MPs use House Brexit debate to push ouster of British bases

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

MPs use House Brexit debate to push ouster of British bases

Post by Paphos Life »

THE majority of opposition parties on Friday called for taking advantage of Brexit and the UN General Assembly decision asking Britain to give up control over the Chagos Islands in the Indian Ocean, in connection with the status of the British bases in Cyprus.The issue was discussed at the House plenum on the suggestion of Diko's parliamentary spokesman Panicos Leonidou....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Jimgward

Re: MPs use House Brexit debate to push ouster of British bases

Post by Jimgward »

I think Britain has to make a statement about the bases and the issue of free movement, never mind leasing them for a proper fee
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

IMHO, there is nothing in common between Chagos and Cyprus. The feeble thinking of CY politicians comes out to the fore every now and again, this being a non sequitur example, especially as the UK has said many times that it will maintain its strategic bases here. The sound bites of the island's lower IQ MPs are just noise.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Exactly Devil. This ugly head often appears and then gets blown away.
All things are possible
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yes, but it is their island, after all. There is that.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Yes, but they agreed that the UK could keep the Sovereign Bases when the rest of the Island was handed over to Cypriot rule.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

PW in Polemi wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:45 pm Yes, but they agreed that the UK could keep the Sovereign Bases when the rest of the Island was handed over to Cypriot rule.
I don't think the ROC had much say in the matter; a question of take it or leave it.

Jim
Varky

Post by Varky »

Jim B wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:53 pm
PW in Polemi wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:45 pm Yes, but they agreed that the UK could keep the Sovereign Bases when the rest of the Island was handed over to Cypriot rule.
I don't think the ROC had much say in the matter; a question of take it or leave it.
Jim
I didn't know that you were present at the negotiations at the time?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Its funny what you will agree to, when someone is squeezing your balls
WHL

Post by WHL »

Varky wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:17 pm
Jim
Its well documented what was said at the negotiations.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Devil wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:57 pm IMHO, there is nothing in common between Chagos and Cyprus. The feeble thinking of CY politicians comes out to the fore every now and again, this being a non sequitur example, especially as the UK has said many times that it will maintain its strategic bases here. The sound bites of the island's lower IQ MPs are just noise.
The Chagos has set a president, I don't think the Cypriots will do anything against the SBAs at present, they have enough on their plates re the Turkish occupation but who knows what will happen in the future,
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Varky wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:17 pm
Jim
As WHL wrote, it's all a matter of record if you care to read up it.

Jim
Varky

Post by Varky »

Jim B wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:13 pm As WHL wrote, it's all a matter of record if you care to read up it.
Jim
So you were both there?
Well documented? Give me a link!
WHL

Post by WHL »

Varky wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:51 pm
Jim B wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:13 pm As WHL wrote, it's all a matter of record if you care to read up it.
Jim
So you were both there?
Google get someone to show you how if its to difficult for you
Varky

Post by Varky »

WHL wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:54 pm
Varky wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:51 pm
Jim
So you were both there?
Google get someone to show you how if its to difficult for you
Googling is not the problem. Obviously you don't know the link, which is the weakness of your patronising post. By the way just to be clear, I am not denying that the discussions took place it was the squeezing of the spherical objects that I was querying.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Take a look on the Wikipedia page for Akrotiri and Dhekelia - the relevant information is there, under the heading of "Governance"
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Varky

Post by Varky »

PhotoLady wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:53 pm Take a look on the Wikipedia page for Akrotiri and Dhekelia - the relevant information is there, under the heading of "Governance"
Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the information which is more than other posters were capable of doing. However nowhere in the Wikipedia page does it infer that the Cypriot side of the negotiations had no alternative but to agree to what the UK wanted. This was the point of my discussions with WHL. In fact if you read the Wikipedia pages it was the Cypriot side that was imposing a lot of conditions.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

All should remember that anyone can edit Wikipedia..... it is never 100% factual
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Varky
Try reading "The Cyprus Conspiracy" by Brendan O'Mally and Ian Craig; you can buy it on Amazon.
The British were going to hang on to the SBA's at the time, come what may.
You could also try reading "Glfkos Clerides, The Path of a Country" by Niyazi Kizilyurek; also available on Amazon.
No country would negotiate away it's territory unless they were pressurised into doing so, I would suggest they never negotiated away the SBA's out of the goodness of their hearts.

The link below gives a UK and USA view on the SBA's.

Jim

https://newint.org/features/2017/05/01/ ... the-middle
Varky

Post by Varky »

JimB,

Your link takes one to an article by Darren Loucaides. On the face of it hardly what one could consider as an independent source. In fact some of the statements might not be correct, e.g. about joining NATO when one considers the present situation regarding Turkey and when you consider that Cyprus was quite happy to join the EU, another Western European organisation. Notwithstanding this it doesn't go anywhere to justifying WHL statement that Cyprus had its spherical objects 'squeezed'.

JimgWard
Really is that the best you can do? I did not quote Wikipedia, I only read it to see if there was any confirmation of your statement and there wasn't. If there was confirmation then I might have stated that Wikipedia is not always 100% correct ;) .
Last edited by Varky on Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.