tricky question?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
hamski

tricky question?

Post by hamski »

To the best of your knowledge ,which residential areas in and around Paphos have the FEWEST
holiday villas, apartment complexes with pool, retiree residences, and yet are
not too isolated (by being in a village, for example) ? Perhaps where many Cypriot families choose to live.

Feel free to chide me for the naivety of the question!

Specific areas most welcome
emgee

Re: tricky question?

Post by emgee »

In last place is our wonderful village of PEGEIA.

We have almost everything here for a wonderful life.
'000s of us can't be rong.

Alan

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
darrow

Post by darrow »

If you are asking because of reports of crime in areas with high density holiday villas, then there is no area completely free or safe from crime, but I have to say Tremithousa is mostly a typical village with plenty of Cypriots and it is a case of being vigilante and sensible. Most burglars are looking for easy pickings! Tremithousa is a few minutes off the main Mesogi avenue and pretty central in some respects. Not far from shops, or hospital. 10 mins to town centre. Not a lot of nightlife, if that's what you like though! You pay your money, you make your choice! Suits us!
hamski

Post by hamski »

Thanks, Darrow. Interesting to know.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Yes Tremithousa is like darrow said above,no tourists,little nite life ( just a cople of bars ),crimes very rare, still a slight majority of Cypriots,a few minutes walk to shops and a supermarket.The downside is you may have difficulty find propery there.Mesogi is not to bad either..Good luck
hamski

Post by hamski »

thanks a lot, chaddy
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

Armou is on the outskirts of Paphos which has a mix Community but predominantly Cypriot, due to its altitude it’s above the humidity line .......Care is required when buying as there are areas with land movements
hamski

Post by hamski »

Thank you
stroumbipete

Post by stroumbipete »

Stroumbi,has a good mix but more cypriot, amenities bank, petrol stn, car repairs, two supermarkets, one with butchery, tavernas, school, police and fire stn. halfway polis /paphos, pretty quiet, locals friendly, lived here 8 years in the original stroumbi, (above the village) above humidity level, don't know of any holiday villas.
josef k

Post by josef k »

To answer your question, I would say the area of Paphos town on either side of "Polis Road" would fit the bill. No Brits, no tourists, no holiday villas, no pools. Just Cypriots (and a few others) mainly in Cypriot-style bungalows on residential streets.
Banks, pharmacists, veg markets, supermarkets, takeaways, all on the doorstep.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

This is research you really need to do yourself. It is so subjective, each person's idea of "local" will be different.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Tremithousa certainly ticked all the boxes for us.. One of the main ones was being above the general humidity line
Trev..
hamski

Post by hamski »

Thanks to all posters. Very useful, everyone.

Dominic : not really. You can't cover the whole area when you initially look
for a place to rent. You must necessarily limit . That's why these sites are so useful.
Look at how specific and on point many posters have been.

The old saw of it being subjective is fine when you have a year to slowly look round.
Lazydaze52

Post by Lazydaze52 »

Have a drive out our way (Mandria). Our village is maybe not what you’re looking for as we do get a number of holiday visitors in summer, plus side of that is we have about six taverna or restaurants to choose from. But there are other nearby villages which might suit ie Timi, Anarita, Achelia (apologies if I’ve spelt that wrong!) Further on towards Secret Valley there is also Kouklia.

Journey time from here into Paphos is only about 10 minutes. From Paphos just follow the signs for the airport until you get onto the B6, All the places I’ve mentioned are off that road.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

hamski wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:57 pm Thanks to all posters. Very useful, everyone.

Dominic : not really. You can't cover the whole area when you initially look
for a place to rent. You must necessarily limit . That's why these sites are so useful.
Look at how specific and on point many posters have been.

The old saw of it being subjective is fine when you have a year to slowly look round.
It doesn't take a year to look around. You could cover the entire region of Paphos in under a week, much less than that if you do some filtering.

I'm not saying don't ask. But do your own research as well. When we moved here we had already decided what sort of place we wanted, and had a number of potential properties, all over the region, from Pissouri to Peyia, and as far north as Droushia. We rented an apartment in the centre of Paphos for two months, while we checked out all the properties we were interested in. Some areas we liked, others we didn't. I won't list them here because one person's paradise is another person's nightmare, and vice verca.

Anyway, we found a property and were able to buy it with time to spare. Had we not found a property we would have continued to rent.

My point is, we did a LOT of planning beforehand, re properties etc, but most of that was left by the wayside when we were actually here and could visit the places.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
hamski

Post by hamski »

My questions are part of the planning.

Thanks for your detailed explanations; very nice of you
hamski

Post by hamski »

LazyDaze -- thank you.

I'll be sure to check out that area
JimX

Post by JimX »

Trev you moved to Tremithousa?
Jim.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Don't know why, but this thread reminds me of the 'homes in the Sun TV show' we all know the ending. :lol:
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Hamski,
We don’t know how long you are thinking of coming here for or whether you are planning to rent or to buy. Bur if you follow Dominic’s advice you won’t go far wrong. The way many people do it is to initially rent an apartment somewhere in Paphos for anything up to 6 months. In that time you can look at all areas at leisure and decide which area or village will suit you. It’s impossible to suggest what area you will prefer. They are all different.
But, if you come to Paphos it is the part of Cyprus which is home to the largest number of Brits. It is also a mecca for tourists from many parts of the world.It is probably the most Anglicised with shops, supermarkets, bars , restaurants and nightlife which is geared to tourists in the season and sustained by expats and locals in the off season. Though many places shut from Jan-March.
Limassol is a working town on the south coast with plenty of Cypriots and residents of many nationalities. It has all facilities. It has villages outside the town and is close to the Troodos Mtns.
The point of all this is that you realky need to come here and explore it first and not rush in order to find the place that you want to call home!
Dee