air conditioning. The way, many houses are built in Cyprus even recently with poor insulation, or more specific with huge windows,
(mainly the new ultramodern projects) leading to high consumption in electricity in summer and winter. People which don't like to have diesel/gas heating installed have to go the electric path.... which leads to much higher electricity bills, except they are covered from a large PV system.
Many foreigners (Russian, Chinese, Germans) are more open to the new technologies and ask more and more for photovoltaic installed in their premises also looking forward to charge their future e-car at home as in Cyprus we are behind infrastructure (like many other civilized countries) Of course you need also the space for the 5-10 kWp panels installed which could be a combination of roof mounted and on the ground somewhere in the garden.

Max
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Yes, I can only agree with what you say Max. In our situation although we have a large bungalow it is well insulated and heated by gas..
Trev..
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

We have gone for a larger system than we probably need at present. We used to use oil central heating, but the last time we filled our tank it cost 500€ which lasted a winter, and we were only here for half of it. Our neighbour, a full time resident, in a similar sized villa was spending over €1000 in a winter on oil. Recently, we have reduced our heating costs considerably by using the air con on heat mode and two calor gas stoves.
We now intend to heat by electric and also to use the aircon more in the summer.
We have a new aircon unit in the lounge which is almost silent. The one the developer put in the dining room is huge and on normal winter days heats the through lounge, dining room and hallways. In fact, if you come out of one of the bedrooms in winter, you can feel the warmth hit you.
We are looking to the future and will probably do a similar installation in the UK. In the UK there is talk that gas central heating systems will be banned from new builds and log burners will also be banned. The smoke from log burners is becoming a real problem, especially in cities at the weekend.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

We have a 5Kw system plus we have a solar pool pump and solar heating for the pool but we still use about €1500 heating oil over the winter.
Jim
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Jim B wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:32 am We have a 5Kw system plus we have a solar pool pump and solar heating for the pool but we still use about €1500 heating oil over the winter.
Jim
Is this the pool pump GreenAir was installing in 2011 at your place and still doing a good job ? If it is, you are for sure happy how much electricity costs you saved in the meantime...

Max
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

It is Max; we've had one broken impeller over the eight plus years we've had it. Worth every cent..

Jim
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Jim B wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:32 am We have a 5Kw system plus we have a solar pool pump and solar heating for the pool but we still use about €1500 heating oil over the winter.
Jim
That seems high, but then I don't know what size house you have, how warm you like it, how insulated it is, or your location. All these factors make a difference.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

If the 5Kw system is insufficient for our needs, we have been told further panels can be installed at a later date.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Anarita John wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:56 pm If the 5Kw system is insufficient for our needs, we have been told further panels can be installed at a later date.
That's not always possible. I wanted to enlarge my 4kWp system and was told the EAC wouldn't allow it.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

EAC used to limit. Max will know best now