Dangerous Tala complex may be demolished sooner than court ruling provides

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Dangerous Tala complex may be demolished sooner than court ruling provides

Post by Paphos Life »

FOLLOWING a Supreme Court decision ordering the developer of an abandoned and structurally dangerous residential complex that is sliding down a hillside in Tala, to demolish within 60, the Paphos District Office is seeking clarification and the green light from the state legal service for a way to bring it down sooner....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Mrblobby

Re: Dangerous Tala complex may be demolished sooner than court ruling provides

Post by Mrblobby »

Good news for us on Kamares , not happy with the back road in to our estate .
smudger

Post by smudger »

Suspect those with homes sliding down the hillside may be a lot less happy than you Mr B.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

This case is different in that it is an essential road that is being affected by the land sliding and the buildings about to fall on to the road way below. This road not only serves the residents at Kamares, but also links the villages of Tala with Koili.

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

This bit I find bemusing:

"Tremetoushiotis Developers Ltd were responsible for the construction of the development, but have said that they would never have gone ahead with construction, which includes 12 apartments and two detached houses, if they had been aware that the land was ‘problematic’ to build on."

Isn't it their duty to find out about the land before attempting to build on it?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

smudger wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:52 pm Suspect those with homes sliding down the hillside may be a lot less happy than you Mr B.
I think you are confusing this problem with that at Pissouri .
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Dominic wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:17 pm Isn't it their duty to find out about the land before attempting to build on it?
Apparently they did Dom, all of the necessary check and permits etc were checked and approved by the main Paphos dept and subsequently Tala municipality. This has been the root of the arguments around the demolition costs.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Shouldn't there be a compulsory soil investigation/survey for anyone wanting to put a large construction on the very edge of a hill?

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

I've lived in Kamares for 25 years, and until a few years ago, there used to be a gully near the building which overflowed across the road in the rainy season. Surely that should have rung alarm bells somewhere before the go-ahead for building was given.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, of course it should, as far as I know the developer was a local man.The story I heard ages ago was that he had actually done this planning deal through the Nicosia Govt offices, plus both Paphos and Tala councils claimed that they hadn’t been asked/or even seen the plans to approve this development. But this was hearsay at the time,

DavidatLWH is quite right in what he said, that hill is both steep and has areas of loose scree and boulders, when it rained in winter water ran down the slopes in several places and flooded the Kamares entrance road before finally disappearing over the side of the adjacent ravine.

Dee

Dee