The Rosy EU

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
ApusApus

The Rosy EU

Post by ApusApus »

Well, just when certain individuals on here like to think otherwise, maybe the glorious EU is not so glorious after all ……………… and we are not talking about one of the minor players here but the "powerhouse of the EU"!

https://www.ft.com/stream/3152dab4-adeb ... a2187f0701

Oh, and several German Financial Institutions are predicting the German economy will definitely go into recession in the event of a no-deal Brexit …………… who would have thought that possible?

Shane
jeba

Re: The Rosy EU

Post by jeba »

ApusApus wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:01 pm Well, just when certain individuals on here like to think otherwise, maybe the glorious EU is not so glorious after all ……………… and we are not talking about one of the minor players here but the "powerhouse of the EU"!

https://www.ft.com/stream/3152dab4-adeb ... a2187f0701

Oh, and several German Financial Institutions are predicting the German economy will definitely go into recession in the event of a no-deal Brexit …………… who would have thought that possible?

Shane
Well, it was clear from the beginning that Brexit would hurt everyone. Has anybody claimed that Germany would be an exemption? Or that there are no other reasons (think e. g. Trump´s tariffs)? So what´s your point?
Last edited by jeba on Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

jeba wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:26 pm So what´s your point?
Maybe you should read my post again ……………………… particularly the first line? :roll:

Shane
tonee

Post by tonee »

Laaki bank?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The Laiki Bank was the author of its own misfortunes, bad loans to Greece and too many local unpaid loans in Cyprus. All the information is there in Wikipedia.

Jim
jeba

Post by jeba »

ApusApus wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:21 pm
jeba wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:26 pm So what´s your point?
Maybe you should read my post again ……………………… particularly the first line? :roll:

Shane
Even after reading it again I´m still not getting the point. Are you trying to say that Germany´s economy is in bad shape or at least deteriorating and that´s because of the EU? Or that this is true for the EU as a whole - even for Germany? Or something different which I can´t figure out?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I can't see the point of this thread either Jeba.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Our adopted home of Cyprus will be one of the top four countries affected by Brexit. It's sad to think that the British who live here and voted leave never took into consideration or the effects it would have on the island and the people who live here

Jim

https://cyprus-mail.com/2019/04/01/cypr ... t-says-sp/
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Just a lot of hot air about “exposure” and “headwinds” and other ambiguous waffle typical of the “ratings” agencies who never even saw the 2008 crash coming.
So what, Cyprus has been whining on about the bases for decades and ludicrously threatening to send these sovereign territories backdated rent demands, as well as treating the resident UK retirees as cash cows [we’re colloquially known as ATMs].
And finally, the choice in the 2016 referendum was simply remain or leave. It wasn’t about deals or whether I should take into account the possibility of causing Cyprus “headwinds”, or of upsetting a few locals in the tourist trade. Or, come to that, putting a few wannabe Soroses- [or is it Arthur Daleys?]- who happened to be doing a brisk trade in Cyprus, a little out of joint.
NO! Leaving is all about taking back control of our country and borders from the wretched EU!
In the event, that is proving a little harder than it rightfully should, as we are blessed with a bunch of evasive and duplicitous turncoats and liars representing us in Parliament, who have sold out to the globalists for their thirty pieces of silver. May they all, like Judas, go hang!
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Perhaps they did! ;)

Shane
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

ronk wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:53 pm >Jeba..did you click the link provided by the OP ..to look at/read the FT articles?
Obviously not, otherwise he and Dominic would be the wiser! :lol:

Shane
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jon
Of all the leave posters on here I would have thought you would be the last one to be taken in by that guff about taking back control of our borders.

Jim
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Good Morning Jim. Whilst I humbly acknowledge I am probably even more percipient and intelligent than many of my leave colleages- which is saying something- sovereignty is nevertheless the central tenet of leaving.
Through spending too much time in the remain ranks, you have come to believe like most of them, that it is all economics, finance and trade. Whilst these are very important, to me they take second place to autonomy.
Jon.
jeba

Post by jeba »

kingfisher wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:02 am you have come to believe like most of them, that it is all economics, finance and trade. Whilst these are very important, to me they take second place to autonomy.
Jon.
At least, that´s honest. But I wonder how many of those who voted leave share that view. Wasn´t it a major point of the referendum campaign that it would be better for financial reasons to leave the EU? At least that´s the impression I got from watching it from the sidelines (as I´m not British).
jeba

Post by jeba »

ronk wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:53 pm >Jeba..did you click the link provided by the OP ..to look at/read the FT articles?
Only the first and second. And those left me wondering about what might be his point.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

kingfisher wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:02 am Good Morning Jim. Whilst I humbly acknowledge I am probably even more percipient and intelligent than many of my leave colleages- which is saying something- sovereignty is nevertheless the central tenet of leaving.
Through spending too much time in the remain ranks, you have come to believe like most of them, that it is all economics, finance and trade. Whilst these are very important, to me they take second place to autonomy.
Jon.
Jon
As I've stated many times on here my concerns are social and I personally believe the ordinary people get more benefits from the EU in personal rights and social infrastructure than we ever received prior to joining. Safety at work and improvements in our living standards and opportunities in education and science is what drives me, not financial reasons as you suggest. This is what drives most Remainers, well the ones I know, anyway.

Jim
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Jeba, I speak for myself when I say that I value sovereignty above all other considerations; I knew the pound would be pummeled by opportunists and speculators, and indeed it affects me, but that is nothing compared to the sacrifice made by the millions who gave their lives over the centuries for our freedoms.
Jim, The UK has managed to get back some of the 230 billion it has put into the EU over the years, and invest in infrastructure, education etc., as you point out. However, the EU pill is sugar-coated. For me, it is a bitter pill with appalling side-effects.

Jon
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

ApusApus wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:41 pm
Obviously not, otherwise he and Dominic would be the wiser! :lol:

Shane

No I did click the link, and read a few of the articles. I still can't see why you bothered to post the thread.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jon
I feel as free if not more free in the EU as I did before we joined so really cannot understand where your coming from. I and my family can travel, work, reside or be educated in other member countries; opportunities that were not available to my generation and now you and fellow leavers have voted to have it taken away from us all for sovereignty which after all means different things to different people.
At least Remainers voted for something that is tangible and not wishful thinking and fanciful in this day and age. To use past wars and sacrifice as an argument for leaving the EU is an argument I could use for remaining, we lost family and my father suffered all his life from debilitating illness after serving in the war.
Billions of Euros were directed to where it was needed by the EU, yes it may of been UK money but would it have been spent by British governments where it was needed; I don't think so?

Jim
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Jim, there was nothing stopping anyone from traveling, working,residing- or being educated in European countries before the EU- you talk as if the UK was then part of the USSR.
Best we agree to differ as regards the past conflicts- thank God others did make huge sacrifices, or we wouldn’t be having this conversation!
Jon.