MPs use House Brexit debate to push ouster of British bases

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Re: MPs use House Brexit debate to push ouster of British bases

Post by WHL »

Varky wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:15 am JimB,

Your link takes one to an article by Darren Loucaides. On the face of it hardly what one could consider as an independent source. In fact some of the statements might not be correct, e.g. about joining NATO when one considers the present situation regarding Turkey and when you consider that Cyprus was quite happy to join the EU, another Western European organisation. Notwithstanding this it doesn't go anywhere to justifying WHL statement that Cyprus had its spherical objects 'squeezed'.

WHL,
Really is that the best you can do? I did not quote Wikipedia, I only read it to see if there was any confirmation of your statement and there wasn't. If there was confirmation then I might have stated that Wikipedia is not always 100% correct ;) .
You really should try to read more carefully, before replying to the wrong person.
Varky

Post by Varky »

WHL wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:57 am You really should try to read more carefully, before replying to the wrong person.
Now corrected..........Happy?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Varky wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:03 pm
WHL wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:57 am You really should try to read more carefully, before replying to the wrong person.
Now corrected..........Happy?
Happy ? why would I be happy, because you corrected your mistake?
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Varky - not a situation where “best you can do” is relevant. I was simply warning that Wikipedia isn’t failsafe, but wasn’t in the argument to try to find sources.... I think most of us know Britain coerced Cyprus into the SBAs. It may have partly suited Cyprus at the time - Independence comes in many forms and Cypriots may have assumed that partial now was better than years of trying to psh the UK out - especially when Britain was hardly renowned for supportive divorces! Britannia has always acted the woman scorned!
Last edited by Jimgward on Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Varky
Read the books; history is always a viewpoint generally from the victors and trying to get an unbiased opinion on Cyprus is next to impossible. The British Governer at the time stated Britain would never relinquish Cyprus, you can confirm that in the Cyprus Conspiracy. I would agree with WHL in that the options given to Cyprus on independece were limited: give part of their territory to the UK and the majority had to agree to share equal power and veto's by a minority group (19% of the population).

Jim