The Brexit Special

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
ApusApus

Re: The Brexit Special

Post by ApusApus »

Jimgward wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:31 pm Well, a Tory minster wants us to threaten to starve out Ireland, to increase our negotiation power.....

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 72326.html
You should really stop quoting the Independent if you want to improve your creditability ……………………… actually, on second thoughts, keep quoting the Independent? :lol:

Shane
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

:oops: Not interested in personal credibility - but don’t you quote the Mail? :roll:
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Especially for Shane..... His ‘credible’ Express.....

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics ... el-twitter
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Unfortunately Jimgward, I don't do The Mail nor The Express for that matter but obviously you do! :o

Shane
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I'm a well rounded individual - I actually pay to get the Mail delivered - albeit, according to some on here, I'm a communist!

The story is in the Times, if your aspirations reach that far....
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

When they say "UK can cancel Brexit" to whom exactly are they referring ? We, the people, or the politicians we elected to carry out our wishes.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

So, what are our wishes, because they seem to all be different....and dont tell me the referendum was our wishes.... that was 2 years ago and blind. We now know some of the consequences and the majority don’t like what they see....
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

You don't get it Jimgward, do you? The "People's Vote" doesn't keep happening but you seem to think it does ……………… and what will be the position in 2 years time, or 5 or 10 years, do we have another vote when it suits your particular view? :roll:

Shane
jeba

Post by jeba »

Firefly wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:47 pm politicians we elected to carry out our wishes.
Isn´t the UK a representative democracy? If so, you don´t elect MPs to carry out your wishes but rather to take the decisions they deem best.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Correct Jeba.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jeba

Represent us, i.e. carry out the wishes of the people they represent no ?

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Firefly wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:12 pm Jeba

Represent us, i.e. carry out the wishes of the people they represent no ?

Jackie
No. That wouldn´t be a representative democracy (where MPs are only accountable to their conscience and supposed to vote for what they deem best - which isn´t necessarily what the majority of voters want) but a direct democracy (where they are bound e. g. by referenda).
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

So does that mean that the referendum result means nothing if the majority of M.P.s don't want to leave the EU ? If so, it all seems like a huge waste of time and public money and a recipe for disaster.

Brexiteers are becoming restless, not good. Still my initial question remains unanswered.

Jackie
jeba

Post by jeba »

Firefly wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:38 pm So does that mean that the referendum result means nothing if the majority of M.P.s don't want to leave the EU ? If so, it all seems like a huge waste of time and public money and a recipe for disaster.
Well, that´s how representative democracies are supposed to work. It´s not the for electorate to directly make decisions (unlike e. g. in Switzerland).
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Then why did we have a referendum ?
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Jackie- To try and fool the great unwashed into thinking that we actually have some say.
More fools us for falling for it- the same arrogant, entitled elite- global finance, multinationals and their flunkies in politics, the media and academia will, it seems, continue to call the shots.

Jon.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jon

I fear you are correct, we will just have to wait and see what transpires now that Mrs May will continue in her role as P.M.

Jackie
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Spot-on TD. Yet the obvious next step, civil unrest, and revolution, tried in France in 1789, is equally unsuccessful, because they’re still smashing the place up 200 years later.
Mind you, that could be just down to the French temperament, which reminds me of a good saying: “Plus ca change, plus c’est la meme chose”……

Jon
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

T.D.

Quite so, but then why do we allow such a waste of our money without complaint.

Jackie
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Because nobody has yet come up with a better alternative.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.