Dashcams again.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
trevnhil

Re: Dashcams again.

Post by trevnhil »

Just to correct HIC.. As far as I am aware the companies mentioned do not use 'Furniture Vans' :-)
They use 20ft or 40ft shipping containers
Trev..
JimX

Post by JimX »

Trev, morning you are correct. :)
Last edited by JimX on Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

This is the line. Brexit talk can continue in the politics section. NOT in this thread. It is an interesting thread that doesn't deserve to be in the politics section.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

I didn’t intend my remark to get the pro/anti brigade to talk politics, rather the possiblIty of added tariffs,after brexit, might deter people buying stuff from the UK.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Lloyd
The Nextbase range is widely considered to be the best out there at the moment with all kinds of add-on's depending on how far you want to go with the extras - You would have to decide what best suits you needs and your budget
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

If you go with Nextbase, check out the specifications of each model carefully. You will probably want the one with a Polaroid lens which I believe is the 412gw
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

For the sun in Cyprus you will need a polarised lens or you will have reflections off the windscreen. If you If you go with the 312gw, you can buy polarised lenses separately. the 412 already has a polarised lens, I believe...
jeba

Post by jeba »

Devil wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:17 am The problem is that certain types of batteries cannot be sent by mail from any EU country by law, whether in the device or separately. Amazon etc. play safe by refusing to send anything with batteries by post. Others may ignore the law but risk confiscation.
It will not be confiscated but returned to sender. Happened twice when my son sent me parcels containing lithium batteries (from Germany though).
jeba

Post by jeba »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:57 am
Aside from anything else, this will seriously impinge on the activities of the two Paphos-based companies who currently transport goods over from the UK in furniture vans,
Would you mind providing a link to those companies? I might want to use their services.
JimX

Post by JimX »

I think many of us know what is what regarding '' batteries'' being sent over, but how do they get them in Cyprus in the first place?
Jim.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:41 pm I remember that Devil recommended a particular brand of GPS dashcam a little while ago (but can't easily find that post); also that Jim Cross recently purchased a dashcam...just wondered which is considered a 'best buy' brand, as we need to replace our 3 units. We'll be popping over to the UK in the not too distant future, so can have delivered there.
The one I recommended was a Nextcam, but the model is surely obsolete now. In particular, I recommended with GPS, as some insurances like to know exactly where an incident occurs.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

I am using a Nextbase 512GW which came in from Amzon.de. They are far from the cheapest but they are good quality and very easy to plumb into the cars fusebox.
It does of course have GPS.
JimX

Post by JimX »

OK but where did you buy the cameras from, Cyprus?

I would never have orders sent by sea you would have to wait too long.

Nextbase dashcams also would not send to Cyprus via Amazon DE, in red alongside the items, also they seem rather too expensive.

Delivery Details
This item does not ship to Cyprus.
Jim.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

https://www.micksgarage.com/home seem to despatch to CY from Ireland. Some models a tad dearer than Amazon.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Jim
I did get mine from Amazon.de last summer and now see it says no delivery to Cyprus.
On checking the reasons for items not accepted for shipping, it may be up to the individual retailer as Cyprus shows under a list of countries to which shipment can be made.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I am just ordering some items for a car and sending them to Cyprus via RSS in Peyia.. I don't mind waiting a few weeks
Trev..
Jamboal

Post by Jamboal »

Are they straight forward to wire in to your cars fuse box or best to use an auto electrician?
smudger

Post by smudger »

You took the words out of my mouth Jamboal. There is no way I could rig this up for myself, so would like any recommendations for those who can. Or would they prefer me to buy the product from them??
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

It is very easy to do basically running the power cable behind the trim, tucking it out of sight as necessary. Some of the trim will likely just lever away though to tuck the wire behind. The fuze box connection is simply find a suitable amperage fuze and insert in a provided convertor so that, that particular fuze supplies two items.You should be able to find a few Youtube instructions as well.
really is very simple to do.
Probably took me somewhere between 10 and 15 mins on a Vauxhall Insignia, and I had never done a similar job before.
smudger

Post by smudger »

bromerzz, many thanks for your helpful instructions, but your talking to an accountant!! A female at that! I can only do numbers!!
You lost me after 'the trim'!?, Guess I need to take it to an auto electrician. But would he/she be happy to fit a dashcam I bought off the Internet??