Tourism season means increased crime

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Tourism season means increased crime

Post by memory man »

Paphos police are issuing a stark warning to tourists: don’t bring expensive jewellery with you; use cards not cash, and keep your passport with you at all times.

The warning is in response to the rise in burglaries and thefts as the summer tourist season gets underway.

Police and local authorities say that Peyia – a popular destination and home to a vast number of holiday villas and apartments – is a particular target.

READ FULL STORY HERE
trevnhil

Re: Tourism season means increased crime

Post by trevnhil »

It must be difficult for holiday makers to protect their valuable items, including jewellery, phone and passport... If you keep them with you, what do you do with them when you go swimming from the beach ??
Trev..
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:45 am It must be difficult for holiday makers to protect their valuable items, including jewellery, phone and passport... If you keep them with you, what do you do with them when you go swimming from the beach ??
One should stay with your items, while to other(s) go for a swim.
Louise :)
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

The advise used to be keep all valuables in the safe, but many rentals don’t have a safe ! .......... sometimes common sense is left on the doorstep at home and never travels to the holiday destination 🥺
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yioula, you are right!
Holiday makers and particularly those renting accommodation should take care of their possessions. Always make sure all windows are properly secure and all external doors are locked, before leaving the property, especially in the evening. Don’t forget to include bathroom windows!
Either leave valuables in a securely locked suitcase, or take them with you. Don’t leave cash in the house, mobile phones and jewelry lying about where they can be seen.
Take all the same precautions as you would take when at home in your country,
Dee
smudger

Post by smudger »

Surely better to leave the valuables at home in the bank vault?? Simply bring credit/debit cards on holiday.? Is that too simple?
hamski

Post by hamski »

Most would still bring a cellphone, tablet.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

It is good to raise all these points here. However how many Holidaymakers read this forum whilst out having a great holiday? It would be good if landlords left a notice available in the property with warnings and advice.
All things are possible
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

I have in the past hid my cash and stuff under the inside of the washing machine or in the freezer in a fish finger box. But hey you pick things up when you live in Salford :lol:
WHL

Post by WHL »

Most people leave their brains at home when they go on holiday, me included, I was in Rome recently, and having a drink at an outside cafe, the wife went into a neighbouring souvenir shop, I was facetiming my daughter, and the reception wasn't very good so I went inside into the cafe where the internet was better, after coming back out side , I see our tablet, and bum bag with cash and cards on the table, people walking by, man was i lucky that day.