Will the Brexiters be moving back to the UK?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Dominic
Site Admin

Will the Brexiters be moving back to the UK?

Post by Dominic »

Given that the Brexiters all hate the EU and all it stands for, it stands to reason that should that be your cap, you will be moving back to blighty, or to another foreign destination that is outside of the dread clutches of the EU but a bit warmer than the UK.

How are the travel plans going?

EDIT:

Just to be clear, when I say "brexiters" I don't mean people who voted leave. I mean people who since the vote have been highly critical of the EU.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
jeba

Re: Will the Brexiters be moving back to the UK?

Post by jeba »

Couldn't they simply move to one of the UK bases on Cyprus?
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Europe is a wonderful continent. The EU is hell on Earth.
Oh, and Jeba, I won't be moving anywhere- get it?
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

I moved to Cyprus for a number of reasons, the fact that Cyprus was in the EU didn't figure in any of them! :)

Shane
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Are you bored Dominic or just feeling like provoking people?
mikesjn

Post by mikesjn »

Jimgym wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:07 pm Are you bored Dominic or just feeling like provoking people?
Drunk? Dominic, I suppose you expect to keep your vote in the UK, I find that ridiculous, you live in Cyprus, if you have elected to pay tax in Cyprus, what is there for you to have a say in? You might live back here one day, well I might live in Cyprus one day and I have no say. Seems fair to me. Don't forget I am a remain voter and I am beginning to find it stupid and border line offensive.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

It was a simple question. Given some of the rhetoric I have seen directed at the EU, I was just curious what people planned to do. And I am not really directing my question at everybody who voted Brexit. Some of you have perfectly balanced opinions about the EU and the UK's place in it. But some Brexiters seem to liken it to a tyrannical super state. If I thought the EU was like that, there's no way I would want to live in an EU country.
jeba

Post by jeba »

kingfisher wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:43 pm Europe is a wonderful continent. The EU is hell on Earth.
Oh, and Jeba, I won't be moving anywhere- get it?
Actually, I wasn´t thinking of you. However, I wondered whether Brits could indeed move to the bases because if that´s the case it might be a loophole for those who don´t qualify for a residence permit.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I have edited my opening post to include the following:
_____

Just to be clear, when I say "brexiters" I don't mean people who voted leave. I mean people who since the vote have been highly critical of the EU.
_____

Hope that clarifies matter, but yes, Hudswell, I meant people like you, and Kingfisher, who considers the EU Hell on Earth.

If I felt that way about the EU I wouldn't want to live in an EU country. However, you have given me perfectly sensible reasons why you would chose to do so, and I can respect that.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

It demontrates just how far EU brainwashing and conditioning has gone when the concept of Europe as a grouping of separate nation-states with their own unique characteristics is confused with the EU.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Hudswell wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:32 pm ...... I do however have issues with an EU elite determined to dilute and absorb all that is unique about Europe and the countries that constitute it, each bringing a wealth of history and culture to the party, turning it instead into an amorphous mass.....
You can't be serious; I've read some guff about reasons for Brexit but this one takes the biscuit. So how has forty years plus in the EEC and EU diluted your Englishness?
You come out with some crackers Hudswell.

Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

My FiL lives between Spain and Holland, his wife is Dutch and he voted Brexit and is a rampant brexiteer, He is trying to sell a Villa in Spain and knows Brexit has cost him a fortune, yet he dent change his mind. Many people I have come across in different countries, who are ex-pat British, are predominately pro-Brexit.....

Turkeys voting for Xmas comes to mind.

If (more when) they face all the problems of the result of their votes, they'll get no sympathy from me. Similarly, those in the UK will quickly complain about jobs (Sunderland/Wales anyone?) and all other aspects - and then they will retrospectively blame the EU for all their woes.....

This is 100% a UK problem. The EU AGREED a deal with May and the UK parliament (the sovereign parliament) rejected it. Don't blame the EU. May totally screwed up - she had 2 1/2 years to agree a deal - and the backstop is a critical part. How many times has she been to Dublin? Once?
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

You've really got to stop your incessive rants Jimgward ……………………… or seek help!

Shane
jeba

Post by jeba »

kingfisher wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:09 pm It demontrates just how far EU brainwashing and conditioning has gone when the concept of Europe as a grouping of separate nation-states with their own unique characteristics is confused with the EU.
Well, the treaty of Rome already says the aim of member states should be an "ever closer union", doesn´t it? That doesn´t sound like a concept of separate nation states to me. It seems more like brainwashing to argue as if that hadn´t been written in the founding treaty already.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Hudswell
As usual you are reacting to hearsay and fantasy. The UK would have a veto if pressed on an EU Army and as far as the Euro is concerned, there are nine members presently not using it and three of those have a permanent opt out so presently losing the pound is not on the agenda.
Jim

https://fullfact.org/europe/hunt-eu-army/
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

jeba wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:42 am
kingfisher wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:09 pm It demontrates just how far EU brainwashing and conditioning has gone when the concept of Europe as a grouping of separate nation-states with their own unique characteristics is confused with the EU.
Well, the treaty of Rome already says the aim of member states should be an "ever closer union", doesn´t it? That doesn´t sound like a concept of separate nation states to me. It seems more like brainwashing to argue as if that hadn´t been written in the founding treaty already.
Not only that, but the idea that ever-closer union harms separate nations is a fallacy. Just look at Great Britain. Who in the right mind would say that the Scots and the Welsh have lost their national identities?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I didn't say that certain parties don't aspire to have an EU army, I stated that we have a veto and if we didn't want to be part of it we don't have to just like we decided we didn't want to be part of the Euro just like Denmark and Sweden did.
You're trying to make out it's cast in stone that we would have to join in with an EU Army but that's patentally untrue and you dare to suggest that Project Fear is the domain of Remainers.

Jim
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:19 am Lloyd, I do enjoy your anecdotal tales about chats with local Cypriot businessmen, and to be honest I wouldn’t expect them to understand why the UK has decided to leave the EU. Cyprus are of course new to the experience, and unless they were “bitten” by the banking haircut then unlike the Greeks have not really felt the “wrath” of the technocrats, after all let’s face it the Cypriots are basically ignoring most of the “recommendations” made by the Troika😉. Cyprus is still very much in the “Take” from the EU, it’s contributions are minimal and as a small country it benefits hugely. Hate is a powerful word, and I would suggest the majority of those that did vote to leave didn’t vote out of hatred but with a sense of general dissatisfaction with the EU elite, it’s policies and where the EU, like a oil tanker is heading. Do I blame the EU for the currant state of affairs, well yes I do along with most of our politicians, who should have put party politics and self interest to one side, motivated the British public and approached the EU with a forceful, consolidated and fair proposal for its departure. It didn’t and the EU, have taken full advantage, as you would expect them to, primarily to ensure that anyone else considering similar action is deterred. We have seen the true face of the EU technocrats and it’s not a pretty one.
I think you will find Cyprus pays in more then it receives from the EU, but hay ho any chance to have a pop at Cyprus.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:19 pm Given that the Brexiters all hate the EU and all it stands for, it stands to reason that should that be your cap, you will be moving back to blighty, or to another foreign destination that is outside of the dread clutches of the EU but a bit warmer than the UK.

How are the travel plans going?

EDIT:

Go back to the UK, you having a larf, to many Johny Foreigners there... :lol:
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Hudswell wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:02 am No Jim, it is not cast in stone, but along with ever greater integration within the EU it is an ambition that has been stated and I have absolutely no doubt that it is an agenda that will be pushed and pushed. And no we didn’t want to be part of the Euro, thankfully, but it is a precondition of any new country that joins the EU.
So again you agree with me, the EU Army is just wishful thinking of a few political leaders wereas it's getting little political support from other member countries.
You are correct about new EU members taking up the Euro but the UK like Denmark and Sweden are existing members so it doesn't affect them so it's really a moot point isn't? Unless once the British people realise what a catastrophe leaving was and demand we rejoin then we will have to be part of the Euro, lose any rebates and have to join the Schengen.

Jim