Rare findings....(pics)

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Rare findings....(pics)

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I hope you are not bored from these mineral photos but I believe the red and yellow coloured quartz crystals I found this year are quite rare in Cyprus.

Here are small piece with strange colour

from the other side

beautiful orange piece

close up

interesting quartz formation, never found before

also these brown crystals are new for my collection, I wonder which quartz type that is....

after crashing this stone, there came this surprise up: 2 nice geodes.

close up, beautiful colour inside, the pic does not bring it up though..

this is one of my favourite pieces as it has so many different coloured crystals

also that piece has got many colours

this is perhaps citrin mixed ...

So that was it, before it get's really boring for some... :roll:
but I am warning: more pics I will post in the near future, as I have so many nice photos in store to share with you..

Max
Lofos-5

Re: Rare findings....(pics)

Post by Lofos-5 »

Wow - nice specimens and great photos of them!

A.
Ancient History

Post by Ancient History »

They are indeed beautiful specimens. Thank you.
Paphos Life

Post by Paphos Life »

Yes, I admire your patience in cleaning them too!
Cherry345

Post by Cherry345 »

They are amazing, I love the gold colored ones, what a fabulous hobby to have where you get to keep your treasures.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Paphos Life wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:10 am Yes, I admire your patience in cleaning them too!
All these specimens I didn't clean, they were laying in the rain for some weeks now... Only sometimes when there is a lot of sand on the crystals I am rinsing them in my outdoor sink, using an old toothbrush...

Max
ph06kg1

Post by ph06kg1 »

Amazing Max, thank you for posting!!! My favorite one is the third photo from the end, stunning! Iron oxide inclusions are indeed quite rare for Cyprus. On the contrary, analcime crystals can be found almost every time in all colors!
ph06kg1

Post by ph06kg1 »

Oh, and we are never bored to see your lovely findings :)
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

ph06kg1 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:12 pm Oh, and we are never bored to see your lovely findings :)

Any idea which kind of Quartz crystals one can see on my pic #6 ? It's not really a pretty specimen but the first time I found something like that...

Max
ph06kg1

Post by ph06kg1 »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:22 am
ph06kg1 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:12 pm Oh, and we are never bored to see your lovely findings :)

Any idea which kind of Quartz crystals one can see on my pic #6 ? It's not really a pretty specimen but the first time I found something like that...

Max
What do you mean by what kind? You mean what types of oxides?
As fas as i can tell. these crystals all came out from the same pocket. I can guess its just normal Quartz covered with iron oxides! Not all are citrine though, as i can see some are just transparent crystals covered in iron oxides, while others the oxides have penetrated into the crystal structure, which makes it a citrine!
ph06kg1

Post by ph06kg1 »

Also, now i 've noticed! I can see an inverter along with a circuit braker on the 4th photo :) Is it a Fronius one?
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

ph06kg1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:49 am Also, now i 've noticed! I can see an inverter along with a circuit braker on the 4th photo :) Is it a Fronius one?
No George, it is a ABB Aurora Power-one (made in Italy), mounted in my carport. In front of it you can see the table I am storing specimens until I find a different place. (best pieces inside the house) Before that they were laying in the open to get a good rinse from the rain....

Max
ph06kg1

Post by ph06kg1 »

Amazing Max! Reminds me of myself last year, when i only had one table outside the house full of rocks! Later on, my wife bought me 2 bookshelves, where i store them inside the house too hehe! That's their correct place :)

ABB are very efficient inverters, how much, is it 90-98%? In the laboratory we also use SMA inverters, they are among the top-quality inverters worldwide!
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

ph06kg1 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:06 pm Amazing Max! Reminds me of myself last year, when i only had one table outside the house full of rocks! Later on, my wife bought me 2 bookshelves, where i store them inside the house too hehe! That's their correct place :)

ABB are very efficient inverters, how much, is it 90-98%? In the laboratory we also use SMA inverters, they are among the top-quality inverters worldwide!
As I am collecting crystals more years than you George, (>25 years) there is not a single space indoors for new findings on my 6 ! bookshelves. But extra nice pieces need to go inside, away from sun, to be better protected and older specimens have to go in a paper box... :roll:

My ABB inverter does a good job with max. 96.8% efficiency and is second hand. It was returned from one of our GreenAir customers which decided to have a larger PV system, after one year testing how great PV works...and needed a 10 kW inverter instead.

Nothing wrong with SMA inverters (leading German producer) In the larger 20 kWp installation at my other property I have several SMA's running since 2009...

https://search-ext.abb.com/library/Down ... ion=Launch

Max
ph06kg1

Post by ph06kg1 »

Yiap, as far as I can tell, it is a four-switch unipolar inverter, very efficient technology! They have very little noise in the output signal, and they are quite grid-integrated friendly machines!

Oh wow!! 25 years?? I am like.. not even completed 2 years!!! I am now building my home, i will have a special place for them: an exhibition glass-case with proper lighting conditions :)

Max, do you collect any other type of crystals (beyond quartz, maybe zeolites, epidote, calcite, azurite or malachites etc.?)
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

This is like Batman and Robin, but for rocks and solar panels. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
ph06kg1

Post by ph06kg1 »

Dominic wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:48 am This is like Batman and Robin, but for rocks and solar panels. :)
Hahahahaha loool!! So it should be like Bat-sun and Rockbin :D!!!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

:lol: Stick to the rocks.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
ph06kg1

Post by ph06kg1 »

Dominic wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:03 pm :lol: Stick to the rocks.
Always!! :P
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

ph06kg1 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:16 pm
Dominic wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:03 pm :lol: Stick to the rocks.
Always!! :P
OK then George, have you any clue what that specimen is :?: (as you are allowed to stick to the rocks :roll: )

Max