Happy National Day!

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Happy National Day!

Post by Dominic »

https://www.wincalendar.com/Cyprus-National-Day

Cyprus National Day seeks to commemorate the start of the insurgence against the British in 1955. It commemorates the effort and struggle for freedom that the island endured in fight for freedom. Today, the holiday is largely a day of rest and relaxation for the people of Cyprus.

Cyprus National Day differs from Cyprus Independence Day. Cyprus National Day commemorates the struggle for freedom while Cyprus Independence Day celebrates the actual gaining of sovereignty. Cyprus National Day is always celebrated on 1 April, marking the day that Cypriots began fighting against the British.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
JimX

Re: Happy National Day!

Post by JimX »

Or as some locals call it ''bash a Brit day'' ;)
Jim.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Don't be doing any flag waving...
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

An interesting article I just came across a few minutes ago on the In-Cyprus website about EOKA...

How did 400 men fight the British Empire? The insurgency tactics of EOKA

In terms of numbers, the Cyprus Emergency was one of the most uneven anti-colonial struggles in history. How did the 400 men of EOKA manage to address this asymmetry and how do they evaluate the result of their fight?

“It was Monday morning. The leader instructed me to accompany him to the dentist because he would not come to fix his teeth in our hideout. At two, they discovered our dens. The leader had to be informed that he was in danger. If the leader is in danger, the fight is in danger.

Link to article here: https://in-cyprus.com/how-did-400-men-f ... s-of-eoka/
Cherry345

Post by Cherry345 »

Thanks, Photolady, I really enjoyed reading the article as I didn't know any of those facts, it was really interesting learning about what happened over here.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Don’t believe everything that you read as the British version is different in some factual ways in what happened.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

As they say, there's always two sides to every story...
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Given that we are in Cyprus I think it right and fair to respect Cyprus' version of events. I would expect a foreigner in the UK to respect the UK's version of history, after all.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Liam684

Post by Liam684 »

PhotoLady wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:57 pm An interesting article I just came across a few minutes ago on the In-Cyprus website about EOKA...

How did 400 men fight the British Empire? The insurgency tactics of EOKA

In terms of numbers, the Cyprus Emergency was one of the most uneven anti-colonial struggles in history. How did the 400 men of EOKA manage to address this asymmetry and how do they evaluate the result of their fight?

“It was Monday morning. The leader instructed me to accompany him to the dentist because he would not come to fix his teeth in our hideout. At two, they discovered our dens. The leader had to be informed that he was in danger. If the leader is in danger, the fight is in danger.

Link to article here: https://in-cyprus.com/how-did-400-men-f ... s-of-eoka/pain
Thank you, I always love to study history, interesting information;)
Last edited by Liam684 on Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:28 pm Don’t believe everything that you read as the British version is different in some factual ways in what happened.
There are five versions of the truth, re the Cyprus problem, the British/ Greek/ Turkish/ Greek Cypriot/ Turkish Cypriot version of the truth , the factual truth is in the middle of all those five.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I was here in 1956, as a civilian. I can testify that no version is factual. I witnessed some awful things but I can say 1) that no one was blameless 2) that the GC/TC divide started then, aided and abetted by the authorities and insurgents alike (divide and rule) 3) the press reported in detail events in favour of the British and diminished other events.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Devil wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:56 am I was here in 1956, as a civilian. I can testify that no version is factual. I witnessed some awful things but I can say 1) that no one was blameless 2) that the GC/TC divide started then, aided and abetted by the authorities and insurgents alike (divide and rule) 3) the press reported in detail events in favour of the British and diminished other events.
Good Post.