Electricity prices to rise by more than 5% in June

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Electricity prices to rise by more than 5% in June

Post by memory man »

Household consumers will see an increase of more than 5% in their June electricity bills, according to the Electricity Authority of Cyprus (EAC).

According to EAC spokeswoman Christina Papadopoulou, the increase is due to a rise a in global oil prices.

She said that EAC must keep fuel reserves for three months. Authorities check the average cost of fuel every month, she added.

https://in-cyprus.com/electricity-price ... -june-eac/
WHL

Re: Electricity prices to rise by more than 5% in June

Post by WHL »

Flossie wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:53 pm Greedy bar stewards cashing in on the warmer weather and increase in demand for air conditioning!!! The sooner the new power station is open and there is competition to supply the power the better for all!
Dont hold your breath :lol:
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Oil prices have come Down in recent weeks hence the drop in Petrol and Diesel fuel prices..
Trev..
Varky

Post by Varky »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:22 pm Oil prices have come Down in recent weeks hence the drop in Petrol and Diesel fuel prices..
You and HiC should get together and decide whether oil prices have gone up or down!
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Just got a e-mail from EAC with my latest bill and it is as it was in previous periods 19.82 Euro+VAT for the 2 month, thanks to my small PV system I installed one year ago. It just confirms that I did the right decision to invest some money to produce my own electricity on the roof...and many people with the space for the panels are as happy as I am..

Max
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I am certainly happy that we installed PV panels on our roof. We are producing around 18 to 19kwh on a clear day
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

Flossie wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:13 pm I am not as pessimistic as you - if you were living here when the only telecoms comany was Cyta then you'll remember how the prices improved once competition was allowed!
I have lived here for over thirty years thanks, let us know when the new power station has been build, and running cheers
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Producing on average 30kwh per day - over 800 per month and climbing
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

But one has to assume you are on more than the average number of panels, ie more than a 3kw system ;-)
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

When I was living in Kamares I had a 3kwh system installed, which caused an immediate drop in my electricity charges thereafter. Since I moved house to be closer to Paphos, I no longer have PV panels. Yes, even though I now have a much smaller house, without a PV system, I was surprised how much my elec bill is now! Am even considering installing PV here, if there is enough space to do this.

Dee
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:25 am When I was living in Kamares I had a 3kwh system installed, which caused an immediate drop in my electricity charges thereafter. Since I moved house to be closer to Paphos, I no longer have PV panels. Yes, even though I now have a much smaller house, without a PV system, I was surprised how much my elec bill is now! Am even considering installing PV here, if there is enough space to do this.

Dee
If you have not enough space for a 3 kWp system you can also install a smaller system for less investment. I have for example a 2 kWp installation which gives me daily 12-13 kWh per day at the moment. (7-8 panels only)

Max
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Max,
I didn’t know about this. Could you give me a rough idea of overall costs for a smaller system
As well as a suggestion of which company to provide it. My previous installer was Larnaca based.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Dee
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:50 am Max,
I didn’t know about this. Could you give me a rough idea of overall costs for a smaller system
As well as a suggestion of which company to provide it. My previous installer was Larnaca based.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Dee

I would of course recommend GreenAir Paphos, as I have a very close relationship with them. You find their contact details on the banner advertising here on PL. To get the best price they have to see your place. You can phone Mr. Andreas or Mrs. Lina at 26 941 555 to get more details. Of course they do all the paperwork for you as well...

Max
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Thanks for this info Max. I am living on a complex now, albeit with my own roof space. I wonder if anyone on a complex has done this before?

Dee
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

trevnhil wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:30 am But one has to assume you are on more than the average number of panels, ie more than a 3kw system ;-)
Yes Trev, we have a 5kw system.
memory man

Post by memory man »

June and July electricity bills to be up to 11% more expensive than last summer

Electricity bills in June and July are expected to be between 5%-11% more expensive than the same period last year, philenews reports.

It said that the increase is attributable to a rise in fuel prices and the use of air-conditioners.

Specifically, the surcharge on each kWh resulting from the rise in fuel prices has increased by 80% per kWh compared to June and July of 2018 and by 33% compared to last May.

The fuel price surcharge in June and July 2018 was 2.30 cents per kWh, 3.19 cents last May and now it amounts to 4.14 cents per kWh.

A kWh of electricity now costs 14.60 cents while in June and July of 2018 it costed 11.76 cents and 12.66 cents in last May.

The final increase, considering other surcharges will be around 5%-11% on each bill.

This means that:

A household with low consumption (417 kWh) will now pay a bill of €96.92 compared to €87.5 last year and €92.44 in the past two months.
A household with average consumption (800 kWh) will now pay a bill of €179.70 compared to €161.60 last year and €170.64 in the past two months.
A household with high consumption (1200 kWh) will now pay a bill of €266.07, compared to €238.90 last year and €252.55 in the past two months.

https://in-cyprus.com/june-and-july-ele ... st-summer/
jeba

Post by jeba »

Varky wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:53 pm
trevnhil wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:22 pm Oil prices have come Down in recent weeks hence the drop in Petrol and Diesel fuel prices..
You and HiC should get together and decide whether oil prices have gone up or down!
If they can´t agree they might check on https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/BZ%3DF?p=BZ%3DF
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

memory man wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:21 am June and July electricity bills to be up to 11% more expensive than last summer

Electricity bills in June and July are expected to be between 5%-11% more expensive than the same period last year, philenews reports.

A kWh of electricity now costs 14.60 cents while in June and July of 2018 it costed 11.76 cents and 12.66 cents in last May.

https://in-cyprus.com/june-and-july-ele ... st-summer/
I wonder why these articles from the local press concerning electricity prices, always take us for an idiot, telling the price of one unit is only 14.60 cent, when in reality it is between 24 and 28 cent per kWh, depending on your consumption figures. If one reads the article three times you will not come to the same result.... :roll:

Max
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:56 am
I wonder why these articles from the local press concerning electricity prices, always take us for an idiot, telling the price of one unit is only 14.60 cent, when in reality it is between 24 and 28 cent per kWh, depending on your consumption figures. If one reads the article three times you will not come to the same result.... :roll:

Max
Could it be because they are quoting the price charged per unit consumed, without factoring in all the ancillary expenses such as meter rental, meter reading, etc etc.

Last time I checked my usage versus generation, I was using an average of 5 units per day, and generating a net average of 15, with a 3Kwh photovoltaic net metering system set up by AndiSolartec.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Flossie wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:18 am To strengthen my earlier post that was met with scornful derisory remarks here is the story about the new power station that will hopefully signal the end of the AIK monopoly extortionate prices!

https://cyprus-mail.com/2019/02/16/priv ... gy-sector/
Thanks for that Flossie.
Why does the 'I'm alright Jack' panel brigade feel the need to smugly hijack any thread to do with EAC electricity prices?
David