Broccoli different way cooked (very healthy!)

The place to share recipes and ask for advice.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Broccoli different way cooked (very healthy!)

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I cooked fresh broccoli today to find out if the receipt I learned in a German cookery program last week is as good as they told us...(Mr.Schuhbeck)

I liked it a lot as it is at bit spicier than the boring steamed version. On top of it very healthy, as broccoli already is, through the ingredients of garlic & ginger.

Cooking ingredients:

200 gr. bio broccoli (Italy, Lidl), veg.stock 1/4 l, 2 large cloves garlic, same amount ginger, 20 gr butter, 40 gr Mascarpone, salt, pepper, nutmeg, Parmesan cheese.

How to prepare:
In a medium size Teflon pan on med. heat, put the vegetable broth 1/4 l ca, and small broccoli florets, cut the stem into very thin slices, add small cut garlic and ginger and led it cook until all the liquid is gone. (from time to time stir a bit) Now is the time to add the butter, salt, pepper, bit of nutmeg. After serving you add some grated Parmesan cheese and pepper again. Ready! This is my version no 1.

Version no 2: Cook everything as above and as soon as it is ready, reduce the heat and add 2 large tbsp Mascarpone cream and a small amount vegetable broth until the consistence is nice. Ready.

As I said before the use of garlic and ginger in combination is very positive concerning healthy cooking...

Enjoy!

Max
PhotoLady

Re: Broccoli different way cooked (very healthy!)

Post by PhotoLady »

I prefer my broccoli raw but if it has to be cooked, it just gets thrown into boiling water and as soon as the water comes back to the boil again, it's taken out and served. Still crunchy :-)
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

PhotoLady wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:10 pm I prefer my broccoli raw but if it has to be cooked, it just gets thrown into boiling water and as soon as the water comes back to the boil again, it's taken out and served. Still crunchy :-)
Yes crunchy, but more than tasteless.... ;) :)
( and without the healthy stuff garlic & ginger)

Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I forgot to mention that if you mix garlic + ginger it is not only 90% easier for the body to absorb the goodness of both of them, but also you don't smell bad of garlic with this mix....it is quite nice for people which hate garlic for that reason.

Max
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:31 pm
PhotoLady wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:10 pm I prefer my broccoli raw but if it has to be cooked, it just gets thrown into boiling water and as soon as the water comes back to the boil again, it's taken out and served. Still crunchy :-)
Yes crunchy, but more than tasteless.... ;) :)
( and without the healthy stuff garlic & ginger)

Max
Nothing in our house gets cooked without garlic, we love it! I have overboiled veggies - no taste at all, hence why I like a lot of mine raw.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:36 am I forgot to mention that if you mix garlic + ginger it is not only 90% easier for the body to absorb the goodness of both of them, but also you don't smell bad of garlic with this mix....it is quite nice for people which hate garlic for that reason.

Max
Thanks for that tip, Max. I had always been told it was parsley that prevented "garlic breath", but my tests showed you need to eat an awful lot of parsley ....
😀😀
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

We followed this recipe and by God I am a convert. It was delicious.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

It would give it more calories, but it wouldn't take away the benefits of the broccoli, ginger and garlic.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Just finished for breakfast: 2 slices of Rye Bread with a good amount of Mascarpone on it (with sliced garlic + ginger) bit a sea salt and black pepper, and it is delicious, specially when fresh opened the container.... When I lived in Switzerland many many years ago, the best cream ever was the „Crème double de la Gruyère“ which is not available in Cyprus, but Marcarpone is, even when it can't touch the Swiss product...

Max
memory man

Post by memory man »

Mascarpone is not the best choice for your heart health as it's one of the highest fat cheeses (44 per cent, of which 30 per cent is saturated).

* copied from Google.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Flossie wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:49 am I find the fat content is rather too high for my taste tbh Dominic!
Try it with low fat creme fraiche then?
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:26 am
Flossie wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:49 am I find the fat content is rather too high for my taste tbh Dominic!
Try it with low fat creme fraiche then?
If one is concerned about the fat content: normal milk 3,5% does the same job, but you have to add a bit of mustard to thicken the sauce...

Max