Blood tests

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
trevnhil

Blood tests

Post by trevnhil »

I had my first private blood test yesterday, since moving to Cyprus in 2006.
I went to the Blue Cross hospital and it was done very quickly and the results were ready at 4pm
I did wonder if I would be able to make any sense of the readings. But yes is is easy enough, as on one side of the forms is the readings from my blood sample, and on the other side is the broad spectrum of what the readings should be..
I was quite pleased with the results, which I will pass on to the consultants I use..

Don't ask what the cost was as it was a freebie for me this time as a member of their private ambulance system
Trev..
Lincoln

Re: Blood tests

Post by Lincoln »

We always use the Blue Cross clinic for blood tests. Dr Silvie is a gentle caring person and we are in and out within minutes. The results are emailed to us and very easy to read and understand
All things are possible
JimX

Post by JimX »

I usually get my three month Diabetic and Prostate blood testing done at the lab opposite Paps supermarket near Lemba/Chloraka, a next day service and they sit you down to explain the results, I could get them free at the General but on two occasions they lost my test sheets results, the cost is not high in my opinion.
Jim.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I can't answer for HIC but in my case the 54 or so tests on 3 pages tell you exactly what was being checked.
It then gave you standard readings.... Low, Medium, High so you could compare with what your readings should be for a certain Cholesterol for example..
Trev..
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Like Lloyd, I also prefer the blood service at Olympia Pavlidou & Sons, knowing that also Hospitals in Paphos are using them. I always choose their special offer of 50 Euro and modifying it including ferritin level and CEA-cancer test. I get the results hours later e-mailed and explained on the phone if I felt one result was not in the reference values...

By the way: This lab you find also on the PL-Directory...

Max
daveg

Post by daveg »

Evangelimos Hospital offer same service...
Just turn up, no appointment needed..
Results via email or collect in two hours...
Alewfin

Post by Alewfin »

I have my comprehensive diabetic (including tumor and cancer) blood tests done at the Polis Hospital primarily because its less of a hassle than the General and my drugs are much cheaper than if I bought them at any Pharmacy.

Like others I use Pavlidou for my PSA blood tests.

I find the service in Cyprus from the various high street labs like Pavlidou excellent and wonder why there appears to be few, if any, in the UK.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

So under Gesy does it mean that these 50€ fees will disappear , if you are registered ?
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Mrblobby wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:34 pm So under Gesy does it mean that these 50€ fees will disappear , if you are registered ?
GPs will be able to request certain tests but if you decide you want to have a particular test then you will still pay the full price. Also there are a few different types of PSA test so I anticipate GESY would pay for the basic one (PSA level and comparison with the normal range for their age group) but not the ones that provide more detail.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Sounds similar to the medicines available, if you are happy with the normal one then you pay the standard rate but if you want a specific one then you pay the difference?

Shane
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Sadly though the 'standard rate' is now going to be € 1 a box, where it was 50 cents each item on your prescription..
Last edited by trevnhil on Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trev..
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

True, but in the UK the standard prescription cost is now £9.00 per item …………… I know which system I would rather be in!

Shane
zorbathejock

Post by zorbathejock »

ApusApus wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:01 pm True, but in the UK the standard prescription cost is now £9.00 per item …………… I know which system I would rather be in!

Shane
Only parts of the U.K. In Scotland prescriptions are free.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Ronk you say.... ''Sorry m8 but you really need to feel the fickle finger of fate my friend..and they don't seem keen to do that over here do they?''

Afraid like many you are under the illusion a digit test is the answer, not so, as Doctors can only feel one side of the Prostate gland, the only real answer is a blood test and probably a camera taking a sample of the gland, this is unpleasant but the only way to be fairly confident you are clear of this common problem.
Jim.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Some doctors do the digital test as a routine part of the consultation but at the very least it's a good idea for men to get the basic PSA blood test done on an annual basis. We all know our own body, but always better to get anything out of the ordinary investigated sooner rather than later.
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

JimX wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:47 am Afraid like many you are under the illusion a digit test is the answer, not so, as Doctors can only feel one side of the Prostate gland, the only real answer is a blood test and probably a camera taking a sample of the gland, this is unpleasant but the only way to be fairly confident you are clear of this common problem.

Benign prostatic enlargement will not show in blood tests.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Benign prostatic enlargement will not show in blood tests.
I think the doctor with his digit up your rear end would know this and explain what that test can and cannot do, the only real answer is to have a Prostate biopsy. By the way, I was diagnosed with an enlarged Prostate 25 years ago. I need running shoes at night!!
Jim.
daveg

Post by daveg »

Prostate biopsy is not pleasant, I speak from experience,but in my case the results showed cancer was present ...
Prostate removed within days.....
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

daveg, I had a biopsy a few years ago and all the samples were clear.. I thought it good that the consultant at the General rang me to pass on the good news.
Can I ask if your diagnosis and operation were on the Cyprus health system or private ?
Trev..
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Like a few others on here. A few years a go I was for ever going to the toilet. After a examination -rectal . I was informed that I had Benign Prostate Hyperblasia. After a year later saw a Urologist (Dr Economides ) at the Blue Cross Hospital He said watch and wait as my PSA level was rising. Anyway after another year he said I needed a biopsy. Which I had done. Result early stages of Cancer. I flew to Athens and had Brachytherapy. That was THIRTEEN YEARS ago. I am still free from the dreaded Cancer.
All things are possible