Pioneer Beach Sunset

If you want to share your pictures or videos and keep them in one place, then post them here.

For pictures, max dimensions: 1024x1024. Max file size: 256K
Miyagi

Pioneer Beach Sunset

Post by Miyagi »

Haven't posted for a while and here is a photo of tonight (8th November 2018) sunset taken from Pioneer Beach Hotel near the St. Nicholas church with an iPhone X.

ImagePioneer Beach Sunset by Stan, on Flickr
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: Pioneer Beach Sunset

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Great moody picture, thanks for posting....perhaps some more photos from you in the future?

Max
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Superb photo.
All things are possible
Miyagi

Post by Miyagi »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:05 pm Great moody picture, thanks for posting....perhaps some more photos from you in the future?

Max

Thanks, Max. I don't live in Paphos full time but have an apartment here and come to stay 3 to 4 time a year and stay for about 4 to 6 weeks each trip. So a lot of my photos are not Cyprus/Paphos related.

Here are some from the past years.

ImageKelefos Bridge by Stan, on Flickr

ImageSunset Wreck by Stan, on Flickr

ImagePafos Sunset by Stan, on Flickr
JimX

Post by JimX »

Great Photos Stan, amazing people still hump bag full of photographic equipment, I have two Canon DSLs and lens, never used now, most photos are good enough to post online via a decent Phone, I use a Samsung J5 nothing special but it takes fantastic photos, the bonus is you have it with you most of the time, phone cameras have changed photography big time, they are used for photos by all now.

Happy snapping. I particularly like the last shot! :)
Jim.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Nah, nothing beats a decent DSLR. Phones do have the convenience factor, but I can get much better results with a decent camera.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Oh, and nice pics, Stan. :)
JimX

Post by JimX »

Having been part-time pro photographer Dom have to say I agree with your comments, BUT who needs to carry equipment around all day? when you see results as posted here the proof is in the pudding, and why photography is back in the hands of people now not just a dedicated few thankfully, anyway two Canon DSLs for sale if you're interested, my mobile now fills anything I did in the past, well almost.

These better results are seen on the internet? I find the pixel count is more than adequate for Web use, the proof is above.

My Canon DSLRs, lens and flash unit and tripod are going to stay in my wardrobe.

Big plus point is your all singing dancing camera in your pocket also makes phone calls say cheese, please. :)
Jim.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I carry my phone in my camera bag, along with my DSLR, a 360 camera, and cleaning equipment. It isn't heavy.

I don't use a tripod normally though, but that would be a pain to hoof about I agree.

However, you get a cleaner picture with a DSLR. It won't be noticable for a lot of shots, but if you have an image that you only want to use a smaller portion of, the cropped DSLR version will look better than the phone version.

Don't get me wrong, I took one of my favourite sunset pics with a phone. But I prefer the DSLR.

Oh the other advantage of the phone is that it is a cinch to upload the image to facebook. I will grant you that. :)
JimX

Post by JimX »

Well, I don't understand why you carry all that about when a simple camera phone does a job like those above, all the world now uses camera phones, there is a good reason for that Dominic, it's called convenience the results like Stans are there for all to see. Don't think I am in my car all of the time and for sure there is no need to lug around all those camera and equipment, of course, it your choice, but I stand in my corner waiting to see if I can spot a picture now that is not taken on a phone OR a digital SLR.

I had a lifetime of SLR of all makes and models now looking at the Internet I cannot see any way a high-end camera outperforms most camera phones especially when just posting on the web, printing a picture off is another matter, but I rarely do that now, digitally stored on the "cloud" you do not even need to use a connect cable to upload to your PC, way to go I feel. I certainly will not be going down the lugging rout again :D
Jim.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Jim
Can you send me details of the DSLRs you have for sale please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

JimX wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:14 pm Well, I don't understand why you carry all that about when a simple camera phone does a job like those above, all the world now uses camera phones, there is a good reason for that Dominic, it's called convenience the results like Stans are there for all to see. Don't think I am in my car all of the time and for sure there is no need to lug around all those camera and equipment, of course, it your choice, but I stand in my corner waiting to see if I can spot a picture now that is not taken on a phone OR a digital SLR.

I had a lifetime of SLR of all makes and models now looking at the Internet I cannot see any way a high-end camera outperforms most camera phones especially when just posting on the web, printing a picture off is another matter, but I rarely do that now, digitally stored on the "cloud" you do not even need to use a connect cable to upload to your PC, way to go I feel. I certainly will not be going down the lugging rout again :D
An iPhone X is not a run of the mill phone though. It costs more than a lot of of DSLRs for a start. We can do a little test. I took some similar pics today from the phone and the camera. We will see which is best.

Watch this space... :)
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Ok, so both phone (Samsung J3 2017) and camera (Nikon D5600 with standard 18-55 lens) were set to auto mode, and snapped the same scene. It was about 4PM.

I have scaled both pictures to 1024x683. The phone image had the top and bottom clipped so that it would be the same size, making it 100% fair. I then saved the images with sufficient compression to be under 250K in size.

Camera #1:
cam01-01.jpg
cam01-01.jpg (229.94 KiB) Viewed 7059 times

Camera #2:
cam02-01.jpg
cam02-01.jpg (243.27 KiB) Viewed 7059 times

In the second shot, I have cropped the original image to include just the tree without any scaling. These are raw pixels you are looking at now.

Camera #1:

cam01-02.jpg
cam01-02.jpg (158.22 KiB) Viewed 7059 times

Camera #2:

cam02-02.jpg
cam02-02.jpg (198.18 KiB) Viewed 7059 times

Camera #1 has better resolution, so you see less of the tree. This is the image with a bit of scaling to show camera 1's take on the whole tree:

cam01-02a.jpg
cam01-02a.jpg (187.26 KiB) Viewed 7059 times
Part 2 in a mo... 
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

For Part 2, we have a distant shot of Lysos, with light fading a bit:

Camera 1:

cam01-03.jpg
cam01-03.jpg (65.48 KiB) Viewed 7059 times

Camera 2:

cam02-03.jpg
cam02-03.jpg (81.44 KiB) Viewed 7059 times

Zooming in to the village:

Camera 1:

cam01-04.jpg
cam01-04.jpg (78.11 KiB) Viewed 7059 times

Camera 2:

cam02-04.jpg
cam02-04.jpg (62.43 KiB) Viewed 7059 times

So the question is, which camera is the smart phone, and which is the DSLR?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Apologies to Stan for hijacking his photos mind, which really are lovely. :)
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I don't know which is which.. But for sure the last picture is rubbish
Trev..
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

If one does not understand the basics of good photography it does not really matter which camera is used. I was very lucky when I met a famous German Press photographer here in Cyprus in 1971 in Kyrenia where my holiday destination at the Mare Monte Hotel was. He had the bungalow next to mine and he introduced me into the basics of decent photography. For example to choose foreground objects either focused or blurred to produce a interesting pic or the other way round that the background is not focused but the object you want to show with macro setting. Most important are manual settings for excellent photos. If you want only a simple snapshot than a good smart phone CAN do the job. But if photographing is your baby you need at least a Bridge Camera and not a handy.

There is a example from a glass crystal in macro setting, distance to the object 4 cm, manual focused, Aperture priority, shutter speed 1/320 sec
I want to show and in focus the teeth-like crystals on this object...

By the way: except the first photo from Miyagi which is done with a Apple iPhone X, all the other ones are done with a decent expensive camera. (Just open the flickr link where it shows it all...)

Max
JimX

Post by JimX »

It is not the camera or the price you pay for it, it is the chap looking through that viewfinder, not the make or model of the camera, most smartphones produce excellent snaps well good enough for posting on the internet, this is a fact. I will never go back to SLRs very happy with the results from my Samsung J5 it is always with me so no need to walk back to my car. I would admit low light conditions for smartphones is not the best, the size of the aperture is the problem, although the next generation of "smarts" is looking amazingly good, try and find what is coming along.

Stans pictures say it all, a very famous photographer Ernest Haas once said the best lens is your legs. I have a Canon 500mm telephoto lens, never used it here, no need to be honest. But I am always happy to see any members snaps particularly Stans.

have a look at this. if you find the time.

http://www.cameronkline.com/photography ... ernst-haas

https://www.azquotes.com/quote/1309344

top DLSR

Samsung phone shot in HD, personally on the web with my 32" monitor I see absolutely no difference in pixel quality.
Attachments
2016-03-10 10.02.15_zps2d94uqnk.jpg
2016-03-10 10.02.15_zps2d94uqnk.jpg (192.07 KiB) Viewed 7010 times
garden centre.jpg
garden centre.jpg (106.05 KiB) Viewed 7010 times
Jim.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Sometimes you can't use your legs. This was the other side of a valley. Besides, I wasn't even using a zoom lens. I was using photoshop to zoom in on a portion of a photograph. That was my whole point. You have much more flexibility with a DSLR shot as you can use portions of the image far more easily.

Anyway, enjoy your phone.

Oh, and had you bothered to read Max's post you would have seen that Stan's pictures, other than the first one, were taken on a DSLR. :lol: