A Place in the Sun

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Jamboal

A Place in the Sun

Post by Jamboal »

Look out for another episode showing properties in the Polis/Paphos region, they were filming a property in our block in Prodromi this afternoon although don’t think they fancied it too much.
smudger

Re: A Place in the Sun

Post by smudger »

OMG V!! You don't mean I missed my chance to be on national television!!! 😜
WHL

Post by WHL »

''We will go back and think about it'' is the usual response from the couples,,,, meaning, thanks for the 'free holiday' , suckers.
smudger

Post by smudger »

I agree, so annoying, it's the same on the UK based 'Escape to the Country'.
josef k

Post by josef k »

In my opinion A Place In The Sun is responsible for a considerable amount of misery, due to people rushing off to buy their place in the sun with an unrealistic view of buying and living abroad.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Getting a little tedious maybe,,,how many times do they say,,,,i can see us sat here watching the sun go down with good glass wine,,,,we used to come here on holiday and fell in love with the place,,,,,it ticks all the boxes,,,,plus as WHL said we,ll go back and think about it...and,,,,,,?
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

It’s a Lifestyle programme which is cheap to produce some of their budgets are so low I don’t know what they expect!!
Many appear to make “offers” that are accepted but fo they actually go forward with the purchase the property 🤨
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

Flossie wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 11:50 am I'd love to know the % of those who actually DO buy though - sometimes they tell you but more often than not they don't!
What does it matter if people buy or not ? I just see this program as an eye opener to what’s available .

i admit the program spurred me and the wife to leave the uk for a new life in the sun , no regrets .
smudger

Post by smudger »

Agree Flossie. Don't watch it that often now, but can remember when watching any programmes involving Cyprus being able to spot the holes in many of the comments and to a degree some of the information. This then made me quite cynical about programmes in other parts of the world, but perhaps especially in the Med area, as to how realistic much of the information really is.
I have felt more and more, as someone else commented, that many of these people are just blaggers wanting a free holiday.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Interesting that they are filming in Cyprus this week and this was happening in London:

A protest aimed at warning the British public not to buy properties in Cyprus took place on Saturday outside a major property exhibition in London.
A small group of people who had bought property in Cyprus gathered outside the Olympia in London where A Place in the Sun Live was taking place. Two Cypriot companies were among those taking part.
The aim of the protest was to warn off potential buyers from investing in Cyprus citing their own unfortunate cases that include homes destroyed in an ongoing land-slippage in Pissouri, Swiss Franc house loans and a double selling fraud.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

galexinda wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:51 am Interesting that they are filming in Cyprus this week and this was happening in London:

A protest aimed at warning the British public not to buy properties in Cyprus took place on Saturday outside a major property exhibition in London.
A small group of people who had bought property in Cyprus gathered outside the Olympia in London where A Place in the Sun Live was taking place. Two Cypriot companies were among those taking part.
The aim of the protest was to warn off potential buyers from investing in Cyprus citing their own unfortunate cases that include homes destroyed in an ongoing land-slippage in Pissouri, Swiss Franc house loans and a double selling fraud.
Oh dear,i suppose this wont do property prices here any good :? Mmmmm,,I wonder what the Cypriot developers selling propwerties at the exhibition tell prospective buyers about the demonstration.
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

I would imagine that the developers see the Brits as “has been” their interest now is selling inferior properties at totally inflated prices to Chinese and Russians through the golden visa for a cool 2 million 😏
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, but this may change, I’m sure that I read in the paper that the EU are putting increased pressure on both Cyprus and Malta to stop this ‘golden bowler’ scheme.. It seems that they are worried about the security aspects to the EU.
Also nearer home, it was also said that the main beneficiaries of this money making scheme are the developers and the Govt, through taxes. Apparently, this increased revenue is not feeding through to the general island economy.
Dee
JimX

Post by JimX »

Up your way this morning Lloyd see how the other half live :) I have now a 4x4 so I can drive to her stables over that old rough Roman road , both my daughter and granddaughter took there horses back to Pats stables.Pop in some time.
Jim.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Lloyd I did a daft thing going to Helen's stables yesterday, I cleaned our new car purchase before driving to the stables down that old Roman road, it was covered in dust but that is why we bought another 4x4 just to use on that road, it is rough in places, but the stables are just in a beautiful area, it takes your breath away not including that dust, well worth a ride out or if you feel a 'hack' coming on!, I was again looking at that old house next to the stables, a spooky place with some very strange stories to go with it, if the new golf course if it ever gets built this the house will become the 19th hole.
Jim.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Did some geocaching up there a few years back. Nice area for exploring.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

Place in the Sun.........must of looked at this forum 🤓 they now say whether the contributors have purchased or not or what they have purchased

It’s fabulous to hack out of the stables especially an hour or so before the sun goes down .........
JimX

Post by JimX »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:21 pm
JimX wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:39 amI was again looking at that old house next to the stables, a spooky place with some very strange stories to go with it, if the new golf course if it ever gets built this the house will become the 19th hole.

We've looked around the house too. Didn't it used to be a Cypriot version of a coaching inn in years gone by? Wasn't aware of the strange, spooky stories though.

Story goes a murder happened there many years ago a family feud and the shooting happened?, but as usual nothing can be substantiated, nothing has been said by the girls that it was ever a coaching inn, and for sure it feels very creepy, it is used by the stables to store horse grub now, it could make a lovely venue for that 19th hole in the future.

The hotel says this will be the end of the new golf course they own most of the land around there..CL had the full story about this house many years ago, I cannot find it now but I will take a better look for the thread.CH 4,s wedding program about Paphos this week used this venue in the program, Pat the owner of the stables will be in shot.(no pun intended) ;o)

This is a photo I took recently, no internal stairs and no plumbing or electric, not sure when it was last lived in or died in but it is substantial with an outside toilet in the grounds.
Attachments
Latchifixeruperer1000x751.jpg
Latchifixeruperer1000x751.jpg (146.96 KiB) Viewed 2023 times
Jim.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Has the filming finished for Place in the Sun?