Mayor of Paphos locks horns with Unesco over new Paphos jetty

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Mayor of Paphos locks horns with Unesco over new Paphos jetty

Post by Paphos Life »

The mayor of Paphos has vowed to plough ahead with plans to construct a new jetty close to the castle at Paphos harbour that would allow cruise ships to dock there, despite protests from the Unesco office in Cyprus....

Read the article and chat about it below...
mike strand2

Re: Mayor of Paphos locks horns with Unesco over new Paphos jetty

Post by mike strand2 »

:shock: Mr mayor knowing best again! When will there be decent democracy here? Has he asked the citizens what they think? :roll:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

What is your beef with the Mayor? He is elected for God's sake. Your remark is just ridiculous.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Dominic wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:25 pm What is your beef with the Mayor? He is elected for God's sake. Your remark is just ridiculous.
Have I hit a raw nerve Dominic?

Just because he is mayor doesn't mean he can just do what he pleases, which does appear to be that way at the present time!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

No you haven't hit a raw nerve. You are just talking nonsense.

You were moaning about the lack of democracy with respect to somebody who gets elected. Just how is that undemocratic?
chatsworth

Post by chatsworth »

I can understand both parties in this dispute. On one hand the Mayor has always regarded his role is to improve the appearance of Paphos and to attract business into the area in an attempt to compete with other major cities on the island but Unesco are concerned that a large influx of tourists from these vessels will bring chaos and damage to the environment. Many European cities are becoming increasingly concerned that local cultures, infrastructures and the well being of the local population are being harmed as more and more tourists pour into their historic and beautiful areas. The reports surrounding the cruise ship that has crashed into a harbour in Venice seems to underline these concerns. I personally feel that Paphos has more than enough visitors now.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Perhaps the president had the right idea in saying that it might be incorporated into the marina? I think that's what he said anyway.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:59 pm Perhaps the president had the right idea in saying that it might be incorporated into the marina? I think that's what he said anyway.
That idea, incorporating the pier for large cruise ships into the marina project was already the opinion of the Mayor as well, not only of our president...
It looks like the press got it wrong, as with many things...
I had a long conversation after that evening with the Deputy Mayor about it and he confirmed that there is no way that cruise ships, 20 times the size of the castle would anchor near the building.

Max
WHL

Post by WHL »

Attracting cruise ships is a great idea, jobs, money coming into the economy etc etc, but as there is a cruise terminal, already at Limassol, only half an hour away, I cant see this ever happening in Paphos.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

WHL wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:03 am Attracting cruise ships is a great idea, jobs, money coming into the economy etc etc, but as there is a cruise terminal, already at Limassol, only half an hour away, I cant see this ever happening in Paphos.
Cruise ships already moor outside Paphos Port but they ferry them to shore in tenders, this is just to enable them to walk to shore.
Kili01

Re: Mayor of Paphos locks horns with Unesco over new Paphos jettt

Post by Kili01 »

What no one has mentioned so far is that the sea off the coast near the archaeological site , and the sea area all around the harbour are part of a major world heritage UNESCO archaeological site which also includes the Roman villas, the famous mosaics, the castle and all the adjacent ruins. It is run by the Antiquities Dept of the Govt. it works with UNESCO to preserve the site. The seas around here and the old Roman harbour are also a part of this site. Which may be excavated carefully at a later date.
Because of this, major development whether on land or sea is banned.
As someone has said there is no need to risk destroying something which is the main reason these tourists want to visit Paphos in the first place.
Cruise ships can and do anchor off shore and tender passengers in.Alternatively, most cruise ships will dock in Linassol where a brand new cruise terminal was recently built. There cruise passengers who want to visit Paphos are bussed over. This seems to have worked pretty well over time. This method doesn’t damage any anncient ruins.

To me it seems that Paphos has plenty of tourists. Why does this mayor want to cover everything in concrete and destroy willy nilly what was there before regardless?
Dee
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

This is what I call gigantic. In the meantime these huge liners are not allowed (>100.000 GRT) in Venice to anchor anymore until the new pier outside town is ready (3 years), however the smaller 50.000 GRT will still be allowed in future in the canals.

Everybody knows that Cyprus is very rich in antiquities, also Paphos. As the locals are not that interested but foreigners are, they must be able to visit these places (Paphos mosaics) in a relatively short transfer time and not travel on a boring highway from Limassol to Paphos and waste hours with it.
Cyprus dependence on quality tourists is obvious as there is no other large revenue (halloumi? :lol: )and to attract people which pay 3000-25000 Euro for their cruise to visit again Paphos, it has to be easy and comfortable. All the efforts from the Mayor to change the rundown image of Paphos into a nice place is not for the locals only, but for the future generations to have a good income. For the same reason the Mayor is also pushing the "smart city Paphos" which goes in the same direction. I am very glad (and I am not alone) that this Mayor achieved so much so far....

Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

WHL wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:03 am Attracting cruise ships is a great idea, jobs, money coming into the economy etc etc, but as there is a cruise terminal, already at Limassol, only half an hour away, I cant see this ever happening in Paphos.
Well, this photo (screen shot German TV yesterday) from Piazza San Marco in Venice, shows how this lovely area should NOT look.That's why the idea from the Paphos Municipality is to include a pier for large cruise liners in their new Marina project at Chloraka, which suppose to happen soon (relatively, we are in Cyprus!)

Max
WHL

Post by WHL »

Only this week in Venice
GreenArmy12

Post by GreenArmy12 »

Paphos and the surrounding area would surely benefit greatly from these short stay visitors from cruise ships. There may be plenty of tourists around but they are mainly in their all inclusive hotels, and their presence only benefits the likes of TUI, not the many local restaurants and bars etc.,,Got to be a good thing, but must be done properly and with care.
boycott

Post by boycott »

Don't you think that Paphos is getting ideas above their station - How can you compare places like Venice to what Paphos has to offer? Like it or not Paphos has a few very small relics to show and does not have a vibrant centre to eat/drink and visit.
WHL

Post by WHL »

boycott wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:13 pm Don't you think that Paphos is getting ideas above their station - How can you compare places like Venice to what Paphos has to offer? Like it or not Paphos has a few very small relics to show and does not have a vibrant centre to eat/drink and visit.
I do many cruises all over the World, and there's plenty of time to take people up to the mountains and back, Limassol etc etc excursions are not restricted to the port you stop at. as for no vibrant center to eat or drink, trust me when you get of a ship, the last thing on your mind is were to eat.
boycott

Post by boycott »

Go on then HIC, go spend millions of public money that Paphos doesn't have and see if and when you get that investment back.

In the real real world do you really think that Paphos and Cyprus really is serious competition to such places as Venice, South of France, Athens, etc.
Look at the new marina at Limassol, is it used or just a way for Russian's to invest some dubious money in exchange for an EU passport, is the marina used for what it was built for? Are the luxury properties there lived in?
Is the marina at St Raphael used? You cannot even walk around the marina there and the greater majority of boats there never leave the facility.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

boycott wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:13 pm Don't you think that Paphos is getting ideas above their station - How can you compare places like Venice to what Paphos has to offer? Like it or not Paphos has a few very small relics to show and does not have a vibrant centre to eat/drink and visit.
I really cannot see that I compared Venice to Paphos in my 3 different posts above. With my pics I showed examples how ugly it would look if a large cruise liner would anchor behind p.e. the Paphos castle. Nothing more.

I would recommend that you visit Paphos in the future to find out which "relics" one can find here.

But if you want I try to compare what one can discover in Venice or in Paphos. Historically, Paphos and it's West is much older and you can visit excavations from Chalcolithic (Lemba) period
or "Maa" nearby where the first Mycenaean Greeks arrived not to forget the ancient places at Ayios Georgios harbour. In Paphos itself the mosaics, Tombs of the Kings, and countless more excavations in Kato Paphos. Older than that is Palae Paphos at Kouklia and the nearby excavations... etc..

On the other hand is Venice nice to visit in late autumn or spring, as it is built in the laguna, on water, unique this size in the world and has nice buildings and churches (St.Mark's Basilica, Doge's Palace, Rialto Bridge.) Yes, it is all vibrant, not only the center, and one has to share the place with another 60.000 !! visitors daily. It is very difficult to find some decent places to eat as it is all touristic and if you dare to drink your espresso at the St. Mark's square you pay 25 Euro (including music) Of course you can enjoy a little ride with one of the gondola's for 500 Euro to find even more smellier places in smaller channels than it is normally. Sometimes in hot summer when the weather changes you cannot breathe in the smaller side roads...but that is no wonder as up to 30 million visitors arriving per year.

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I grew up in a house whose garden backed on to the Basingstoke Canel, back before they cleaned it out. In the summertime that stank to high heaven. Didn't stop us playing in it but if Mum caught us we'd get a right telling off.