Campaign to target impatient, careless and rude drivers

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Campaign to target impatient, careless and rude drivers

Post by Paphos Life »

Only a multifaceted, holistic communications strategy can sensitise and change the profile of Cypriot drivers whom, according to a study, are impatient, careless, irresponsible, always in a hurry and rude, Justice Minister Ionas Nicolaou said on Monday....

Read the article and chat about it below...
memory man

Re: Campaign to target impatient, careless and rude drivers

Post by memory man »

Does anyone ever wonder if it's the way in which

they are taught to drive by the so-called professional

driving schools that makes them impatient, careless and rude rivers?
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Swap Cypriot and Singaporean police!
josef k

Post by josef k »

My wife has recently passed her driving test here in Cyprus. During her time learning she used two driving schools and I can't fault them regarding what they taught her, so I suggest the blame for Cypriot driving style should be directed elsewhere. The only problem is that she can now legitimately criticise my driving (and is usually right).
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

memory man wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:40 pm Does anyone ever wonder if it's the way in which

they are taught to drive by the so-called professional

driving schools that makes them impatient, careless and rude rivers?
I don't think this is a fair statement - both my boys have passed their tests in the last few years and appear to have learned everything that I did from their driving schools.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

Driving in most countries come under this bracket but the Cypriots at traffic lights are a rule to themselves but this finger can also be pointed at the Italians and Maltese ever person for themselves........
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Devil wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:57 pm Swap Cypriot and Singaporean police!
Got it in one Dev. 😁

MB
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

Agree on the traffic lights, first thing I have to remember when I am over there is to not stop on amber or you're likely to get rear ended. The advent of cameras on traffic lights in the UK has stopped drivers taking liberties. If they introduced them in Cyprus, the fines that they would collect would probably half the national debt !
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

Must admit HIC I can't see the problems with having cameras..............anyway I thought it wasn't so long ago that you were extolling the virtues of dashcams..............ok to have one in your car but not on a set of traffic lights
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:37 pm Whenever we used to go to the States we were always struck by the almost complete absence of surveillance cameras. How do they manage I wonder?
They know damn well that cameras would be used for target practice, so why have them?
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Lloyd

We used to have police here in the UK that had their own beats, knew who the trouble makers were, and where to go for information, now we do not, if you see a police officer on the street, even in the cities, you're lucky. Like it or not, cameras have taken their place, and as I see if you have nothing to hide, what's the problem ? In fact a lot of people are now having private cameras installed outside their homes, and I am one of them.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
boycott

Post by boycott »

How about buying one of these to drive around toll and fine free from cameras!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -cops.html
WHL

Post by WHL »

boycott wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:52 pm How about buying one of these to drive around toll and fine free from cameras!

Didn't do him much good did it, :lol:
mikesjn

Post by mikesjn »

boycott wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:52 pm How about buying one of these to drive around toll and fine free from cameras!

But it didn't work and he got caught, like the bloke that was sticking his finger up at the speed cameras whilst shielding his number, when they caught him it was much more than a speeding fine. I will just stick to the limits, not Rambo tough or anything, but my dad was a traffic cop and I can remember as a kid he used to say "he will get there 5 minutes faster, if he gets there".
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

I like the traffic light system where there is a count down to when they change colour. Traffic seems so more organised when this is in operation.

Over here even though the traffic lights are green indicating it is safe to move forwards, I always check to make sure the road is clear before I set off and have witnessed several occasions when green did not necessarily mean the road was clear.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

On a lighter note, the mindset of impatient drivers is not just limited to the roads as the other morning I was queuing for a drink upstairs at Debenhams and the man behind me asked me to move forward even though he could see there was no free space ahead of me. He then tried to push in front of me, shouted his order at the staff .......... but in the end he still had to wait his turn because my order was already being prepared.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

galexinda wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:34 pm I like the traffic light system where there is a count down to when they change colour. Traffic seems so more organised when this is in operation.

Over here even though the traffic lights are green indicating it is safe to move forwards, I always check to make sure the road is clear before I set off and have witnessed several occasions when green did not necessarily mean the road was clear.
Likewise red doesn't mean stop, you just have to be watchful …………… all of the time!

Shane
smudger

Post by smudger »

Reminds me of the old question - what does the amber light mean????

It's always stop!!
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

galexinda wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:34 pm I like the traffic light system where there is a count down to when they change colour. Traffic seems so more organised when this is in operation.
We've recently experienced these driving through Czech Republic and Austria and thought they were great. There have been a few studies that show improvements in driver responses at junctions.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

'We've recently experienced these driving through Czech Republic and Austria and thought they were great. There have been a few studies that show improvements in driver responses at junctions'.

Also found on this island Lofos-Jan, as is also an effective speed camera system!