Butters and Spreads

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
PhotoLady

Re: Butters and Spreads

Post by PhotoLady »

Well, with all this chat about Lurpak and Danpak over the past few days and for me and hubby who only buy butter to cook certain items with (we use olive oil for everything else) decided to pop a tub of the Danpack spreadable in the trolley today whilst we were in Lidl picking up some last bits for our BBQ tomorrow afternoon.

The Danpak for 500g tub was £1.89 and the Lurpak 500g was £3.19.

We usually buy "I can't believe it's not butter" for sandwiches etc and nowadays, we can't get hold of it when we go to Morrison's so we just have to grab it where we can. We tried another option the other week from Heron Foods which was horrible. The closest we've got to our regular spreadable is Tesco's own brand: "Butter Me Up" which is £1.05 for 500g.

No gourmet's in our house ;-) and no cholesterol issues either!
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Quiet-life!

Post by Quiet-life! »

Fascinating thread ....I was brought up on good old Irish butter ....crusty loaves et al.....I first discovered Lurpak in the UK at the same time I ever had toasted crumpets ......ohhhhhh. When I arrived in Paphos a few weeks ago I bought a tub of spreadable Lurpak as it was just ....the devil I knew!
It was nice on some of the nice seed bread from Lidl .....I also popped a dollop with olive oil for pan frying chicken and pork ...have not tried any of the alternative suggestions here but will for sure ...!
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Lurpak spreadable currently €5.38 in Sklavenitis (Kings Avenue Mall) for 500g - checked elsewhere in recent days and €7.00+.

additional comment: Definitely 500g on the container and weighs 528g in total.
Last edited by galexinda on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TandC

Post by TandC »

Check the weight carefully: lurpak have reduced the weight of their smaller packs of spreadable and may do same with larger packs.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Slightly .... no totally off topic. As a cornish farmers son I enjoyed some of things my urban friends rib me about during the war years. Real butter & full milk. I married a Coventry girl who insists we have low fat milk & that low cholesterol stuff that passes for butter. I do not believe as claimed it is a healthier way of eating ;) ;)
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

My father was in Foods & Agriculture in the 60s he was invited to the opening of a factory making margarine taken around and shown the process........margarine never made its way into our household!!
Butter is natural ......if used in moderation I cannot see any harm.....
I do use olive oil for cooking
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

But Ronk, let us not forget that 6 months ago, Tesco salted / unsalted British butter was £0-85 per 250g block. That's one hell of a price hike to the £1-60 it costs now in such a short period...

WHY, I wonder?

AL :?
Gone but not forgotten...
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

With the current offer in Papantoniou 500g = €5.67 and ends on Sunday 24th. However, still cheaper in Sklavenitis at €5.38.
Last edited by galexinda on Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I like Lurpak best, but Lidl also sell ‘English’ Butter which I find quite acceptible.
I should think it’s inevitable that ‘spreadable butters’ have something added to them which makes them less solid and easier to spread!
As spreadables are often more expensive, I save the carton from one and reuse it to hold my ordinary butter. If you leave butter outside the fridge for a short time before use, it will soften up naturally....
Dee
TandC

Post by TandC »

Check the weights carefully at paps . there are some of the reduced weight smaller packs on the shelf!!
memory man

Post by memory man »

@ Lidl next week.

LURPAK salted & unsalted spreadable butter.

for 225g = eu2.59.

was = eu3.65
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Austin7 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:15 am Buy crumpets unfrozen from M&S
They are thawed and redated (3 or 4 days, I think)
GreenArmy12

Post by GreenArmy12 »

I was a proper Butter snob when I lived in the UK, and would only ever but Anchor, never got on with any of the spreadables. Had to adapt a bit here, and put up wirh Country Life or Kerrygold, did actually bring back a couple of blocks of Anchor last visit to UK.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

You can't beat Guernsey butter for a rich yellow colour and loads of flavour.
I remember in my early teens being rather horrified on my first trip to Normandy to be presented with a white rather tasteless substance that they reckoned was butter!
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
manxie

Post by manxie »

In my honest opinion butter from isle of man is some of the best I have tasted, my Cypriot friends all ways ask me to bring some for them both full fat and whey which I prefer, cows only feed on grass the cheese is pretty good to has won many awards
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

Was reading the thread never looked at dates on it. Then a comment from AL came up. Nearly shite myself. God bless him.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Know the feeling Stelios. Al was a good friend of mine and it always gives me goose bumps when I see his posts being resurrected, but it does keep him in our thoughts. God Bless Al, miss you mate x