Shamima Begum - this is going to cost UK a small fortune....

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Varky

Re: Shamima Begum - this is going to cost UK a small fortune....

Post by Varky »

Devil wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:44 pm
Dominic wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:24 pm
The most important bit about that is the first sentence:
Shamima Begum (born c. 2000) is a British-born woman
So what? She renounced her right to be British by her actions as is made quite clear in the article you quote:
The following day, UK Home Secretary Sajid Javid announced that an order had been made with the intention of stripping Begum of her British citizenship.[19] The UK government contends that she holds, or is eligible for, citizenship of Bangladesh.[20] There have been reports that immigration lawyers confirm this position.[19] The Government of Bangladesh, however, stated that Begum does not hold Bangladeshi citizenship and will not be allowed to enter the country.[2][21][22]

British law does not allow that an individual is made stateless and Begum will have the right to appeal the Home Office's decision to revoke her UK citizenship.[19] Javid's decision was criticised by Begum's immediate family members, who sought to stop it through legal methods, but her brother-in-law Muhammad Rahman urged the public to support the government decision. He said: "The information they have is to the best of their ability and the British people should support it".[23] Shamima Begum said that she might consider applying for Dutch citizenship.[24][25]

On 24 February, her father Ahmed Ali said, "If she at least admitted she made a mistake then I would feel sorry for her and other people would feel sorry for her, but she does not accept her wrong."
So he hasn't yet revoked her citizenship only that he intends to do so. And what her family says is irrelevant.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

That will be the same father who was photographed alongside Lee Rigby's killer, clutching a burning USA flag, oh yes a really nice example for his daughter to follow, and she did. The same father who blamed the UK authorities for allowing his daughter to leave the UK. He can go and join her !

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

International law states she was “groomed” as a minor and therefore MUST be repatriated.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Firefly wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:40 pm That will be the same father who was photographed alongside Lee Rigby's killer, clutching a burning USA flag, oh yes a really nice example for his daughter to follow, and she did. The same father who blamed the UK authorities for allowing his daughter to leave the UK. He can go and join her !
Jackie
All the more reason to get her back in UK to extract information as to how she came to go to Syria and if this includes information on her father so much the better.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Varky

Come on please, extract information, how ?

Lloyd, how is that good news and for whom ?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Some people want her back and will use any excuse as reason to do so. Unfortunately it will be others who suffer if and when she reverts to type . Those self same people will the wring their hands and wonder why it happened.....
Varky

Post by Varky »

Firefly wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:54 pm Varky
Come on please, extract information, how ?
Use your imagination!
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I am, torture ? What do you imagine ?
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Lloyd

I would love to think so, but I doubt it.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Just seen a photo on FB of the eight year old little girl that ISIS murdered in Manchester, what a beautiful little thing she was. Some very misguided people believe that members of that evil organisation should be allowed back into Britain, that should be only to be hung :evil:
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 5:21 pm that should be only to be hung :evil:
I'll be pedantic: 'that should be only to be hanged'. You may have hung a picture but Ruth Ellis was hanged. One of the oddities of English! I don't agree with you, though as I'm against capital punishment.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Firefly wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 6:13 pm I am, torture ? What do you imagine ?
Guantanamo Bay?
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Devil,

Take a look at that little girl, and ask yourself if it's worth one penny of British tax payer's money to keep any ISIS members in jail.

I think not.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:49 am Devil,

Take a look at that little girl, and ask yourself if it's worth one penny of British tax payer's money to keep any ISIS members in jail.

I think not.
I agree it's bad value: just chuck'em out and make sure they don't come back.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

That would be acceptable if we did, but our government is too weak to make that happen.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Devil

Thank you for pointing out my grammatical error, I suppose if I had thought about it longer before posting, I might have realised that 'hung' was wrong. :roll:

Then I started thinking about the English language, that it is as you point out, very odd that you can hang a man and a picture, but a picture is hung and a man hanged. Following that, Hung Parliament came to mind, and I thought, in view of the present mess in the UK over Brexit, wouldn't it be better to have a Hanged Parliament :lol:
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:07 pm in view of the present mess in the UK over Brexit, wouldn't it be better to have a Hanged Parliament :lol:
If only ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
memory man

Post by memory man »

Latest on this >>> HERE
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Well it was predictable that as a UK citizen and also at time of leaving, a minor by international law who was trafficked, so no surprise. She will have to do jail time.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Interesting, that in us statute, they can revoke your citizenship if you join the communist party!😳

Now, no lover of communists, but rather extreme!