New Cyprus Driving Licence and UK Car Rental

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Mike J

New Cyprus Driving Licence and UK Car Rental

Post by Mike J »

As we all rush to conform to the missive on driving licences from the High Commision a salatory tale from my newly returned neighbour who had been to the UK to visit her mum. She had gone clutching her newly issued Cyprus drivers licence and arrived at Gatwick Airport late in the evening. She found her rental company and presented the said licence issued three weeks before the trip.
Oh said the rental clerk so you have only had a licence for three weeks I’m afraid we don’t accept new drivers without a surcharge . The 64 year old tried to explain that she had recently traded in her UK licence which she had held for 46 years to comply with a no deal Brexit but the clerk said there was no way for her to confirm the “ story” she was being told by checking with the Cyprus Dept. Of Transport. Nor could she check with Swansea as my neighbour had no record of her previous licence number so surcharge of £200 or no car what’s it to be ?
Reluctantly my neighbour at now 11.30 p.m. paid the surcharge and took the car. So probably best to keep as much info on the licence you are trading in and check with the rental company when you book if your new licence is just that, very new.
WHL

Re: New Cyprus Driving Licence and UK Car Rental

Post by WHL »

Do you know what company this was with
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Unfortunately, Europcar terms and conditions for example state that you must provide "a full and valid driving licence which has been held for a minimum of 12 months", so if you have exchanged your licence in that period then you need to provide a copy of your previous one.

Having said all that, back in 2016 I hired a car through Europcar at Manchester Airport in both June and December using my Cypriot driving licence which was issued in May of that year and had no problems! The only difference I assume was that on both occasions I pre-booked the rental from this end.

Shane
smudger

Post by smudger »

None of the dates I can see on my licence relate to anything like when I passed my test!!
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Flossie wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:47 pm But.. printed on your 'new' Cyprus license is the date on which you passed your test ie the date from which you've 'held' a license!!

What a load of tosh from Europcar!!

:twisted:
You might want to check your licence as, like smudger, my licence shows 3 dates and none of them are the date I passed my UK driving test!

Shane
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

There is nothing on my present Cypriot licence to say when I passed my test ie how long I have had a driving licence..
Trev..
Cherry345

Post by Cherry345 »

Thanks for posting that info, as we will both make sure we take copies of our English licenses before we trade them...definitely good to know.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I too have a copy of my UK licence, which as people know you have to give up when exchanging for a Cypriot one ..
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

On a side note, if you hire from the top five or six, companys, it's worth your while to join their, membership, costs nothing, they keep your details, so you just turn up no queuing, no paper work, just pick up the keys and go,, with a couple of them I'm always upgraded with out even asking.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I have today been in touch with Europcar.. They confirm that the rules are that you need to be able to show that you have held a valid driving licence for at least 12 months.. As mentioned above when you renew you Cypriot Licence it only shows a start date and an expiry date...
I asked what a person could do... I was told that they should bring as much proof as possible, such as the old UK licence.... Of course we know here that they are taken away from you...
But, in my case I do have a photocopy of my UK licence and of my previous Cypriot ones..
Trev..
Liam684

Post by Liam684 »

As I am glad that I keep all the old documents, it is precise because of such stupid situations that may occur. Thanks for the info, I'll warn my wife too.