Spate of burglaries In Pahos & Peyia

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
hamski

Spate of burglaries In Pahos & Peyia

Post by hamski »

In recent years, there seems to be an increase in the number of burglaries in and around
Paphos and Peyia. Do you think the police can stop it, or is it set to escalate?
WHL

Re: Spate of burglaries In Pahos & Peyia

Post by WHL »

hamski wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:22 pm In recent years, there seems to be an increase in the number of burglaries in and around
Paphos and Peyia. Do you think the police can stop it, or is it set to escalate?
The Police need help, if you see anything suspicious report it, no matter how trivial.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

There were 4 in Kamares over the past week too
hamski

Post by hamski »

According to the Cyprus Mail, police have raided some suspects' houses
and found weapons -- guns, rifles -- and have linked some burglaries
to East European gangs.

From what I've read, LImassol with its greater wealth concentration, has it even worse.

It also seems the police are under-funded and therefore under-staffed.

So many things to like about Paphos, but for some people thinking of relocating,
this could be a deal-breaker.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Surely it cannot be as bad as the Uk and other European countries? Still one of the safest places to live in my opinion.
All things are possible
smudger

Post by smudger »

Agree Lincoln. I've always felt much safer here than in the UK, particularly with the spate of stabbings and shootings in the UK.
memory man

Post by memory man »

hamski wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:35 pm According to the Cyprus Mail, police have raided some suspects' houses
and found weapons -- guns, rifles -- and have linked some burglaries
to East European gangs.

From what I've read, LImassol with its greater wealth concentration, has it even worse.

It also seems the police are under-funded and therefore under-staffed.

So many things to like about Paphos, but for some people thinking of relocating,
this could be a deal-breaker.

Do you have a link to this info hamski?
hamski

Post by hamski »

This seems to be the issue to me :

I would say that you can't compare countries.
That's because it really matters most,
on a day-to-day basis, the security level of the street that you live in.
I used to live in Leicester : it had very expensive areas where doctors lived in big houses with tennis courts, and no crime,
and then there were deprived council estates, with lots of violent and petty crime.

It is down to your specific location. There was a recent case in Peyia where the burglars broke into one home,
then went opposite to break into another.
memory man

Post by memory man »

WOW!
Thanks.
That's scary.
hamski wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:30 pm There was a recent case in Peyia where the burglars broke into one home,
then went opposite to break into another.
I cant seem to find this in the Cyp Mail. :(
Last edited by memory man on Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hamski

Post by hamski »

Memory Man :
Bear in mind that I don't lve on Cyprus yet; I'm still researching. I'm just reading the news as posted;
of course, Paphos/Peyia residents have a much better sense than I of what is happening.
That's why I wanted others' input.

It;s hard to know things well in life.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

There is more crime in Cyprus than when I first arrived nearly 20 yrs ago. In that time as in UK and most other countries things don’t stand still. Cyprus is drawing people to live here from all over the world. Even now crime figures are much lower here than in many other countries. It is very important to make your home, house or apartment as secure as possible. Good locks on windows and doors are necessary. Many people are installing a burglar alarm. It’s best to have this monitored 24 hrs. Many use a security co who are able to monitor their customers alarms wirelessly from their control rooms. Its also worth installing an in house safe for safe custody of important papers, money and travel docs. If you do these things your home will be harder to break into plus any intending thief will probably pass by to a property which isn’t protected.
The risk of a personal attack here is virtually negligible. I feel much safer here than I would in the UK.
Dee
hamski

Post by hamski »

Thanks, Dee.
You've been in Cyprus for quite a while, so much appreciated!

Memory Man : your own article posted on this site (crime & tourist season) includes a bit on burglaries
on the same street, several doors down
Lazydaze52

Post by Lazydaze52 »

Would disagree with Kili01 on having a safe. According to the police who attended after our burglary one of the main things burglars are looking for is a safe expecting it to have all your valuables inside. Ours was bolted in but they managed to get the whole thing out causing quite a bit of damage in the process.
hamski

Post by hamski »

Lazydaze,

If you don't mind me asking, where were you living at the time?
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

When came here nearly 13 years ago Peyia was a hot spot for burglaries even back then.
David
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Up until we left Cyprus after 12 years of living on the outskirts (about 12km) of Limassol in 2016, the only door which was ever locked at any time, day or night was the front door - and that's because it had a Yale lock so shut and locked itself automatically.

All our other doors were key locks and we would go out in the daytime and evening leaving the side door to the kitchen unlocked and wide open so our two dogs could go outside into the yard if they wanted. Often they would lie outside as it cooled down of an evening or to go in the sun in the winter months to warm up.

We were the only "foreigners" on our street, all the other residents were local born and bred families.

Friends who have also returned to UK just a few months ago reported to me prior to them putting the house on the market how worried they were about the increase in crime where they were living and several houses had been burgled in the area. They lived 2 villages from us - about 5 minutes drive from our home in Cyprus.

It sounds like things have changed quite considerably over the last few years :-(
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

I think crime in general has been on the increase over the last 8/10 years but appears to have escalated in the last 4 years
The ex-Pat areas are rich pickings for these criminals as they know it’s a mix of permanent/holidays homes/rentals living in a village there appears a less chance of a burglary.
We have to ensure at whatever location we live our properties are as secure as possible ......,..a sad reality of the times we live in. ☹️
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

It has changed dramatically since we moved here 16 years ago. Back then we never locked a door or window in the summer. We went into town and left the house open, seems crazy when I think about it. Now we have extra window locks, snap proof door lock, monitored burglar alarm and security lights. Crime here is still much lower than other countries, cold comfort to those affected but still it could be much worse.
hamski

Post by hamski »

Thanks, Jim.

What's causing the increase?