Two dogs per house limit, stiffer penalties under proposed new dog law

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Two dogs per house limit, stiffer penalties under proposed new dog law

Post by Paphos Life »

A proposed new dog law would limit the number of dogs that an owner can have at home to two (one for apartments) and prohibit keeping them on balconies.Irresponsible dog owners who do not pick up after their dogs will liable to a fine of €300. A similar fine will be imposed if owners allow their dogs to circulate in public areas off the leash....

Read the article and chat about it below...
WHL

Re: Two dogs per house limit, stiffer penalties under proposed new dog law

Post by WHL »

Paphos Life wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 1:44 pm A proposed new dog law would limit the number of dogs that an owner can have at home to two (one for apartments) and prohibit keeping them on balconies.Irresponsible dog owners who do not pick up after their dogs will liable to a fine of €300. A similar fine will be imposed if owners allow their dogs to circulate in public areas off the leash....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Sounds good to me providing the money taken will be used for animal welfare.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

There are already RULES that relate to apartments that state "one domestic animal", so ONE means just that. The problem being the RULES have no consequences apart from the apartment management committee taking out a court action!
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Who would be responsible for the policing of the "Pick up the dog mess"
All things are possible
Tremigirl

Post by Tremigirl »

What about hunting dogs in cages? Or will they be classed as working dogs?
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Two dogs per house sounds good, but many people I know (Brits too) already have more than two dogs. Who decides which dogs are kept and what is supposed to happen to the "surplus"?
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
jeba

Post by jeba »

Only one dog per apartement i my view is borderline animal cruelty. I´ve always simultaneously had 2 dogs so that they have canine companianship.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

jeba wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:28 am Only one dog per apartement i my view is borderline animal cruelty. I´ve always simultaneously had 2 dogs so that they have canine companianship.
That's a ridiculous statement. Many many households have a single pet. It isn't cruel at all.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

It is amazing how many people comment on stories without reading the article properly. I don't just mean here. I have seen this published on facebook and the immediate reaction from a lot of people is that it means they will have to have their third dog put down.

It doesn't.

"There will be a limit of a maximum of two dogs per house and one per apartment, but provision is made for owners who have more dogs when the law comes into force to be allowed keep them."

Basically, they are saying that if you have four dogs, then you will be allowed to keep them, but not get any more. You will only be allowed one more dog when three of your existing dogs die.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Nobody mentioned the fact in Cyprus, that there is no house where the largest amount of dogs of the country are kept: at the countryside. In many places there is only a type of kennel with plenty of dogs (5-10) but no house. Sometimes only empty large barrels where the animals are chained. Owners of the dogs come once a day to feed them (If!) There, the Government should start to think about. Also none of the dogs I believe are registered and it is paid for. (not to mention health certificate)...

Max
Cherry345

Post by Cherry345 »

There is a dog that lives nearby to us that is chained to a tree, the owner comes to feed him daily but is only really home at weekends, but the poor dog is still left tied up....I wish there was an organization I could report him to but I am guessing in Cyprus there is nothing I can do.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I agree, they need reporting to the Government vet's offices on Hellados Avenue..
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:28 am Only one dog per apartement i my view is borderline animal cruelty. I´ve always simultaneously had 2 dogs so that they have canine companianship.
In my opinion it is more crue, keeping dogs in small apartments
Cherry345

Post by Cherry345 »

Thank you so much, it has made me feel so much better knowing there is something I can do, I will find their office or number and let them know about the tied up dog....it makes no sense why they have a dog if all they are going to do is leave it out in this heat day after day....thanks again, I do love this site.
Cherry345

Post by Cherry345 »

I seem to be having a problem finding a government vet, the last call I made ended up being a construction company, if anyone gets a spare five minutes could they help me in trying to find the number.....we are certainly having a dog day morning lol as my neighbor just found a dog asleep in his garage....hope it won't be a dog day afternoon lol.
memory man

Post by memory man »

I found this...………

26 821261 Paphos District Veterinary Office

http://www.moa.gov.cy/moa/vs/vs.nsf/ind ... enDocument
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The limit on animals is a common thing in titles on houses in the UK. The house I am in has a limit of two animals.
Cherry345

Post by Cherry345 »

Thank you, Memory man, that was the right number you posted....all sorted many thanks it was very kind of you.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

I visited that office a while back to report someone with 9 dogs in their yard which was covered in sh** and incessant barking. Although some of the younger ones have gone - it's pretty much the same today. Their words were "as long as the animals are being fed and have water available at all times - there is nothing we can do". I don't suppose the new law will change that then.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

I have emailed the director of Vetinerary service with my comments. Particularly about clarity regarding the reporting process. Is is Municipality/Communal Board, Government Vet or Police - depending on the issue. I have mentioned that there is no point having a law if there is no clear mechanism for it to reported and enforced.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way